• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Villanueva Visiting Ravens

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
I think we put a lot of personal things to this team. As I recall that event, Al wished he hadn't gone out to the tunnel for the optics of team unity. Though I could be mistaken. The reality is there are minor things like the organization, the community and the teammates that make the difference when money is equal. When money is not equal they generally are private contractors. I've seen or read nothing that the Steelers made a concerted effort to retain Al this offseason. He is probably depth wherever he goes. Could compete to start, doesn't look like its going to be in Pittsburgh.
steel dino said:
No not at all about his performance...Im sure he left it on the field every game..

Im talking about his desire to return to the organization...

That was the saddest and most embarrassing day I ever had as a Steeler fan.
Agree on the embarrassing day but the STEELERS brought some of that upon themselves from the head coach showing no leadership to the players "secret double hand-shake secret voting" fiasco. Ultimately AV stood his ground and was honest about how it transpired and the media had no rebuttal.

As Sask commented, the anthem issue was due to circumstances of the situation. The players, not Tomlin, Art2 or any other organization member decided what to do regarding the anthem on that day. There was no majority on kneeling or standing or mixed. So they ALL agreed that they would not allow the media to dictate the narrative of the team. Al requested to be in front in the tunnel because he wanted to be able to see the colors. His request perfectly fine with his service history and being a retired officer. The team captains, Ben, Cam and Matakevetch gave the ok for him to be in front. UNFORTUNATELY, Chicago had a field size flag presentation for the anthem, and because the networks were broadcasting the anthem at that time the cacophonous activity from the field personnel caused a separation between the players at the tunnel entrance and on the field. Al kept getting separated farther away from the others because of all the field personnel trying to get off the field and when he tried to get back, the anthem started. As any veteran knows, when the anthem starts, you stop whatever you are doing and recognize the colors. The friggin networks, NFL films and media photogs taking pics of Al started the “separation in the team“ narrative when there was none. Then the national media added this situation as part of the “players stance on the current national crisis“. Which was the whole point as to what the Steeler players wanted to avoid.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
How about the name of the helmet debacle under Tomlin as Al put a name in tape on his helmet. Maybe Tomlins feeling were hurt and tension became an issue.
What debacle? He put Silver Star awarded Sgt Cashe on his helmet instead of Anton Rose. Al said it had an important meaning to him. First Sgt Cashe was black, was KIA in combat and Al’s former unit was trying to get him recognized for the Medal of Honor. Al was given permission by Tomlin to adding the sticker. Tomlin went against the League’s requirement that all helmets matched. A week later all 32 teams were allowed to put what they wanted on the helmets for BLM. Possibly Apex you’ve read some revisionist version of the events.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
As Sask commented, the anthem issue was due to circumstances of the situation. The players, not Tomlin, Art2 or any other organization member decided what to do regarding the anthem on that day. There was no majority on kneeling or standing or mixed. So they ALL agreed that they would not allow the media to dictate the narrative of the team. Al requested to be in front in the tunnel because he wanted to be able to see the colors. His request perfectly fine with his service history and being a retired officer. The team captains, Ben, Cam and Matakevetch gave the ok for him to be in front. UNFORTUNATELY, Chicago had a field size flag presentation for the anthem, and because the networks were broadcasting the anthem at that time the cacophonous activity from the field personnel caused a separation between the players at the tunnel entrance and on the field. Al kept getting separated farther away from the others because of all the field personnel trying to get off the field and when he tried to get back, the anthem started. As any veteran knows, when the anthem starts, you stop whatever you are doing and recognize the colors. The friggin networks, NFL films and media photogs taking pics of Al started the “separation in the team“ narrative when there was none. Then the national media added this situation as part of the “players stance on the current national crisis“. Which was the whole point as to what the Steeler players wanted to avoid.
I get all that Ike and understand the moment...

The intentions were good .....but the decision was not.....and as mentioned, the optics totally sucked.

Having that man stand out there all by himself was an organizational embarrassment.

Not one other member of the squad or representative of the organization stood with him in support.........
Even if was just in reverence of all he has done for this country.
NOT ONE.

Been a fan since I was old enough to read the headline in the Pittsburgh Press I delivered that said "Joe Who?" in 1969...
and that was the first and only Steeler game I CHOOSE NOT to watch...

It was a pitiful day IMHO.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
I get all that Ike and understand the moment...

The intentions were good .....but the decision was not.....and as mentioned, the optics totally sucked.

Having that man stand out there all by himself was an organizational embarrassment.

Not one other member of the squad or representative of the organization stood with him in support.........
Even if was just in reverence of all he has done for this country.
NOT ONE.

Been a fan since I was old enough to read the headline in the Pittsburgh Press I delivered that said "Joe Who?" in 1969...
and that was the first and only Steeler game I CHOOSE NOT to watch...

It was a pitiful day IMHO.
Hell yes the optics sucked. But I blame the league and the networks. They made the optics poor. They made that decision. Not the players or coaches. Had the network just showed the sidelines (like they are supposed to do) where every coach and assistant was standing for the anthem, instead of the players in the tunnel, who were there for the sole purpose of the not using them for the then narrative/agenda. Then of course video/photographing Al by himself by no fault of his own. And who could stand next to him? The players were in the tunnel, the coaches/ assistants were on the sidelines, Al was between them both by some 10-15 yards (players) 40 yards (sideline) while the anthem was playing. The league wanted it both ways, they had a contract for patriotism with the armed services and the TV deal with the network. The commissioner should have stepped in and resolve the issue. That’s his friggin job. Rozzel and Tags would have, and actually had done so in the past.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Hell yes the optics sucked. But I blame the league and the networks. They made the optics poor. They made that decision. Not the players or coaches. Had the network just showed the sidelines (like they are supposed to do) where every coach and assistant was standing for the anthem, instead of the players in the tunnel, who were there for the sole purpose of the not using them for the then narrative/agenda. Then of course video/photographing Al by himself by no fault of his own. And who could stand next to him? The players were in the tunnel, the coaches/ assistants were on the sidelines, Al was between them both by some 10-15 yards (players) 40 yards (sideline) while the anthem was playing. The league wanted it both ways, they had a contract for patriotism with the armed services and the TV deal with the network. The commissioner should have stepped in and resolve the issue. That’s his friggin job. Rozzel and Tags would have, and actually had done so in the past.

Pete Rozzel and Tagliabo both stood for the game, the "rog" stands for the owners and money.

Salute the nation

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Pete Rozzel and Tagliabo both stood for the game, the "rog" stands for the owners and money.

Salute the nation
I would so love to have seen how Goodell would have handled Al Davis in the 70’s and 80’s. Davis would have ran circles around him, and Goodell is a attorney.

MeanJim

Forefather
Reaction score
So much of the discussion is about AV the person. I'm more interested in AV the blocker. I appreciate his efforts, and his performance from 3 or 4 years ago, but he doesn't seem capable of pass-blocking anyone consistently, or ever opening a hole run-blocking. Just about any rookie or street free agent can match that unacceptable performance.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I really wonder if the plan is to just have Chuks at LT and Banner at RT with Jones and Haeg as backups. A bit concerned considering everyone seems to feel Alejandro did poorly even though he graded at 79 on pff while Chuks and Banner graded in the fifties. Even Feiler graded 65 and 76 respectfully the last two years.
I honestly would welcome AV back with open arms for 3 years 24 million.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I really wonder if the plan is to just have Chuks at LT and Banner at RT with Jones and Haeg as backups. A bit concerned considering everyone seems to feel Alejandro did poorly even though he graded at 79 on pff while Chuks and Banner graded in the fifties. Even Feiler graded 65 and 76 respectfully the last two years.
I honestly would welcome AV back with open arms for 3 years 24 million.
I hear ya Ford...

But 8 mil a year seems slightly inflated.
I'm in at 6 mil per ...

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I hear ya Ford...

But 8 mil a year seems slightly inflated.
I'm in at 6 mil per ...
They could give a little more up front and back load the contract on year 3. Gives him more guaranteed money but in reality it’s more of a 2-year 12 million dollar deal.

8 million bonus
Year 1- 1 million
Year 2- 3 million
Year 3- 4 million roster bonus and 8 million salary

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Can Sutton and highsmith, and v williams are the only players on d not drafted in first 2 rounds. While Ben carries the offense. No wonder Ben doesn't have time, no wonder we can't run the ball.

SteveA

Reaction score
Good...The Ravens need a hole in their left side of their running offense...

PLEASE SIGN HIM RATS

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Good...The Ravens need a hole in their left side of their running offense...

PLEASE SIGN HIM RATS
He would play on the right if he started.