• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Update on cap for 2021

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
When you see how bad our cap is maybe the front office should take some heat with some of the deals and decisions they have made.

Are you kidding me? They couldn't have planned on a pandemic. This cap would have been close to $210 in a normal year, above that with the new streaming/ exclusive TV Contract coming out. They'd be $6M under that cap and room to restructure. That meant they could have kept JuJu with little restructuring.

Steelers are a close to cap team in how they operate. They don't dump talent or have much unrest, like other teams, that force dropping talented players. AB is our only one. We aren't bottom feeders like most of the high cap space teams. Just sucks that our style of cap management met a situation where you can't have fans in the stands.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I just think that bringing Ben back is based upon sentimentality and faint hope versus a sound business decision for the better of the team in the long run. I wish he was just a 20 million last year hit and they could give it a go, but tacking money on beyond next year is just a bad idea. If he still really wants to play, let him find a Rivers type scenario and give it a go. I saw nothing from this team that leads me to believe he could get them to a deep playoff run.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
I just think that bringing Ben back is based upon sentimentality and faint hope versus a sound business decision for the better of the team in the long run. I wish he was just a 20 million last year hit and they could give it a go, but tacking money on beyond next year is just a bad idea. If he still really wants to play, let him find a Rivers type scenario and give it a go. I saw nothing from this team that leads me to believe he could get them to a deep playoff run.
Sask, the focal point you are suggesting seems to looking at the team cap status for 2021 only. You have to look at it from a future standing because of the new TV deal. If Ben returns, the restructure will be to add voidable years. His $15 mil roster bonus will be included, of course but that along with his regular salary including the escalators would be spread out for 2 or 3 years. If and once Ben retires, say next year, the remaining contract is voided with all the dead money counting in 2022, of which so far they will have almost $160+ mil in cap space. More than enough to cover Ben’s dead money (maybe $20-30 mil).

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Ike you can package it up anyway you like it. It is still taking out an additional mortgage on your house to buy a boat. If I thought they were a championship contending team next year with Ben I'd be all for the remortgage. They aren't. Time to move on and get the long term cap as healthy as possible. They will have a ton of cap space in 2022. That is very true. However that is only currently counting 17 players out of a 53 man roster.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Sask, the focal point you are suggesting seems to looking at the team cap status for 2021 only. You have to look at it from a future standing because of the new TV deal. If Ben returns, the restructure will be to add voidable years. His $15 mil roster bonus will be included, of course but that along with his regular salary including the escalators would be spread out for 2 or 3 years. If and once Ben retires, say next year, the remaining contract is voided with all the dead money counting in 2022, of which so far they will have almost $160+ mil in cap space. More than enough to cover Ben’s dead money (maybe $20-30 mil).
Our odds are better to win a championship over the next two year with Ben,than without. He does need to get on it conditioning, but the odds are heavily against us finding "that guy" at the qb position anytime soon. We've had 2 of those guys. Ben&Bradshaw. That's it. We have a long,long list of guys who couldn't get it done.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Our odds are better to win a championship over the next two year with Ben,than without. He does need to get on it conditioning, but the odds are heavily against us finding "that guy" at the qb position anytime soon. We've had 2 of those guys. Ben&Bradshaw. That's it. We have a long,long list of guys who couldn't get it done.

What odds would you put on the team winning another title in the next couple of years? We’ve gotten embarrassed at home by the Jags and Browns with arguably better rosters than we will have next year.

My whole thing with Ben isn’t about money. I do want to see him play for another 2-3 years. However, what I saw this year worries me that he won’t hold up over a full season and he showed that he wasn’t physically capable of making some pretty basic throws anymore. I don’t want to see him go out like that.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Ike, Bince will be cut / signed or possibly extended as desperate times brings every conceivable action to save $$$denar$$$. I don't think anyone is safe from scrutiny to some degree when it comes to money trim. I'm guessing the FO has a pretty good idea as what is going to happen as far as cut or keep goes to money savings strategy. They have a plan for each direction a player may take, keep / retire / cut / extend / resign etc..

I'm on the BOAT that thinks the front office will get it done and it's the same boat that serves BACON 24/7.

Salute the nation

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
What odds would you put on the team winning another title in the next couple of years? We’ve gotten embarrassed at home by the Jags and Browns with arguably better rosters than we will have next year.

My whole thing with Ben isn’t about money. I do want to see him play for another 2-3 years. However, what I saw this year worries me that he won’t hold up over a full season and he showed that he wasn’t physically capable of making some pretty basic throws anymore. I don’t want to see him go out like that.
Ben has the ball in his court for his personal fitness. Strength,power,agility,explosiveness, mechanics,endurance and stamina.

There's no off-season if you really want to keep yourself at the highest level possible. Embrace the suck!The same goes for anyone on the team. You can tell the teams who put in a ton of work with each other in the off-season. Probably way more that what's required in that piddly little mini camp stuff and against the CBA. Going above and beyond all the time. You know like the mindset of a champion. That stupid cheating team to the Northeast is a prime example of putting in a lot of work. As much as I can't stand Tom Brady, you have to look at that guy's conditioning and mindset.

You have to respect a guy who doesn't accept mediocrity and demands everyone to go above and beyond being prepared. You either buy in or get out. In fact they should know coming in what it means to be a Steeler. What the standard is. The real standard paved long before they came.

It's the culture of a great team and doing the simple things better than everyone else.

Champions are champions not because they do anything extraordinary but because they do the ordinary things better than anyone else.” Chuck Noll

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Our window is gone. Cut Ben. Start over. And let Tomlin and his rookie staff try to win vs a very hard schedule.

