• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ultimatum given to Ben Roethlisberger.........

steelreeling

Reaction score
So we have the worst QB in the division with or without Ben? Now thats encouraging!

Nevertheless, a real case can be made that Pittsburgh now has the worst quarterback in its division. That’s rare territory Pittsburgh hasn’t occupied really since Roethlisberger took over as the starter.
Ben's noodle will get a lot stronger.

i'd be MUCH more worried about Lamar Jackson if i were the Ravens. That man was Coronated the year before, but it looks like some people figured his *** out.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Give him a 3 year extension, 15 mil as a signing bonus, since it technically is already his anyway. League min with a shitload of incentives. Cap hit this year 5 mil + min. Dead money next year, 10 mil.
I can see something like that. I hate the dead money but, who knows, Ben may look even better this year. If he works on his legs so his "arthritis" isn't a big issue (if that was the injury he had at all), and works on his mechanics, the basics, he could be better than last year and they may want him to stay past this year. That is a possibility.

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
My ultimatum to ben is this

1) Thank you for being QB for he Pittsburgh Steelers since 2004.

2) everybody who is a true fan of this team, in this city, knows that Ben would be held in much higher national regard if he played in a major market- Just ask Clemente.

3) Ben has provided some of the most thrilling Steeler Highlights, amazing plays, and victories that I cherish. My love for this team goes back to the days of Hannraty and Shankiln.

4) No matter what anyone says- the NFL had a crisis on its hand when NE was caught cheating, the NFL lied (2004 AFC Championship Game), the NFL covered up, because the extent of that scandal threatened to bring down the league. This scandal is still being covered up and it remains Roger Goodells original sin and it has, to this day, enduring repercussions that have extended throughout Ben's entire career.

5) Ben showed how people can change and he has continued to live up to that standard. It is a life lesson that was played out on a national stage. He could of fought it, the law was likely on his side, but I believe he looked at the person that he had become and he made life changes. That is a testament to the individual and the network that supported him.

6) Our offense that past 2 years was based on short passes. When Ben went out, Rudolph came in and then stopped throwing the ball downfield, king of the checkdowns.

Duck came on and played with abandon, people loved it, until he too was bridled, and checking down. I called it fearful Fichtner disease, always preaching doubt.

Our offense this year came to a halt when BMORE showed the world that we would not throw downfield. Was that Ben's surgically repaired arm? or was that Fearful Fichtner running the same offense he ran the previous season??

I am going with the latter.

7) My ultimatum is this-I am looking forward to climbing the Stairway to Seven, with #7, this year, with Ben as our QB, and going out on top.

Last edited:

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Give him a 3 year extension, 15 mil as a signing bonus, since it technically is already his anyway. League min with a shitload of incentives. Cap hit this year 5 mil + min. Dead money next year, 10 mil.
I was hoping for a two year 8mil each and spread the 22mil over the two. BEN will be essentually done at end of contract.

Salute the nation

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
The "CAP" is a neccessary evil as if we didn't have it you wuld get ateam like new England buying & cheating into championships. ALSO you would have teams like cincinnati not spending yet garnering a ton of money off the nfl. The cap needs to be there but it's the contracts that are at fault. They need gauranteed contracts and NO pushing things forward, no signing bomus and ONLY pay per game. That would keep players from jumping ship mid-contract. ALSO drafted rookies get a 3 year and every
bpdy else from FA to walk on's to undrafted get a 2 year. When said player has 1 year left then the team can negotiate a one year contract from then on. NO signing bonuses / pay forwarded, just paycheck per game. Obviously there are a lot of flaws but it would be a start. Yes there would be some jumping ship once contract expired and that would be ok but hence contract enforced, nothing can happen unless both party's agree to a trade. Suspensions / IR / sit outs all add legnth to contract as that would be time not served. Yes players could make big game checks as pay would all be increased per game to compensate for the old way up front money.

