• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Watt new contract?

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
and no one would have ever known if you had just remained silent.......lol ........now we are all going to jump all over you ...... this is as bad as a Plaxico self shooting incident

TJ was barely a 1st round pick ..... been living off JJs reputation as a 3X DPOY .......... Derek is a better athlete ...... his mom is a better commercial actor ....Bud practically carried him

(now that's sarcasm) ..... wonder how fast the replies would be coming in on those statements if I forgot to label it:devilish:
eh, it wouldn't be the first or last time that happens. I know, honestly is sometimes not the best medicine. lol

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
and no one would have ever known if you had just remained silent.......lol ........now we are all going to jump all over you ...... this is as bad as a Plaxico self shooting incident

TJ was barely a 1st round pick ..... been living off JJs reputation as a 3X DPOY .......... Derek is a better athlete ...... his mom is a better commercial actor ....Bud practically carried him

(now that's sarcasm) ..... wonder how fast the replies would be coming in on those statements if I forgot to label it:devilish:

About the same speed as I don't think anyone actually reads your post(s)..............................................

Salute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So, most people say Watt will get close to $30 million per. Someone asked that question today to Dulac on his chat and he said it wouldn't be that, it would be $18-20 million. Is he serious or just delusional? That would be a huge bargain if we could get him for that. I also wonder if the Steelers will break from their "signing bonus norm" and give Watt more than 1 year or so as a signing bonus. The big D contracts they were comparing him to were $100 million or more guaranteed. I can't see the Steelers wanting to even sniff $100 million guaranteed for anyone but the starting QB and even then. I was thinking less than $50 million but I don't think that will get it done. What say yins?

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
If you think Watt gets less than these two...

EDGE
Joey Bosa
Los Angeles Chargers · 25 years old
AVERAGE PER YEAR: $27 million
Full contract: Five years, $135 million (Signed: 2020)
Guaranteed at signing: $78.0 million (57.8 percent of contract)
2021 cash: $13.8 million
2021 cap hit: $20.8 million (11.4 percent of 2021 salary cap

EDGE
Myles Garrett
Cleveland Browns · 25 years old
AVERAGE PER YEAR: $25 million
Full contract: Five years, $125 million (Signed: 2020)
Guaranteed at signing: $50 million (40 percent of contract)
2021 cash: $21.7 million
2021 cap hit: $9.4 million (5.2 percent of 2021 salary cap)

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
If you think Watt gets less than these two...

EDGE
Joey Bosa
Los Angeles Chargers · 25 years old
AVERAGE PER YEAR: $27 million
Full contract: Five years, $135 million (Signed: 2020)
Guaranteed at signing: $78.0 million (57.8 percent of contract)
2021 cash: $13.8 million
2021 cap hit: $20.8 million (11.4 percent of 2021 salary cap

EDGE
Myles Garrett
Cleveland Browns · 25 years old
AVERAGE PER YEAR: $25 million
Full contract: Five years, $125 million (Signed: 2020)
Guaranteed at signing: $50 million (40 percent of contract)
2021 cash: $21.7 million
2021 cap hit: $9.4 million (5.2 percent of 2021 salary cap)
I'm fine with these numbers for Watt, and I'd ink him to 5-6 years.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Watt is going to break the bank. So will Minkah. We have the space, get them signed and lets find us a new franchise QB after this season ends.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Watt is going to break the bank. So will Minkah. We have the space, get them signed and lets find us a new franchise QB after this season ends.
I don't have a problem with them paying Fitzpatrick, but if they use him how they have at times, that will be wasted money.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with them paying Fitzpatrick, but if they use him how they have at times, that will be wasted money.
Teams not throwing the ball anywhere near him? Because when the ball goes his way, he tends to find it and make plays.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
considering the cap rise next year, Minkah and TJ's contracts should be front loaded.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Watt, then a year later Minkah and then possibly a year later, Bush. Bush hasn't earned a big payday yet. Hopefully, this year he is fully healed and shows why we traded up to get him. They (assuming Bush is as good as we drafted him to be) are the core of our D for the next 5 years. The rest will basically be role players that fit in with those three as we won't be able to pay top dollar for everyone.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
If you are dropping a safety that deep, you could put a hell of a lot of guys in that spot.
You seen how poor our pass defense was before we had Minkah back there? He commands a lot of respect and balls tend to go in the opposite direction.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
You seen how poor our pass defense was before we had Minkah back there? He commands a lot of respect and balls tend to go in the opposite direction.
Lets be clear. I like Minkah Fitzpatrick. I just don't like Mike Tomlin as a coach. I think he handcuffs the defense, plays it safe and relies upon individuals beating their man. Once matchups start to even out, he is ******. I think they should use Minkah much more aggressively and drop a lot of the Tampa Two concepts that still leave a big hole past the linebackers and in front of the safeties. Id prefer they played more Cover one alternating between Dropping Edmunds into the one and allowing Minkah do use his ball skill instincts more.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Lets be clear. I like Minkah Fitzpatrick. I just don't like Mike Tomlin as a coach. I think he handcuffs the defense, plays it safe and relies upon individuals beating their man. Once matchups start to even out, he is ******. I think they should use Minkah much more aggressively and drop a lot of the Tampa Two concepts that still leave a big hole past the linebackers and in front of the safeties. Id prefer they played more Cover one alternating between Dropping Edmunds into the one and allowing Minkah do use his ball skill instincts more.
I can't disagree with that assessment. When they let the defense be more aggressive back there we do big things. We got spoiled with Troy being a rover too.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
That's where the Tomlin quote "I call the defense different when Ben is playing" as we saw a far less aggressive Minkah in 2020 than when did in 2019.