• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Villanueva Visiting Ravens

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It appears the Pittsburgh Steelers could be officially moving on from Alejandro Villanueva. That’s because Villanueva is visiting with the Baltimore Ravens according to Ian Rapport of NFL Network.

A piece of interesting free agent news: #Steelers FA OT Alejandro Villanueva is set to visit the #Ravens this week, league source said. With some moving parts on Baltimore’s O-line, they plan to check out Villanueva in person.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 19, 2021

Reports throughout the off-season have indicated that the Steelers were interested in bringing Villanueva back on a new contract, but that hasn’t come to fruition. His reported value, and the Steelers cap situation have likely determined his fate.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
It makes you wonder how much that National Anthem debacle stuck in his crawl over the years..
What does this mean? You think his play dropped because he was pissy about the national anthem flap. Cmon. The dude was a Ranger. Give him some credit for being a little more mentally tough than that. If anything, I'd say he lost a step and was a Munchak guy who didn't respond well to Sweet Feet's coaching and mechanics.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
No not at all about his performance...Im sure he left it on the field every game..

Im talking about his desire to return to the organization...

That was the saddest and most embarrassing day I ever had as a Steeler fan.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
No not at all about his performance...Im sure he left it on the field every game..

Perhaps he didn't like what the Steelers were offering or maybe they didn't offer him anything. This seems to be of the higher probability.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Perhaps he didn't like what the Steelers were offering or maybe they didn't offer him anything. This seems to be of the higher probability.
Perhaps....

One would have to believe as a Ranger and true American hero who risked his life for the country, that 78 lost some respect for the organization also that day...

No one choose to stand with him that fateful day, if I recall correctly........it truly was a horrible visual.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I think we put a lot of personal things to this team. As I recall that event, Al wished he hadn't gone out to the tunnel for the optics of team unity. Though I could be mistaken. The reality is there are minor things like the organization, the community and the teammates that make the difference when money is equal. When money is not equal they generally are private contractors. I've seen or read nothing that the Steelers made a concerted effort to retain Al this offseason. He is probably depth wherever he goes. Could compete to start, doesn't look like its going to be in Pittsburgh.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
From what i read, the cap is not on their side to be a Steeler this season. Saying that, he got pushed around last season. I wish nothing but the best for Big Al. He's a class act on and off the field, but it may be time to let him walk.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
His play didn't warrant what the market said he was worth and it didn't warrant the Steelers offering him anything more than a chance to compete for a roster spot. His play severely went downhill last year and it had nothing to do with scheme. He was slow and couldn't keep up with anyone coming at him. Love the guy but he was spent last year and toward the end of the prior year.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
His play didn't warrant what the market said he was worth and it didn't warrant the Steelers offering him anything more than a chance to compete for a roster spot. His play severely went downhill last year and it had nothing to do with scheme. He was slow and couldn't keep up with anyone coming at him. Love the guy but he was spent last year and toward the end of the prior year.
I really tend to agree. My only caveat on the offensive line last year was a very and I mean VERY small snippet from dick face Collinsworth. It basically stated that the offensive line was being coached to be lighter on their feet, less ground contact and more on their toes then traditionally to help avoid side impact injuries. I agree whole heartedly that is a reach, but maybe.......

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
just a way for the man to get the Steelers to increase their offer.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Goodbye to you sir.
We need to badly upgrade your position and will do so in the draft in first or second round.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

OR

Maybe the STEELERS opted to part ways with him. If the STEELERS would have wanted him back, I guarantee you he'd be wearing black & gold.

Agree on the embarrassing day but the STEELERS brought some of that upon themselves from the head coach showing no leadership to the players "secret double hand-shake secret voting" fiasco. Ultimately AV stood his ground and was honest about how it transpired and the media had no rebuttal.

Salute the nation

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
He would be a RT in Baltimore anyway. Stanley signed huge contrast and Orlando Brown jr wants out as he wants to be a LT. Watt will get him!

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
He would be a RT in Baltimore anyway. Stanley signed huge contrast and Orlando Brown jr wants out as he wants to be a LT. Watt will get him!
Or a backup swing T.

I don't see Al as being an effective RT. he doesn't have the power to hold up.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I most definitely wish the best for Villi (but just average and non factor when playing us). He was a favorite of mine due to his honorable military and good person attitude for what's right and what's wrong.

Salute the nation

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
he is not good at run blocking so RT wouldn't be a good idea

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score

This is a pure salary cap issue. He's probably back on the team with a new deal if the cap wasn't ******.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
It makes you wonder how much that National Anthem debacle stuck in his crawl over the years..
Why make chyt up??? Big Al has clearly stated that 'he got caught out on the field and wanted to be w/ his teammates' - once the National Anthem started, he did what ever soldier does - acknowledge and stand at attention...

Big Al was the second worst OL over the past 2 seasons. Like Sask said - he played MUCH BETTER when Coach Munchak was here.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
How about the name of the helmet debacle under Tomlin as Al put a name in tape on his helmet. Maybe Tomlins feeling were hurt and tension became an issue.