Salute the nation
aaaaaaaand this is all a big pile of words that the players union would laugh at, very hard. a pipe dream.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I can see something like that. I hate the dead money but, who knows, Ben may look even better this year. If he works on his legs so his "arthritis" isn't a big issue (if that was the injury he had at all), and works on his mechanics, the basics, he could be better than last year and they may want him to stay past this year. That is a possibility.
You keep saying this, but at some point the body isn't going to recover as well because of age. Roethlisberger was bad for 1/3 the games he played last year. One great half against Indianapolis and big numbers against a soft Cleveland defense holding a 28-point lead somehow has made people forget his poor play over the final 5-6 games.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think that drop-off was do to injury and coaching inability to scheme as well as field a capable running game.

We shall see how Ben looks out of the gates......

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I think that drop-off was do to injury and coaching inability to scheme as well as field a capable running game.

We shall see how Ben looks out of the gates......
Ben was fine early in the season and the coaching was fine as well as they were scoring 30 points per game. Yes, the coaching got worse, but his deep ball was atrocious then he stopped consistently completing the short passes as well. Ben didn't even consider throwing the mid-range passes.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
with some guys cap hits Haden, nelson Ebron to retain ben and juju and maybe Dupree as well, then I am willing to cut Haden only if we get William Jackson or Sherman, Ebron keep for another year, bring Jessie back to be the blocking back while in the draft you have guys like Jordan, Long, Yeabow, Eubanks, Farrell.
the 2 big 10 guys in a year should develop into 3 down te as both can block and catch, Jordan and Yeabow are your vertical threats that can cause mismatch nightmares in the slot and up the seem.Ebron has already started working out and he was solid since his benching, was knocked out cold vs Cincy which hurt, and if I recall vs Buffalo as well or did not pass the concussion test for that game, did everything possible wildcard game to keep the chains moving. Ask him and Nelson to restructure. Vince you can cut have Spilliane back for cheap draft a 3 down MLB like Mcgrone or Moses or Fields11. Use Gilbert in the dime dropping into coverage.

deljzc

Reaction score
There is a LOT of talk and leaks right now to the press on this issue, which I would be worried about. Both sides seem to playing the PR game to cover their *****.

I mean, the team is almost positioning themselves in the court of public opinion to make Roethlisberger look greedy and find a way to cut him, which might be what they want to do all along. It is really unclear to me what both sides really want. What they are SAYING might not be true.

How it plays out between now and March 17th is anyone's guess in my opinion.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
IMHO, Ben is NOT the problem, COACHING is.
and most of that Staff is gone and been replaced, and commitment from ownership has stated comitment to fix the run game and OL

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
and most of that Staff is gone and been replaced, and commitment from ownership has stated comitment to fix the run game and OL
Yet the man that makes all the decisions is still in place, just some of the fall guys are gone. Nothing really changed

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If the Steelers cut Ben without paying the 15 mil, I bet you don’t see restructures from other players on that team, ever again.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If the Steelers cut Ben without paying the 15 mil, I bet you don’t see restructures from other players on that team, ever again.

The Steelers are not going to cut BEN. They will work out an amicable contract and all will be well. There is no delusional banter going on in the meadia.

STEELERS can't afford the 19mil and Ben said they are working on a solution.

Salute the nation

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Yet the man that makes all the decisions is still in place, just some of the fall guys are gone. Nothing really changed
MT mostly runs the D he has delegated a lot to the former assistants I think with him entering his last year guaranteed he will intervene more with Matt Canada on run vs pass and the type of passes and hopefully using Dobbs or Haskins on some trick plays in RPO or read option. heard juju has deleted TikTok and the banner is going to be staying off social media till he has a new deal we knew the Cincy and bills impact from juju dancing warm-ups on both team's midfield logo set the tone and put a big target on him. MT had talks with juju re his dancing yet if and Minkah both could have shut their mouths the week of early Jan it wouldn't have given the browns extra fire that I have played them 12 times its the same or I seen their coverages both should of STFU. I really hope this is preached in Latrobe and if a guy like JJ comes in and after analyst calling Heyward as a leader hopefully, they will be tough sheriffs to the team if any breach re twitter trash talk or giving opponents bulletin board material.

