• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Watt new contract?

Frosty

Reaction score

Yinz Nation Sport

9h

Inside sources tell me that the Pittsburgh Steelers are currently working on a four year 29 million dollar per year contract with TJ Watt. The 29 million dollar figure would make TJ Watt the highest paid edge rusher in the NFL

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds about right. I was originally hoping they could keep it below $25 million per but then it was more like below $30 million per. I might even like to see 5 years instead of 4. Either way, he's the best defensive player in the league and should have been DPOY last year so, that's what comes with having a player that good. Our D core will be him, Bush (probably) and Minkah. They will get paid big. The rest of the D will be pieces around them each and every year so we can fit under the cap.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
tough pill to swallow but that's the price. I was hoping 25M too, we definitely need a rookie contract QB to go for 7

fogdoctor

Reaction score
That is a big number. Then again, he is a special player that you never have to worry about.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Said highest paid edge rusher. Can't believe he won't be the highest paid defender. He should be a two time defensive player of the year. That won't save the Steelers a dime with the new contract that he didn't win those awards. Everyone knows he is the best.

xjx

Reaction score
Pay the man.

steelhurt

Reaction score
If anyone deserves that money like this it’s TJ. He’s always ready to go, dependable, great, great work ethic, doesn’t whine and *****, and is a consummate teammate. All that and he’s the best defensive player in the league.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I can’t believe we out go Garrett by 4 million. My guess is 132.5 x 5 years. 50 guaranteed.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
And one thing is for damn sure. There will be no discount. his brother took way over value to a team that has maybe less chance to win the SB then his brothers' team.

Steelmann

Reaction score
I love TJ. But being a top 2 defensive player sure is a curse on the old salary cap. People yelling ...get it done are probably the same people that laugh at other teams spending so much at one position handicapping the team. But what are you gonna do, have to sign him. 🤑🤑

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
tough pill to swallow but that's the price. I was hoping 25M too, we definitely need a rookie contract QB to go for 7
should be able to get a two for one on WATTS for that price..... TJ/Derek or maybe JC can come out of retirement to QB

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
thanks, but I did read the OP wrong. $29M/yr is quite the difference. DAMN!
and no one would have ever known if you had just remained silent.......lol ........now we are all going to jump all over you ...... this is as bad as a Plaxico self shooting incident

TJ was barely a 1st round pick ..... been living off JJs reputation as a 3X DPOY .......... Derek is a better athlete ...... his mom is a better commercial actor ....Bud practically carried him

(now that's sarcasm) ..... wonder how fast the replies would be coming in on those statements if I forgot to label it:devilish: