• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Vikes Coach Fired for Refusing Vax

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I thought y'all were all about the free market deciding and businesses being free to do as they wish? There are absolutely zero laws, including HIPAA (wtf is HIPPA?), that prohibit private companies from firing employees for not adhering to their safety standards. There are also no rules against sharing your own medical history with people, or for anyone to ask you about your medical history. There ARE laws against healthcare providers sharing your medical information without your consent.

Being an unvaccinated moron is not a protected class under the EEOC. Individuals are not mandated by anyone in the government to take the vaccine. But choices have consequences. There is no law against telling your boss to go **** himself, but go see what happens if you try it. There is zero basis for any lawsuit whatsoever. You want to put yourself, your family, and anyone you make contact with at greater risk than is necessary? Fine, that's your choice. Just like it's the Vikings' or any other business's choice to tell you to kick rocks, and you can't work here, if you make that choice. For ***** sake, I thought y'all hated government intervention, and loved personal accountability/responsibility - apparently you only care about these things when it comes to social safety nets and trying to make sure the poor among us stay there in their place. Interesting you choose this hill to die on when the rest of civilized society is just trying to keep each other safe.
That's gonna leave a mark.

GMC

Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure where you read that but medically vaccinated people aren't struggling with Covid or dying from it. Not at a percentage high enough to notice. I do respect anyone's choice of course. All about freedom. The only thing is I see in the hospitals is unvaccinated Covid deaths. Mind you that is down but that is since people started getting vaccinated. I base this off of medical charts as I read very little online and watch very little on TV.

I don't know why you're having difficulty getting an antibody test. I work for Quest Diagnostics, and we're doing thousands of these daily. It's actually a very common testing methodology.

I've never heard anyone state that the unvaccinated are killing the vaccinated. The numbers I've seen is that hospitalized people are now about 97% unvaccinated in a population that is about 60% vaccinated. The vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting COVID, but it does mitigate the results when you do get it. An old teacher of mine who's near 90 got it and said he thought he had a cold until he got tested.
It's a meme (aka a joke), not a fact sheet. A little hyperbole irt the latest trend of blaming the unvaccinated for the vaccinated that are still getting the virus. As for testing, my medical provider isn't currently offering it. I don't understand why it isn't at least offered to everyone prior to getting the shot; but then again there's a lot that doesn't make sense about this whole situation. I'm not an anti vaxxer, I've got all the standards and get a flu shot every year, but there is too much with this one that doesn't sit right. I'm retired and low risk, I'll let y'all be the guinea pigs on this one.

Last edited:

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I thought y'all were all about the free market deciding and businesses being free to do as they wish? There are absolutely zero laws, including HIPAA (wtf is HIPPA?), that prohibit private companies from firing employees for not adhering to their safety standards. There are also no rules against sharing your own medical history with people, or for anyone to ask you about your medical history. There ARE laws against healthcare providers sharing your medical information without your consent.

Being an unvaccinated moron is not a protected class under the EEOC. Individuals are not mandated by anyone in the government to take the vaccine. But choices have consequences. There is no law against telling your boss to go **** himself, but go see what happens if you try it. There is zero basis for any lawsuit whatsoever. You want to put yourself, your family, and anyone you make contact with at greater risk than is necessary? Fine, that's your choice. Just like it's the Vikings' or any other business's choice to tell you to kick rocks, and you can't work here, if you make that choice. For ***** sake, I thought y'all hated government intervention, and loved personal accountability/responsibility - apparently you only care about these things when it comes to social safety nets and trying to make sure the poor among us stay there in their place. Interesting you choose this hill to die on when the rest of civilized society is just trying to keep each other safe.

Is it free market when government is pressuring businesses to do it? NY is talking about passing a law that only vaccinated people can go to restaurants. So then a restaurant demands patrons be vax'd. In your world, that's just a business deciding on their own, free market. Bullshit.

It's like hiring a hit man and then somebody winds up dead and you say, hey, i didn't kill anybody. I just told somebody they could have a bag of cash if a certain other person wound up dead.

If free market was at work, Restaurant A would be mask free and Restaurant B would require a vax passport and double masks. Which restaurant would do more business?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Is it free market when government is pressuring businesses to do it? NY is talking about passing a law that only vaccinated people can go to restaurants. So then a restaurant demands patrons be vax'd. In your world, that's just a business deciding on their own, free market. Bullshit.

It's like hiring a hit man and then somebody winds up dead and you say, hey, i didn't kill anybody. I just told somebody they could have a bag of cash if a certain other person wound up dead.

If free market was at work, Restaurant A would be mask free and Restaurant B would require a vax passport and double masks. Which restaurant would do more business?
The one with tastier food VS competitive prices? 😁🥓🥩🍗🍖🍔🌭🥪🥨🍟🌮🍜🍤🦞🥮🍧🍴🤓

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score

The one with cheaper beer.

Aussie_Steeler

Reaction score

I don't know which would do more business, but the restaurant that asks me for proof of vaccination only gets it once they've provided me with proof of their compliance with health regulations (history shows I'm at greater risk of food poisoning from restaurant/takeaway food than restaurant staff are of catching a virus from me).

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
In my area there has been talk of healthcare facilities mandating the vaccine. At my place specifically they are talking about un-vaxxed employees having to wear full PPE. We just got bought out though so all that could change. On a side note we just had a vaccinated resident pass away from Covid. He did have other health issues though. He got out from an agency employee who was coming to work sick and lying on her questionnaire.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Vaccinated people made up 74% of those infected in Massachusetts

Yep, I'm sure all those businesses mandating people get their vaccine will stay safe and healthy! Yea, **** that!

Everyone is going to get it. Resolve to that fact. The vaccinated are still going to get it just the same.

Do they forfeit when a bunch of vaccinated players get it? That's the only question I have about it. It's absolutely going to happen.

It will keep mutating and you'll probably need boosters every year or so. It will still be here 20 years from now.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
A coach that won't get vaccinated doesn't have the best interests of the team in mind, so why would you want him on staff.

Citizens that won't get vaccinated don't have the best interests of the country in mind, so I wouldn't consider them patriots.

Freedom only exists when citizens act responsibly.

FatsHolmes

Reaction score
A coach that won't get vaccinated doesn't have the best interests of the team in mind, so why would you want him on staff.

Citizens that won't get vaccinated don't have the best interests of the country in mind, so I wouldn't consider them patriots.

So, because a person doesn't want to put something in their body that is not fully tested or approved and could have huge long-term ramifications that nobody knows about - they aren't patriots? Get the shot approved by the FDA prior to making statements like that. It is only on an emergency use approval, not full approval.

By the way, I'm vaccinated - before you start pegging me. I can just understand the hesitancy.

The problem with the coach is that under current rules, they can't even participate in meetings of their player groups. They have to attend virtually. That's a bad situation for a player, but horrible for a coach.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
So, because a person doesn't want to put something in their body that is not fully tested or approved and could have huge long-term ramifications that nobody knows about - they aren't patriots? Get the shot approved by the FDA prior to making statements like that. It is only on an emergency use approval, not full approval.

By the way, I'm vaccinated - before you start pegging me. I can just understand the hesitancy.

The problem with the coach is that under current rules, they can't even participate in meetings of their player groups. They have to attend virtually. That's a bad situation for a player, but horrible for a coach.
Yeah not seeing patriotic ties. As my fellow soldiers showed their patriotism in battle and/or by serving. Get the vaccine, don't get the vaccine either or that won't change my opinion of them.

bigben

Reaction score

A drug which does not prevent you from contracting covid or even infecting other people?

Why would you want to put that in you're body?

To lessen the symptoms of what is a common cold for 99+% of healthy people?

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
A drug which does not prevent you from contracting covid or even infecting other people?

Why would you want to put that in you're body?

To lessen the symptoms of what is a common cold for 99+% of healthy people?
Not disputing this. I am however, curious as to where this information came from.