• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Villanueva in decline? Is this his last year as a Steeler?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
With a cap number of $8,390,000, Villanueva who will be 32 this September, seems to be in decline.

2019 was not a good year from him. He drew 8 flags, and gave up his share of sacks. The problem is besides him, there isn't a proven player who can play left tackle.

Translation, the Steelers are in some trouble. No way should he get a new large contract for 4 years or more. Maybe a 2 year deal, if the Steelers come close to making or win the super bowl this season.

If he lost some quickness, which could be the case, he can move to Right Tackle.

While fans point to Ben needing to be replaced soon, Left Tackle could become problem #1 for 2021. The OL has mostly been ignored. Pouncey is getting up there, so is DeCastro. You can only kick the can so far...

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree. However, barring injury- Big Al is done when Ben is done. Same for Pouncey. I’m not sure if Decastro will leave or give it 2 more years.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
can try Cukes at LT in camp some reps if not after the year cut big al pick up a vet and draft a long term LT.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The OL has mostly been ignored. Pouncey is getting up there, so is DeCastro. You can only kick the can so far...

we have drafted an OL in 5 of the previous 7 drafts and have brought in countless others who went undrafted.

thus, your statement is incorrect. again. like clockwork. and sunrises. and sunsets.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
We have 3 swing tackles on the team, and one is penciled in to play guard. We'll be fine if we need to replace Villa.

Which of these 3 swing tackles do you think can play Left tackle? I strongly disagree, there isn't one proven left tackle on the team besides big Al.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
we have drafted an OL in 5 of the previous 7 drafts and have brought in countless others who went undrafted.

thus, your statement is incorrect. again. like clockwork. and sunrises. and sunsets.

Or in the past seven drafts the Steelers have only taken one OL player in the first three rounds, and he was a 3rd round pick. That's 25 total draft picks in rounds 1-3, Superman.

I call that ignoring the OL. 25 picks day one and day two picks, just 1 OL player taken. Care to revise your statement?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I agree. However, barring injury- Big Al is done when Ben is done. Same for Pouncey. I’m not sure if Decastro will leave or give it 2 more years.

Big Al's contract is up next year. Do the Steelers want to give him a new deal? For how much and how long? He could very well depart before Big Ben,

This could be Al's last season as a Steeler. I agree Pouncey who is also in decline could be out soon too. DeCastro might last a few more years. I can't recall him being hurt or having a bad season.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
let al play it out next draft go heavy on ol rnd 1 OT and another OG in mid rnds to groom behind Decastro maybe Grey can learn behind Decastro if he hasa great camp and pres season.

Hoot

Contributor
Reaction score
there isn't one proven left tackle on the team besides big Al.

What is your metric for 'proven'? if it is playing in NFL games at a starters level, then you are going to have a tough time finding those. Draft picks don't get there till they actually play and starting capable FA LT's don't generally sign for b/u money.

One thing I am sure of is the team has an evaluation of what they have, what their ascension plan is, and what their risk is. And keep that work in mind 'risk'. There is a limited talent pool at the position, limited time to develop and "prove" in games, limited cap room, and other positions and priorities. KC's job, in many ways, is about risk management.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score

An incorrect statement as often as a prophecy waiting to be fulfilled.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Which of these 3 swing tackles do you think can play Left tackle? I strongly disagree, there isn't one proven left tackle on the team besides big Al.
If they pan out is a different discussion than not addressing the position cooch. Try to keep up.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

Chuks has the higher ceiling, the athleticism + size to play LT and that's why he was drafted in the 3rd round and not the 5th, raw talent to be developed. If you make a LT out of him you got a gem.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It's hard to know exactly what was up will Villi as last year's OFFENSE wasn't run to well. Defenses were just pinning back their ears and rushing a whole bunch of guys. QB play was subpar and couldn't make the "D's" p-any for anything. Combine that with poor OC play and you have a disaster as we had last season.

This year will be his tell tale year, I love his story and his "prime" play but like anyone hence Father Time catches up, you've gottA look at future replacement.

Salute the nation

CorpusDsteelers

Reaction score
Maybe the Oline players didn’t try as hard since they knew what they had, QBs that are gonna throw it 3 yards

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Or in the past seven drafts the Steelers have only taken one OL player in the first three rounds, and he was a 3rd round pick. That's 25 total draft picks in rounds 1-3, Superman.

I call that ignoring the OL. 25 picks day one and day two picks, just 1 OL player taken. Care to revise your statement?

you'd be wrong

but you're used to that

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I love that false analogy. Steelers fans: We drafted that guy who will be on the team for a decade!! Steelers fans later on: They're not addressing the line!!!!!

You don't have to address the line when 3 are pro bowlers. and the guard was a 10yr starter as a UDRFA...

Derp...

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
It's one of the reasons I wanted the Steelers to draft a tackle as a high as the second round this year. I figured he could compete for a starting job at RT this year and then slide over to the left side to take over for Villanueva. Plus, with how many upcoming contracts we have, the front office is going to have to take care of the younger guys and it'll have to be at the expense of an older player or two. We know Heyward isn't going anywhere so it's logical that Villanueva's time is nearing an end unless he takes a team-friendly deal.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Even then they still addressed the position it is just that the prospects haven't stepped up enough to get a glowing report. Maybe Chukes this season helps swing this outlook into more of a positive one.
I love that false analogy. Steelers fans: We drafted that guy who will be on the team for a decade!! Steelers fans later on: They're not addressing the line!!!!!

You don't have to address the line when 3 are pro bowlers. and the guard was a 10yr starter as a UDRFA...

Derp...

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
It's one of the reasons I wanted the Steelers to draft a tackle as a high as the second round this year. I figured he could compete for a starting job at RT this year and then slide over to the left side to take over for Villanueva. Plus, with how many upcoming contracts we have, the front office is going to have to take care of the younger guys and it'll have to be at the expense of an older player or two. We know Heyward isn't going anywhere so it's logical that Villanueva's time is nearing an end unless he takes a team-friendly deal.
I believe Al will take a friendly resign. I think the guy will be back my thinking is they won't throw him to the curb just yet.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
With a cap number of $8,390,000, Villanueva who will be 32 this September, seems to be in decline.

2019 was not a good year from him. He drew 8 flags, and gave up his share of sacks. The problem is besides him, there isn't a proven player who can play left tackle.

Translation, the Steelers are in some trouble. No way should he get a new large contract for 4 years or more. Maybe a 2 year deal, if the Steelers come close to making or win the super bowl this season.

If he lost some quickness, which could be the case, he can move to Right Tackle.

While fans point to Ben needing to be replaced soon, Left Tackle could become problem #1 for 2021. The OL has mostly been ignored. Pouncey is getting up there, so is DeCastro. You can only kick the can so far...

One of a very few threads/thoughts/opinions that I fully agree with you.

Go buy yourself some Armor-All for your luxury car on me...

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, one more thing...

I don't know why but methinks Kevin Dotson will be the heir apparent at LT...

Just another one of Bermuda's predictions.