• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Vikes Coach Fired for Refusing Vax

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
My government employer is not mandating vaccinations, yet.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
This is something that has been going on for much longer than covid has been around. Health care workers, teachers, and many other professions are required to have these vaccinations to maintain employment.

Weed is now legal in NY, but employers can still say you can't have it in your system of you want to keep your job.

It is their company, they make the rules for employment. If you don't like it, find another job. This isn't something earth shattering or new...it's just a big deal because it's covid related.

This Vikes coach is not an At Will employee. He had a contract. Nurses usually have a union and a contract as well. That contract may contain language that says they may have to take certain vax as deemed necessary. It may be reasonable due to the nature of their work with sick people at risk of viruses. But a football coach? I seriously doubt that contract had a section that said the Vikings have final say in medical decisions.

We see teams lose guys all the time when flu breaks out. As I asked earlier, can they mandate the Flu Vax? There's no way that would fly. So why is COVID different? And before you break out death stats, remember we are talking about NFL players here who are by definition in great health and at pretty much statistically zero risk.

In fact, the flu is actually a bigger risk the younger you get. So, if you are going to "go by the science" then school kids and NFL players should be forced to take a flu vax ahead of a covid vax.

On a side note, Goodell just allowed Deshaun Watson to report for camp, once again showing what an empty suit he is. He's Mr Tough Guy on the vax when he has all of the media on his side but take a stance on Watson? Nope, just let a guy accused of assaulting dozens of women in the building because some of Twitter might call you racist if you shut him out.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
This Vikes coach is not an At Will employee. He had a contract. Nurses usually have a union and a contract as well. That contract may contain language that says they may have to take certain vax as deemed necessary. It may be reasonable due to the nature of their work with sick people at risk of viruses. But a football coach? I seriously doubt that contract had a section that said the Vikings have final say in medical decisions.

We see teams lose guys all the time when flu breaks out. As I asked earlier, can they mandate the Flu Vax? There's no way that would fly. So why is COVID different? And before you break out death stats, remember we are talking about NFL players here who are by definition in great health and at pretty much statistically zero risk.

In fact, the flu is actually a bigger risk the younger you get. So, if you are going to "go by the science" then school kids and NFL players should be forced to take a flu vax ahead of a covid vax.

On a side note, Goodell just allowed Deshaun Watson to report for camp, once again showing what an empty suit he is. He's Mr Tough Guy on the vax when he has all of the media on his side but take a stance on Watson? Nope, just let a guy accused of assaulting dozens of women in the building because some of Twitter might call you racist if you shut him out.
I don't give a rats *** about the BS statistics surrounding covid. I'm a firm believer that they are padded way beyond the actual numbers.

However, the NFL is a corporation and they make the rules that teams must follow. With the risk of forfeit on the table this year, as per the memo sent to all teams, each club is taking it seriously.

This is not a medical situation, as mentioned before. This is a health and safety situation, which CAN be required by an employer...

The Watson situation is different, his name isn't Ben Roethlisberger, and I don't believe there are legal charges yet? The league has been slower to react lately until AFTER charges are filed, if at all.

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Funny how drug testing isn't an invasion of my body, but telling me I need to try to not bring the plague to a team facility is. I'm not sure how logic works, or doesn't in some humans brains.

Joe

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't give a rats *** about the BS statistics surrounding covid. I'm a firm believer that they are padded way beyond the actual numbers.

However, the NFL is a corporation and they make the rules that teams must follow. With the risk of forfeit on the table this year, as per the memo sent to all teams, each club is taking it seriously.

This is not a medical situation, as mentioned before. This is a health and safety situation, which CAN be required by an employer...

The Watson situation is different, his name isn't Ben Roethlisberger, and I don't believe there are legal charges yet? The league has been slower to react lately until AFTER charges are filed, if at all.
This. Every industry has different requirements based on industry. Drug testing, physicals, hep B, TB, flu, measles, rubella….etc. healthcare id say requires the most. We have required these for every only exceptions are medical and religious exceptions.

also there has been many cases brought to court for mandating the poke. All have been shut down. Now that’s the first district courts and they could (may have) appealed but I think it’s an uphill battle.

The only change in my non lawyer internet mind says they have is that it’s not fda approved if they continue to push this the the courts.

my company seems to be leaning toward mandating the poke. If you get the exception you would be required to wear an N95 at all times.