Its all about comp picks, cep space and finding our next QB from here. Broom Tomlin after the season is over to avoid firing him.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Our window is gone. Cut Ben. Start over. And let Tomlin and his rookie staff try to win vs a very hard schedule.

Its all about comp picks, cep space and finding our next QB from here. Broom Tomlin after the season is over to avoid firing him.
So you found your way here huh. Better luck next time.😁

madinsomniac

Reaction score

Adam Schefter just tweeted... “ NFL informed teams today the salary cap this season will be a minimum of $180 million.”

I personally think it could come in at $185 million when it’s all said and done.
Somewhere between 180 and 185 was the minimum the league could operate on without more than half the teams gutting themselves...

People should also remember that attendance and concessions make up a very small piece of the cap, it won’t be a huge surprise if between the increased prices of tickets from the teams allowed to admit limited patrons for games and the planned escalation of tv money that the dip is minuscule compared to the overly drastic projections... add to that the 5 million that the cap is expected to climb for us due to rollover from this season and we won’t be that far over before the adjustments even start...

all those 30 million projections were based off of a 175 million cap number that was never ever going to happen... and projecting out a full 51 or 53 man roster with draft picks paid in full...

Its going to be fine we will firld a competitive roster this year and next season they will be fully prepped for a total reload as the cap snaps up much higher

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

The Steelers are in an interesting spot with the QB position. An early look at next year's QB class doesn't look very good.

1. Trevor Lawrence
2. Zach Wilson
3. Justin Fields
4. Trey Lance
-------------------- The top four should be long gone before the Steelers would even consider a trade up.
5. Mac Jones
6. Kyle Trask
7. Jamie Newman
8. Kellen Mond

Jones and Trask are tough to judge. They both have upside, I just don't know if either has first-round talent. Jones has the edge on accuracy. In fact, his numbers were unreal, including great touch on the deep ball. Arm strength and lack of mobility is a question mark. He also had an all-star roster around him. Trask is also a statue in the pocket. His accuracy has improved and is one of the better marks in this year's draft class. I think he has a stronger arm than Jones, but what happens when he doesn't have a clean pocket?

Newman hurt himself sitting out the season. While he had a strong year at Wake in 2019, his numbers suffered when his No. 1 receiver went out. Mond is another guy who's been consistently solid, never great, but is he a guy who will elevate a team?

1. Sam Howell
2. Spencer Rattler
3. Kedon Slovis
4.Tyler Shough
5. JT Daniels
5. Jayden Daniels
6. Dillon Gabriel
7. Phil Jurkovec

Looking at next year's class, I'm not sure if it's any better. Howell is potentially a No. 1 pick, if not, a top 5 pick. Rattler playing in Oklahoma's system is a good bet to go early and Slovis will garner a lot of attention high in the draft as well. Shough, Gabriel, and Jurkovec are all potential risers next year. But looking at some of these QBs in 2022, which draft class do you like better and is there a QB you'd like to see the Steelers draft? The benefit of taking one this year is either with Ben or Mason under center, they have a year to develop, but it's at the expense of a player to help improve the offensive line/ground game. If you go OL/RB/TE on the first two days this year you have a better offense in place to take a QB next year.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I am actually ok with Jones or Trask. Both have qualities I like. Jones accuracy and Trask can hit those tight windows. Like I said before to a lesser degree he has Ben's ability to make players around him better. I think Jones will be off the board by 24. If Trask was the selection he wouldn't be number 1 on my want board, but I would still sleep fine with the pick. I think Ben returns and the pick is either a pass rusher or a T. But in the event Ben isn't back a QB In 1 wouldn't shock me. If Ben is back I somewhat doubt they go QB round 1 unless someone falls that they love. I have a feeling that won't be the case regardless as there will be a run on QBs- watch it unfold. My fearless forecast.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If we take a QB in the first round I hope like hell we move up to get one of the top projected 4. A lot of what's being said about the next five could be said near for Rudolf when he came out. We don't fully know what we've got in RedNose. He never got a fair shake and what happened two seasons ago is just that, two seasons ago. I'm not saying he is God giving talent but if we end up operating a year on him we might get surprised.

Salute the nation

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

Well, well, well, Dumb *** finally shows up. Why don’t you have Cowher’s records in your signature line?

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? They couldn't have planned on a pandemic. This cap would have been close to $210 in a normal year, above that with the new streaming/ exclusive TV Contract coming out. They'd be $6M under that cap and room to restructure. That meant they could have kept JuJu with little restructuring.

Steelers are a close to cap team in how they operate. They don't dump talent or have much unrest, like other teams, that force dropping talented players. AB is our only one. We aren't bottom feeders like most of the high cap space teams. Just sucks that our style of cap management met a situation where you can't have fans in the stands.
I wish the local sports people here in Pittsburgh could grasp this, the fact these morons get paid to talk sports is hilarious and sad at the same time. Aditi kinkawala or whatever it is, says some people nationally refer to the Steelers as trophy arrogant.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Well Ike, Tomlin is 3-7 in his last playoff games, and had another late season collapse. Oh joy. Cowher? He's 5-1 with Ben in the playoffs Got that jerky?

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score

This is exactly what bit us in the *** this time around. They've done very well with keeping our own and then bringing in key veteran pieces as free agents. Where we have struggled it is because we missed players in the draft. The last few drafts have been very good to us. We need to continue that streak and hope the roster can stay healthy for one last run with Ben.