MT forged, Tomlin loves a heavy run game but he couldn't with the decline of the OL and Conner's inability to stay healthy so he let Fitcher run his short screen slant but should of after the Washington game told him to expand the playbook.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You keep saying this, but at some point the body isn't going to recover as well because of age. Roethlisberger was bad for 1/3 the games he played last year. One great half against Indianapolis and big numbers against a soft Cleveland defense holding a 28-point lead somehow has made people forget his poor play over the final 5-6 games.
No **** but the Steelers ARE NOT going to tank a season just to get a top 5 pick to land a franchise QB. They are always going to play to win it all. Ben gives them, by far, the best chance of who's on the team and they cannot afford anyone else even if cutting Ben. I will always take the Steelers and their history over any other organization in the NFL. You can ***** and moan because you don't like Ben or don't want him on the team but he still gives us the best chance to win it all. I'll take it. I don't want to be the Cleveland Clowns or any other team in the NFL>

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
cutting Ben puts us league compliant, as said above. we'd be $10mil under the cap.

but we'd be going into the season with Mason and Haskins as our QBs. We could even cut Bince and get more money under the cap. Still doesnt change our QB situation. But if we were to do that, and dip into the FA pool, we could bring in some **** like Blake Bortles, Jameis Winston, Cam Newton, Matt Barkley, Geno Smith, CJ Beathard, or Mitch Trubisky to give us three turdriffic options at QB.

IMO, if we do cut Ben, or even if we don't - one guy we could target at Center is Matt Skura from Baltimore. It's obvious that OL knew how to run block. Then we're not entering the Draft in dire need of a center.

Canada would also need to focus his offense on running the ball. So that would push Najee Harris up our draft board. Which may not be a bad thing.

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
cutting Ben puts us league compliant, as said above. we'd be $10mil under the cap.

but we'd be going into the season with Mason and Haskins as our QBs. We could even cut Bince and get more money under the cap. Still doesnt change our QB situation. But if we were to do that, and dip into the FA pool, we could bring in some **** like Blake Bortles, Jameis Winston, Cam Newton, Matt Barkley, Geno Smith, CJ Beathard, or Mitch Trubisky to give us three turdriffic options at QB.

IMO, if we do cut Ben, or even if we don't - one guy we could target at Center is Matt Skura from Baltimore. It's obvious that OL knew how to run block. Then we're not entering the Draft in dire need of a center.

Canada would also need to focus his offense on running the ball. So that would push Najee Harris up our draft board. Which may not be a bad thing.
ONLY one of those that could possibly make chicken salad out of chicken poo.
But it won't make a lick of difference if our O-Line and run game remain deficient.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
ONLY one of those that could possibly make chicken salad out of chicken poo.
But it won't make a lick of difference if our O-Line and run game remain deficient.
Our weakest link wouldn't help any QB under center. One way or another the O-line is in need of some serious help.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe they work out a deal to cut Ben Then sign him to a new contract in a few days?

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe they work out a deal to cut Ben Then sign him to a new contract in a few days?

Not sure if that would help with the "CAP" hit or not? I guess it partly depends on how much 4$$ we resign him for?

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Our weakest link wouldn't help any QB under center. One way or another the O-line is in need of some serious help.

That's why we need 2 out of three or two out of four of the first four rounds to be "HIT" OL.
I know value has to be there.!
If we got that and RB & TE, i'd call this draft complete success.

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
No **** but the Steelers ARE NOT going to tank a season just to get a top 5 pick to land a franchise QB. They are always going to play to win it all. Ben gives them, by far, the best chance of who's on the team and they cannot afford anyone else even if cutting Ben. I will always take the Steelers and their history over any other organization in the NFL. You can ***** and moan because you don't like Ben or don't want him on the team but he still gives us the best chance to win it all. I'll take it. I don't want to be the Cleveland Clowns or any other team in the NFL>
I wouldn’t want them tanking and I think they trade up the next time they want a QB. This also has nothing to do with how I feel about Ben—btw, one of my favorite players of all time—but based on what I saw last year, I don’t think he can play at a high level for 16 games. If we see the December/January version of Ben, they have no chance at the playoffs let alone competing for a title.