****. Think about it. Schools mandate many of the vaccinations I mentioned too.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Hippa doesn't relate to this situation at all. This was brought up at my work as well. They CAN require vaccination, they can also require you to show proof because it involves the health and safety of the other employees.
Yep, which is why you can ask people at interviews if they are gay or if they ever engage in unprotected intercourse. Those questions following the "Have you ever been diagnosed with HepB, HPV or AIDS. Cause, you know... public safety.

titus

Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, which is why you can ask people at interviews if they are gay or if they ever engage in unprotected intercourse. Those questions following the "Have you ever been diagnosed with HepB, HPV or AIDS. Cause, you know... public safety.
Is "public Safety" now the new buzz phrase of the liberals, like "because Science" was just a few months ago when all of the bogus "facts/lies" were being released by the CDC?

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't make the rules, I just understand the limits of them because my work does an excellent job being transparent about situations like this. Hipaa was brought up, and it was thoroughly explained.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Funny how drug testing isn't an invasion of my body, but telling me I need to try to not bring the plague to a team facility is. I'm not sure how logic works, or doesn't in some humans brains.

Joe
I mean one is removing substances from you and testing them… the other is forcing you to inject something in yourself

they aren’t remotely the same.

the people who don’t want to get it are mostly afraid of long term unknowns compared to the short term risks… if they get forced to do something and ten years from now it causes cancer or a heart condition then you have ****** them up… thats why these kind of things don’t get standardized until they have years of data to show they are safe…

yeah they got rushed out cause we needed something asap, but at this point ypu probably wait for the next more tested batch to come out that are likely going to work better vs the variants and be based on more traditional vaccine methods…

if you are old this is probably a no brainer, but if you are younger this is a lot more complicated than people seem to think

Reactions: GMC

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score

Joe

Not the same. Drug testing is usually about illegal substances, either against the law or against the rules of the game as performance enhancing IE cheating.

Did the plague have a 99% survival rate?

What i don't understand is how people don't see that they are signing up for the precedent that the government can now declare something a health emergency and then the law no longer applies.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score

The NFL doesn't make the rules. They negotiate the rules with the player's union. If the union wanted to fight this, there's no way the NFL could mandate this any more than the can mandate a player get a knee surgery.

Also, can somebody explain why the NFL would put much harsher restrictions in place in 2021 when there's a vaccine, plus cases and deaths are way down compared to 2020 where the NFL pretty much just tested and sent people home? Goodell is obviously being pressured or he's just a ***** for Twitter likes. Probably both.

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
The NFL doesn't make the rules. They negotiate the rules with the player's union. If the union wanted to fight this, there's no way the NFL could mandate this any more than the can mandate a player get a knee surgery.

Also, can somebody explain why the NFL would put much harsher restrictions in place in 2021 when there's a vaccine, plus cases and deaths are way down compared to 2020 where the NFL pretty much just tested and sent people home? Goodell is obviously being pressured or he's just a ***** for Twitter likes. Probably both.
I think the NFL as a now-woke, powerful, and symbolic institution in America wants to take the lead on employers leveraging employees to take the shot. That seems to be where all this is heading.

The average person will reason that if rich, healthy athletes have to take the shot at the coercion of their employer, "what chance do I have in resisting the tide?"

alancac98

Reaction score
and another... Colts HC Reich

What bothers me the most is that the vaccine is not supposed to keep you from getting or even infecting others with covid. It was only meant to minimize symptoms and hopefully keep you off a ventilator. BUT, now, businesses are trying to use it as covid cure all and now mandate people to get vaccinated. It's all bullshit!!! Out of 78 early cases of the Delta variant, 26 were from patients who were vaccinated. Now, if you want to try and say that it can keep you from getting covid, then you sure as **** better "follow the science" of the vaccine makers as they will not be pinned down to say their vaccine will keep anyone from getting covid. They always stress the "may" part quite emphatically! Businesses are trying to sway people to get the vaccine telling consumers and employees that they are not welcome if they are not vaccinated. My wife is pissed at me because she wants to take a cruise, but the cruise lines requires a vaccination. I told her that I will wait till the cruise lines gets cases of covid again, then steer those who contracted covid while on the cruise lines to sue them over falsely telling them their cruise is safe because everyone has been vaccinated!

GMC

Contributor
Reaction score
Did the plague have a 99% survival rate?

This. If you're high risk, get the vaccine and take your chances. I'm not in any risk category and refuse to be injected with a substance that has not undergone proper long term testing and of which the manufacturers have zero culpability for any harm caused by their product. For all I know, I may have already had it, but I'm having a hard time getting tested for antibodies. I could get a vaccine tomorrow, but no one can seem to provide an antibody test. I saw this the other day and it's as sad as it is funny.

