• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Way Too Early 2022 Steelers Mock Draft

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
With the 2021 NFL season underway, the Pittsburgh Steelers have almost all their focus on this current season and their Week 2 opponent, the Las Vegas Raiders.

Even with the immense focus on this year, the Steelers are still out scouting and preparing for the 2022 NFL Draft and beyond. Even GM Kevin Colbert is making the rounds as he was spotted at North Carolina’s practice this week potentially to take a look at quarterback, Sam Howell.

Below is my “way to early” mock 2022 NFL Draft for the Steelers based on what I think their current needs are going to be as of today.

Round 1 – Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington​

If there is any cornerback in the draft that screams Pittsburgh Steelers, it is McDuffie. He is a 5’11”, 190lbs corner who is the best corner in run support in college football despite his size, as well as a very good cover corner on the outside. There are a lot of similarities between him and Joe Haden, who coincidentally McDuffie might be replacing since Haden is currently scheduled to be a free agent in 2022.

Round 2 – Thayer Munford, OT/OG, Ohio State​

Munford will enter the 2022 NFL Draft as a four year starter for the Buckeyes playing multiple positions across their talented offensive line. He has experience at both tackle spots, and now in 2021 has kicked into play left guard. He profiles best as a right tackle or guard in the NFL, but can also play left tackle with some development. He has the prototypical size and build for the position with good hands and explosiveness.

Round 3 – Jaquan Brisker, S, Penn State​

The Steelers are likely to need to use multiple picks on the secondary with several members of their 2021 scheduled to be free agents in 2022. One of those is starting safety Terrell Edmunds, and Brisker can potentially be his replacement, and if he is retained, they still have the need for a 3rd safety. Brisker can play both deep on the back end and drop down into the box as he is one of the harder hitting safeties in college. He isn’t currently a great man to man option against slot receivers, but has all the tools to cover opposing tight ends down the field.

Round 3 (Compensatory) – Dontay Demus Jr., WR, Maryland​

The Steelers always seem to find a gem at WR in rounds 2 or 3 and this year is no different. With three of their five wide receivers set to be free agents in 2022, it makes sense they add to this room in the draft. Demus Jr. is a very physical wide receiver that imposes his will on defensive backs trying to guard him or bring him to the ground. He would excel as in a big slot role working over the middle until he refines his route running to become a full-time outside receiver.

Round 5 (Compensatory) – Cole Turner, TE, Nevada​

With Eric Ebron becoming a free agent, the Steelers will need to add to their tight end room next off-season as well. Turner is a very good receiver for the Wolf Pack that is a mismatch nightmare for opposing defenses. He is a bit light at 240lbs, but he is a very willing blocker in the run game. Unfortunately due to his size, he isn’t very consistent in this aspect and doesn’t have enough functional strength to move people off their spot right now consistently, hence why he would be available this late in the draft.

Round 7 (from Jets) – Tyree Johnson, EDGE, Texas A&M​

Johnson is a weird one to project as he plays as a standup weakside defensive end of the Aggies that is square to the line of scrimmage. He profiles more as a 3-4 OLB that can standup in a split stance so he can use his athleticism at the snap. He has shown a decent polish with his pass rush moves for someone who rarely gets to use them, so he could be a quick contributor in passing situations on the edge.

Round 7 – Ben Petrula, OL, Boston College​

Like Munford who I had the Steelers drafting above, Petrula has experience starting multiple positions on the offensive line including center, right tackle, and right guard. He profiles best as an interior lineman as he has very good strength and physicality in the run game, but his lateral agility is average at best right now. He can offer center/guard flexibility to go with his mauling tendencies to the center of an offensive line.

Well there you have it, a 2022 mock draft that’ll likely look very different come the end of the season. But, as of now this would address many of the Steelers needs heading into next season as it stands today.

Let us know what you think of the 2022 NFL Draft and what prospects you would like to see the Steelers target!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I like the idea of drafting a corner but would prefer Haden back on a one year contract if that was the route the Steelers wanted to go. Also prefer Edmunds back and could see him returning without a high priced offer. Tackle makes sense Matt as the Steelers simply can't trust Banner to stay healthy and Chukes isn't the answer.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
As we all know, our luck with drafting CB's is atrocious. I hope this guy is a slam dunk.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
i mean it’s possible that we finally turned a “corner” on developing cbs,but id rather sign a free agent or trade for one instead. An ot and a backup te are grand plans, safety as well… we could also try to get another stud dlineman or a guard…

we could also trade some picks for futures and gamble on udfas and try to shore up our assets for moving up for a qb if the ones we have fail to impress… id bet you could trade our second next year for a future first, maybe with a 2023 low round add if the team is expected to draft high again

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Round 1- Ikem Ekwonu OG NC State

Trai Turner is only on a one year deal. Ekwonu is possibly the best interior lineman in the 2022 draft. Road grader with a nasty demeanor. The 6-4 320lb lineman would immediately start and help 2021 first round pick Harris reach his potential.

Round 2- Kyu Blu CB Stanford
Blu is more quick than fast which will effect his draft stock. But he reminds me of Haden in the sense he’s a technician and uses his head to stay with his guy. He’s started off hot with an interception in each of his first two games in 2021. If he keeps it up he could go higher.

Round 3- Phil Jurkovek QB Boston College
The Pittsburgh native makes his way home after a short stint at Notre Dame and finishing his collegiate career in Boston. Jurkovek is tall, athletic and has enough arm strength to get it done. A hand injury will keep him out of the rest of the season but he might not opt to come back as he’d be a 23 year old senior and a 24 year old rookie.

Round 3(comp)- Obinna Eze OT TCU
Eze is a little bit of a project as he is still learning the position not playing in high school. But the size and athleticism is there.

Round 4- Isaiah Pola-Mao S USC
Pola-Mao is related to Troy Polamalu and plays the same position. Bigger that Troy and an A+ athlete but injuries have set him back. But the 2019 shows his potential.

Round 5- Josh Johnson WR Tulsa
Shifty receiver with good hands.

Round 6- Daniel Barker TE Illinois
Good pass catching TE. I feel Ebron will leave via free agency and the Steelers will have some healthy competition behind Freiermuth.

Round 7- Marquan McCall NT Kentucky
Massive interior lineman that’s quicker than you’d expect. Run stuffer situational guy.

Steelmann

Reaction score
So....I’m not a college guy,what’s the QB class like? Are there “ sure fire” qb’s in this draft class. If say you were picking 10-15. Any great prospects that would be worthy of that pick?

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
So....I’m not a college guy,what’s the QB class like? Are there “ sure fire” qb’s in this draft class. If say you were picking 10-15. Any great prospects that would be worthy of that pick?
IMO, not very good. Spencer Rattler of Oklahoma and Sam Howell of UNC seem to be the top two prospects, but neither guy wows me. I think we need to see someone have a breakout season and move up draft boards.