• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Underappreciated Pittsburgh Steelers: Mewelde Moore

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
There is no doubt, in all aspects of life, there are some things that really are underappreciated—especially when it comes to the Pittsburgh Steelers. In this series as we approach the 2021 NFL regular season, I will examine former (and some current) Pittsburgh Steelers that can sometimes be forgotten when we talk about Steelers history. Some of these Steelers had brief careers, some excellent longevity. However, while every player has played a role, some have gone under the radar despite their contributions. This could be due to the era they played in, the talent in that era, or even just some of the Steelers teams they played on.

In 2007, starting running back Willie Parker entered Week 16 leading the league with 1,317 yards rushing. The Steelers needed a win and a Cleveland Browns loss that week going into St. Louis to face against the Rams on Thursday Night Football. Within a matter of a few plays, the promising season the Steelers had taken a turn for the worst. Willie Parker carried the ball one time for a one-yard loss—his final play of the season. It would be revealed on that play, he suffered a season-ending break in his leg. Despite production from Najeh Davenport and Carey Davis (totaling over 150 yards on the ground), the Steelers entered the playoffs with not only an ailing defense, they now would be missing an integral offensive weapon.

In 2008, the Steelers drafted running back Rashard Mendenhall with the intent of depleted running back being minimized. To support this they signed today’s underappreciated Steeler: free agent running back Mewelde Moore.

Before coming to the Steelers, Mewelde Moore spent four years in Minnesota—one year with future Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin—and racked up 1,285 yards rushing and a touchdown. With his skill sets being strong in pass receiving (116 catches in the previous four years), he was seen as a 3rd down/backup running back. However, with Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall battling injuries, Moore was soon the “next man up” and would be a key contributor to a Steelers Super Bowl run.

In four starts, Moore averaged 90 yards per game on the ground, accumulated 6 touchdowns, and helped the Steelers to key victories in a stretch where the offense struggled heavily.

Notably during his time at the plate… taking over for an injured Mendenhall in overtime, Moore caught a pass that would eventually send the Steelers home with a win over the Baltimore Ravens on a Jeff Reed field goal. The following week in Jacksonville, he racked up 99 yards rushing, making key blocks on the final Steelers drive that capped off a vintage Ben Roethlisberger play-infused march. He followed up this performance with 120 yards rushing and 3 total touchdowns against the Cincinnati Bengals. He would become a relied upon back for the rest of the season; even with the return of Willie Parker.

While some may say his contributions were little, they were nonetheless immensely significant. Without his ability to step in, key plays and contributions would be sorely missed. Mewelde Moore embodied the mantra of “next man up.” His play shouldn’t be overlooked. He was a key piece to the Steelers’ 6th Lombardi trophy run. Even on Santonio Holmes’ game-winning touchdown, Moore’s presence in the flat made the Cardinals stay honest and account for him—leading to that *small* passing lane to Tone.

Credit: NY Daily News

Credit: NY Daily News

Whether they played 14 years or four, there is no doubt those with limited roles can be vastly overlooked. Moore spent four years with the Steelers before playing a year in Indianapolis and retiring. There is no doubt, some of his best memories and moments were on that 2008 Steelers squad. He is contributions and play are incredibly valuable.

So to Mr. Moore, I say: Thank you for being a Pittsburgh Steeler! A Steeler for life.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice write up and reminder JOBE, thanks.

Mewelde was a very good player and we got him relatively cheap. I loved the way he could come in and not miss a beat. NEXT man up embodies him very well. I thank him for his contributions and memories.

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Moore was a solid player.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I remember he seemed to tear up Cincy

In 2008 he had 3 TDs and his first 100+ yard game while wearing the B & G uniform. AGAINST the Bungles.

Break out the BACON cooker !!!!!

Salute the nation

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
In 2008 he had 3 TDs and his first 100+ yard game while wearing the B & G uniform. AGAINST the Bungles.

Break out the BACON cooker !!!!!

Salute the nation
Man, my memory is sharp.

bring out the bacon baby. You gotta cook it though Drink, it’s my bday bud. Bday bacon for this 32 year old (yougster?)

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Man, my memory is sharp.

bring out the bacon baby. You gotta cook it though Drink, it’s my bday bud. Bday bacon for this 32 year old (yougster?)

First HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAN !!!!!

I have just the BACON cooker.................... It's the HB2032 designed for cooking BACON just the way 32 year olds like it. Three simple set up questions and it makes it perfect for yaz.

1) What season of the year were you born ?

2) how much is your desired proportion (in POUNDS)

3) what is the Bank account & routing number along with SS number and credit card number, you know........... in order to set up auto delivery of the BACON.

Salute the nation

Reactions: MTC

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
First HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAN !!!!!

I have just the BACON cooker.................... It's the HB2032 designed for cooking BACON just the way 32 year olds like it. Three simple set up questions and it makes it perfect for yaz.

1) What season of the year were you born ?

2) how much is your desired proportion (in POUNDS)

3) what is the Bank account & routing number along with SS number and credit card number, you know........... in order to set up auto delivery of the BACON.

Salute the nation
1. Summer
2. 5lbs of bacon
3. No ACH can I call in my payment

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Happy Birthday!

Bday bacon for this 32 year old (yougster?)
32... ah, but a distant memory...