• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Unvaccinated Players Could Mean Forfeits

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Should the sun refuse to shine,........eh, we'll all be dead.

Not neccessarily..................... We have some here who can replace that shine with the shine they emmit.......................

Salute the nation

FatsHolmes

Reaction score
It would financially hurt both sides. There could be something in the contract that states the NFL maintains the right to cancel games or seasons for whatever reason they choose.
There could be, but there is a current contract in place. The owners can't just change it mid-stream. If they want that sort of thing, they need to renegotiate the contract or get the union to go agree with it.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
There could be, but there is a current contract in place. The owners can't just change it mid-stream. If they want that sort of thing, they need to renegotiate the contract or get the union to go agree with it.
I suspect the front office wouldn’t make such a declaration if they knew it violated the contract. Forget Covid, games or an entire season could need to be cancelled for any number of reasons. The NFL might have had the foresight to partially protect themselves financially in such a situation. Have sports leagues that folded continued to pay players salaries?

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Surprise, surprise.....the NFL takes the lead in virtue signalling.

They said this publicly as their negotiating starts with the NFLPA to force the union to publicly oppose forced vaccinations....so that if the NFL has to "back down" on this policy, they have public cover and can finger point at the union.

I would expect more of this behaviour going forwards.

Perhaps those players, and coaches, against vaccinations for personal reasons could think of a protest that might resonate with others that strongly feel similarly about individual rights over their own bodies.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know how they can stop it. If you don't want to be vaccinated then don't play and don't get paid. I look for a lot of different venues to start checking for vaccination cards. I have no doubt ole' Rog is all about the money. This ends up in court in some fashion.
The players belong to something called a Union. While it isn't the strongest Union I understand. I'm sure though if the owners agree to some type of compension($$$$$$) for the players the union would gladly sign off on it.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

They said this publicly as their negotiating starts with the NFLPA to force the union to publicly oppose forced vaccinations....so that if the NFL has to "back down" on this policy, they have public cover and can finger point at the union.

Perhaps those players, and coaches, against vaccinations for personal reasons could think of a protest that might resonate with others that strongly feel similarly about individual rights over their own bodies.

Maybe the non-inoculated could take a knee .............. or something like that.

Salute the nation

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Should the sun refuse to shine,........eh, we'll all be dead.

Ah!! Nice semi reference to Zeppelin. Robert had such a way with his lyrics.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
The players belong to something called a Union. While it isn't the strongest Union I understand. I'm sure though if the owners agree to some type of compension($$$$$$) for the players the union would gladly sign off on it.
I think there are two separate areas of representation here. The union involves players. They are not Tier 1 members on the Teams. Those are Coaches, Assistants, Trainers and F/O folks. The players are given the choice. If they participate, are not vaccinated and cause another outbreak to impact player availability then the onus is on the player. Just like in any other employer/employee relationship.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
Like the freedom employers have to institute their own policies and the freedom employees have to quit their job if they don’t like those policies? Those freedoms?
But you don't like those things as you are against right to work States. Employers should not ever have the right to tell someone they must take an experimental emergency use drug of any kind. What happened to right to choose? I am all for vaccinations including this one but I am also for individuals freedoms. Unless or until it is formally approved and proven safe I will not support any type of mandatory vaccinations or limitations on those who choose not to take it. I have taken it and recommend getting it but I don't have the right to force others to make the same choice I made on this emergency use vaccination.

Troglodyte

Reaction score

That’s a myopic theory. 80 percent of NFL players have chosen to get vaccinated, they are also represented by the NFLPA and ostensibly in favor of fellow players getting vaccinated.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I think there are two separate areas of representation here. The union involves players. They are not Tier 1 members on the Teams. Those are Coaches, Assistants, Trainers and F/O folks. The players are given the choice. If they participate, are not vaccinated and cause another outbreak to impact player availability then the onus is on the player. Just like in any other employer/employee relationship.
I agree.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
That’s a myopic theory. 80 percent of NFL players have chosen to get vaccinated, they are also represented by the NFLPA and ostensibly in favor of fellow players getting vaccinated.
Myopic is thinking that those vaccinated will not get Covid. And that the NFL is not virtue signalling.

Maybe teams will test all players for immunity or antibodies.

Lets see how this works out.

How does that saying go? "My body, my choice"?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Myopic is thinking that those vaccinated will not get Covid. And that the NFL is not virtue signalling.

Maybe teams will test all players for immunity or antibodies.

Lets see how this works out.

How does that saying go? "My body, my choice"?
Yeah that vaccine definitely won't prevent people from getting Covid. But it could save their life. I am still in the their choice ballpark. Doesn't prevent anyone's workplace imposing their will. I am curious the stance the Steelers will take with their yellow banded refusers. Will they put them in a different locker room? Will there be peer pressure? Will it cause a rift in lockerooms? Stay tuned more drama sure to come.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Reports are we have one iof the highest vaccinated rate among teams and unvaccinated players will be wearing tags on their sleaves any report from pics show how many are wearing those tags

steelreeling

Reaction score
Yeah that vaccine definitely won't prevent people from getting Covid. But it could save their life. I am still in the their choice ballpark. Doesn't prevent anyone's workplace imposing their will. I am curious the stance the Steelers will take with their yellow banded refusers. Will they put them in a different locker room? Will there be peer pressure? Will it cause a rift in lockerooms? Stay tuned more drama sure to come.
i think this may come to bear more significantly than anyone realizes.

the teams are in an impossible situation because they cannot just cut players without impacting their salary cap.

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
So if Baltimore is 10-6 heading into week 17 against the Steelers
And Steelers are 9-7 going into week 17 with a better division record having already beaten the Ravens in a previous game

A sudden covid outbreak by the Ravens would assure them of 10-7 record and the Steelers a record of 9-8 ..... or are they 10-7 as well
at the same time saving salary money by not paying both teams

Sounds like the front office of the NFL really thought this through

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Just get the vax. I wouldn't want to lose my job let alone a ******* multi-millionaire's gig. I hate the gov't overlord bullshit...but abortions....

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
and i'd wager that 80 percent or so are also gun owners. how does that change your stance on guns?

anyway, moving this to R&P. its served its time in Football Only.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
So if Baltimore is 10-6 heading into week 17 against the Steelers
And Steelers are 9-7 going into week 17 with a better division record having already beaten the Ravens in a previous game

A sudden covid outbreak by the Ravens would assure them of 10-7 record and the Steelers a record of 9-8 ..... or are they 10-7 as well
at the same time saving salary money by not paying both teams

Sounds like the front office of the NFL really thought this through
If the Ravens have the outbreak they take the loss and the Steelers get the win i believe.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
and i'd wager that 80 percent or so are also gun owners. how does that change your stance on guns?

anyway, moving this to R&P. its served its time in Football Only.
I think the more important point here is what percentage of gun owning, gay NFL players are fully vaccinated?

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the more important point here is what percentage of gun owning, gay NFL players are fully vaccinated?
gun-owning, gay, Liberal NFL players, you mean.

Tim Steelersfan

Flog's Daddy
Contributor
Reaction score
There is a professor at the University of Arizona who identifies as a hippo. Really.

We recognize 59 or 123 genders now I forget which. Can't discriminate against them either.

Just identify as vaccinated. Move on.

PS...how many NFL players have we lost to COVID? Anyone?

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
this certainly will tip the scales to get more players to get the jabby jab stabby stab that floggy so loves

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score