• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Vince Williams is Retiring

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not even sure it's Father Time (he's only 31 - and to my knowledge, never suffered a serious injury). Now with Bush back and Spillane doing what he did last season, I think Vince just thought he doesn't have much of a place anymore? Who knows though. I know this, Vince was always solid and always seemed to be around the ball or making a play.

Going to miss Vince on and off the field.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Just saw this. Bince seemed fired up for another season. I'm actually shocked by this. I'm wondering if he had some injury that popped up. Dude was always a beast in the run game and getting after the QB. Sad to see him retire. Good luck Vinnie Will.

This makes ILB pretty weak does it not? I think Williamson is still out there. He would do much better this year if he had a full camp with us.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Just saw this. Bince seemed fired up for another season. I'm actually shocked by this. I'm wondering if he had some injury that popped up. Dude was always a beast in the run game and getting after the QB. Sad to see him retire. Good luck Vinnie Will.

This makes ILB pretty weak does it not? I think Williamson is still out there. He would do much better this year if he had a full camp with us.
Makes you wonder if maybe Vince saw Buddy Johnson during OTAs and figured Johnson was going to eat into his snaps. To go from starter to 2nd string would be one thing. To go from starter to 2ndish or 3rdish string depending on the formation/need required would be a whole different mindset. It might make you consider why the heck you would even put yourself through another year.

(I'm hoping Johnson showed something and that Vince didn't just hang 'em up because he didn't have the fire anymore).

FatsHolmes

Reaction score
Makes you wonder if maybe Vince saw Buddy Johnson during OTAs and figured Johnson was going to eat into his snaps. To go from starter to 2nd string would be one thing. To go from starter to 2ndish or 3rdish string depending on the formation/need required would be a whole different mindset. It might make you consider why the heck you would even put yourself through another year.

(I'm hoping Johnson showed something and that Vince didn't just hang 'em up because he didn't have the fire anymore).
Still have Spillane, Gilbert, and Allen as well.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
Highly doubt he can be afforded but KJ Wright is still out there. Will miss 98

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I really liked Bince's style of play. He was a THUMPER and hit hard. Kind of reminded me of the James Harrison hitting hard. Bince's style of play is dinosoure for this modern day NFL. I really liked his time here

Good Luck Bince in your Life's Work.!

Salute the nation

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
bring KJ in think he is a lot better than Avery

SteelerSask2

Reaction score

This is my opinion. Looked at himself and made the depth chart in his mind or asked for an honest assessment from MT and said I'm not going through camp to get cut. Always liked Vince. One of those players every team needs. If it was the NFL of 15 years ago he would have made pro bowls.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
Another great player who was not a top round prima donna and who went on to be a dominant part of the team. Also unfortunately another to retire without a ring when there were so many missed opportunities with the talent they had....Its not like he's reading these posts but if so,,, thanks Vince!

Last edited:

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
I really liked Bince's style of play. He was a THUMPER and hit hard. Kind of reminded me of the James Harrison hitting hard. Bince's style of play is dinosoure for this modern day NFL. I really liked his time here

Good Luck Bince in your Life's Work.!

Salute the nation

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He was a thumper against the run, but a huge liability in the passing game. Like said above, he played 15 years too late. One dimensional in today’s game just doesn’t get it done.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ingram can play from the middle as well. I didn't notice it much but apparently, the Steelers used 3 OLB's at times last year.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
He was already falling down the ILB depth chart, but I think he was also the "oh **** contingency plan" at OLB
The adding of an upgraded insurance policy in Ingram was likely the writing on the wall regarding his snap count possibilities

A class player like Bince wouldn't want to sit around hoping for injuries to get his name called, that's an awful position to be in at the latter stages of a solid career

Get out while the getting is good Bince and thank you for the solid service over the last 8 years, time for life after football