1FEF444A-D0F8-4123-BF49-4B29CFF9EA4C.jpeg

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
This. If you're high risk, get the vaccine and take your chances. I'm not in any risk category and refuse to be injected with a substance that has not undergone proper long term testing and of which the manufacturers have zero culpability for any harm caused by their product. For all I know, I may have already had it, but I'm having a hard time getting tested for antibodies. I could get a vaccine tomorrow, but no one can seem to provide an antibody test. I saw this the other day and it's as sad as it is funny.

View attachment 5872
Not sure where you read that but medically vaccinated people aren't struggling with Covid or dying from it. Not at a percentage high enough to notice. I do respect anyone's choice of course. All about freedom. The only thing is I see in the hospitals is unvaccinated Covid deaths. Mind you that is down but that is since people started getting vaccinated. I base this off of medical charts as I read very little online and watch very little on TV.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
So, lost in all this, they did not fire him. He moved positions.

ESPN just doing the new thing by reporting things without all the facts

FatsHolmes

Reaction score

View attachment 5872
I don't know why you're having difficulty getting an antibody test. I work for Quest Diagnostics, and we're doing thousands of these daily. It's actually a very common testing methodology.

I've never heard anyone state that the unvaccinated are killing the vaccinated. The numbers I've seen is that hospitalized people are now about 97% unvaccinated in a population that is about 60% vaccinated. The vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting COVID, but it does mitigate the results when you do get it. An old teacher of mine who's near 90 got it and said he thought he had a cold until he got tested.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know why you're having difficulty getting an antibody test. I work for Quest Diagnostics, and we're doing thousands of these daily. It's actually a very common testing methodology.

I've never heard anyone state that the unvaccinated are killing the vaccinated. The numbers I've seen is that hospitalized people are now about 97% unvaccinated in a population that is about 60% vaccinated. The vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting COVID, but it does mitigate the results when you do get it. An old teacher of mine who's near 90 got it and said he thought he had a cold until he got tested.

i read that the CDC is phasing out the PCR test, coincidentally just after Bill Gates and George Soros bought a new testing compeny.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
So, lost in all this, they did not fire him. He moved positions.

ESPN just doing the new thing by reporting things without all the facts

Sounds like somebody in the vikes legal department told them they better keep him on payroll or get sued.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like somebody in the vikes legal department told them they better keep him on payroll or get sued.
Or they didn't want to lose a coach they value due to the new covid rules the league put in their memo to teams and found a way to keep him and still comply.

alancac98

Reaction score

View attachment 5872
The reasons you state above for not getting the shot are the same with me. Early in the vaccine game, I tried to do as much research as I could on this mRNA stuff that they based their vaccine on. I searched scientific research studies from abroad to see what they had to say about it and boy do I wish I made a spreadsheet of the articles I read. Basically, researchers from Sweden, Germany, Switzerland, and other countries said that their mRNA testing in lab rats were less than inspirational. It appears that there were great difficulties seeing it's effectiveness in their testing. Yet, here we are today with several vaccines based on a mRNA. This whole pandemic gave them the go ahead to test this out on humans to see if there are any significant results with it. The catch, however with mRNA, is what will it do long term to the human body. That topic was also discussed in these articles, and it seemed quite up in the air, as scientists actually have no idea! So, for now, I am out!!!

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I thought y'all were all about the free market deciding and businesses being free to do as they wish? There are absolutely zero laws, including HIPAA (wtf is HIPPA?), that prohibit private companies from firing employees for not adhering to their safety standards. There are also no rules against sharing your own medical history with people, or for anyone to ask you about your medical history. There ARE laws against healthcare providers sharing your medical information without your consent.

Being an unvaccinated moron is not a protected class under the EEOC. Individuals are not mandated by anyone in the government to take the vaccine. But choices have consequences. There is no law against telling your boss to go **** himself, but go see what happens if you try it. There is zero basis for any lawsuit whatsoever. You want to put yourself, your family, and anyone you make contact with at greater risk than is necessary? Fine, that's your choice. Just like it's the Vikings' or any other business's choice to tell you to kick rocks, and you can't work here, if you make that choice. For ***** sake, I thought y'all hated government intervention, and loved personal accountability/responsibility - apparently you only care about these things when it comes to social safety nets and trying to make sure the poor among us stay there in their place. Interesting you choose this hill to die on when the rest of civilized society is just trying to keep each other safe.

Last edited: