• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Way too early 53 man roster pred

FordFairLane

Reaction score
QB- (3)
Ben Roethlisberger
Mason Rudolph
Joshua Dobbs

RB- (4)
Najee Harris
Benny Snell
Jaylon Samuels
Kallen Ballage

Derek Watt- (1)

WR- (5)
JuJu Smith-Schuster
Chase Claypool
Dionte Johnson
James Washington
Isaiah McCoy

TE- (3)
Eric Ebron
Pat Freiermuth
Zach Gentry

OL- (8)
Chuks Okafor
Kevin Dotson
BJ Finney
David DeCastro
Zach Banner
Kendrick Green
Dan Moore
Joe Haeg

DL-(6)
Cameron Heyward
Stephen Tuitt
Tyson Alualu
Isaiah Buggs
Carlis Davis
Isaiahh Loudermilk

LB-(10)
TJ Watt
Alex Highsmith
Quincy Roche
Cassius Marsh
Devin Bush
Vince Williams
Robert Spillane
Marcus Allen
Buddy Johnson
Miles Killebrew

CB- (6)
Joe Haden
Cam Sutton
Justin Layne
James Pierre
Shakur Brown
Trevor Williams

S- (4)
Minkah Fitzpatrick
Terrell Edmunds
Tre Norwood
Stephen Denmark

ST- (3)
PK- Chris Boswell
P- Pressley Harvin III
LS- Kameron Canaday

I have no faith that Haskins doesn’t screw up before the end of camp. Maybe he makes practice squad. I also didn’t see anything from McFarland. I understand he has history with Canada but he really needs to take a giant leap forward. JaySam and Ballage have special teams value and can be a 3rd down back and FB in a pinch. Hell, JaySam can play TE in a pinch. McFarland has really no value so if he can’t play RB why is he going to make the team? I’m higher on Isaiah McCoy than most. He tracked the ball exceptionally well and runs good routes. Above average hands. (I really like Dustin Crum as a late round QB as well for 2022) I think the Steelers might sign another OLB which leaves Allen, Johnson and Killebrew expendable. But I feel we don’t sign another edge guy until the last cuts. Probably a draft pick from another team they hoped would clear waivers for PS. I think Stephen Denmark transitions to safety. He’s athletic as Edmunds but really raw. I always thought Edmunds was an ILB but Steelers are still trying to fit the square peg in the round hole. I think Harvin III easily takes Berry’s spot.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
You've got 1 too many players.

I also think that Snell is probably the odd man out, since he offers very little athleticism in the passing game, and B-Fad played in Canada's system. That gives him a leg up in training camp. So pissed that Gray got poached. He would have been a big part of this team.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
You've got 1 too many players.

I also think that Snell is probably the odd man out, since he offers very little athleticism in the passing game, and B-Fad played in Canada's system. That gives him a leg up in training camp. So pissed that Gray got poached. He would have been a big part of this team.
I have 53.
3+4+1+5+3+8+6+10+6+4+3=53

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Snell vs McFarland

McFarland is faster but he just looked lost last year. Poor vision, no patience, easily tackled.

Snell slower but productive when has had to step in. Follows blocks and will bang up the middle.

McFarland has the Canada relationship but if he sucks in preseason I hope that doesn’t save him. I think Kerrith Whyte deserved McFarland’s roster spot last year to be honest.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
McFarland had not OTA's, no camp and no pre-season. He started the season cold. I expect him to make a big leap. Will it be enough to make the team? Who knows but people seem to forget what happened last year. The rookies will get their camp and probably show up to OTA's. The vets have said they don't want to practice so they aren't showing up. Someone like McFarland sure as **** better show up for OTA's with the rookies if he wants to have a shot to make the team. He and any other young player hoping to make it should.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
McFarland had not OTA's, no camp and no pre-season. He started the season cold. I expect him to make a big leap. Will it be enough to make the team? Who knows but people seem to forget what happened last year. The rookies will get their camp and probably show up to OTA's. The vets have said they don't want to practice so they aren't showing up. Someone like McFarland sure as **** better show up for OTA's with the rookies if he wants to have a shot to make the team. He and any other young player hoping to make it should.
He definitely could. But we both agree he needs to take a huge step forward. I really feel Canada and his draft status is the only reason he made the team last year. But if he doesn’t show big play ability why keep him? He has no special teams value and can’t play a secondary position. Hopefully he proves me wrong but right now I don’t cut anyone over him.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
does anyone see Vince Williams being the 4th OLB in some 3-4 formations? Actually more like using 3 ILB with Vince playing the strong side behind a 3 Front with Cam, Alualu and Tuitt?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Snell vs McFarland

McFarland is faster but he just looked lost last year. Poor vision, no patience, easily tackled.

Snell slower but productive when has had to step in. Follows blocks and will bang up the middle.

McFarland has the Canada relationship but if he sucks in preseason I hope that doesn’t save him. I think Kerrith Whyte deserved McFarland’s roster spot last year to be honest.

Part of these guys failures last year was the defense knew the play. I'm not saying it's all on that but McFarland did start the year better than he finished it, including the return game. I liked whyte as well but not sure there was a big difference in the two to make a difference.

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
My guess is you are probably 2-3 guys from being right and I have no idea who they will be. LBS are good special teasers but you are probably 1 LB too many with 10. Probably 6 receivers with one being a returner

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
QB- (3)
Ben Roethlisberger
Mason Rudolph
Joshua Dobbs

RB- (4)
Najee Harris
Benny Snell
Jaylon Samuels
Kallen Ballage

Derek Watt- (1)

WR- (5)
JuJu Smith-Schuster
Chase Claypool
Dionte Johnson
James Washington
Isaiah McCoy

TE- (3)
Eric Ebron
Pat Freiermuth
Zach Gentry

OL- (8)
Chuks Okafor
Kevin Dotson
BJ Finney
David DeCastro
Zach Banner
Kendrick Green
Dan Moore
Joe Haeg

DL-(6)
Cameron Heyward
Stephen Tuitt
Tyson Alualu
Isaiah Buggs
Carlis Davis
Isaiahh Loudermilk

LB-(10)
TJ Watt
Alex Highsmith
Quincy Roche
Cassius Marsh
Devin Bush
Vince Williams
Robert Spillane
Marcus Allen
Buddy Johnson
Miles Killebrew

CB- (6)
Joe Haden
Cam Sutton
Justin Layne
James Pierre
Shakur Brown
Trevor Williams

S- (4)
Minkah Fitzpatrick
Terrell Edmunds
Tre Norwood
Stephen Denmark

ST- (3)
PK- Chris Boswell
P- Pressley Harvin III
LS- Kameron Canaday

I have no faith that Haskins doesn’t screw up before the end of camp. Maybe he makes practice squad. I also didn’t see anything from McFarland. I understand he has history with Canada but he really needs to take a giant leap forward. JaySam and Ballage have special teams value and can be a 3rd down back and FB in a pinch. Hell, JaySam can play TE in a pinch. McFarland has really no value so if he can’t play RB why is he going to make the team? I’m higher on Isaiah McCoy than most. He tracked the ball exceptionally well and runs good routes. Above average hands. (I really like Dustin Crum as a late round QB as well for 2022) I think the Steelers might sign another OLB which leaves Allen, Johnson and Killebrew expendable. But I feel we don’t sign another edge guy until the last cuts. Probably a draft pick from another team they hoped would clear waivers for PS. I think Stephen Denmark transitions to safety. He’s athletic as Edmunds but really raw. I always thought Edmunds was an ILB but Steelers are still trying to fit the square peg in the round hole. I think Harvin III easily takes Berry’s spot.

PS I don't want to lose sight as to how accurate this is going to be come 53 time. Like SteelerSask I'm guessing you are only 2-3 guys variance. Obviously injury could curtail and maybe a needle is found in the haystack but I'm all for what ever makes us better.

Salute the nation

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I think they might practice squad McCoy but he is unlikely to beat out rayray for a spot.... yeah he is a raw talent, but his lackadaisical blocking and maturity probably won’t endear him to coaches out of the gate.... some think his absurdly slow 40 was from him not being in top shape going into the run... he had enough red flags to drop him out of the draft...

I think he could be a guy who makes waves a year from now, but he probably is practice squad material right off the bat

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Samuels has been hanging on by a thread, maybe it will break this camp?

Snell might be the bruiser back depth.

Salute the nation

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I think they might practice squad McCoy but he is unlikely to beat out rayray for a spot.... yeah he is a raw talent, but his lackadaisical blocking and maturity probably won’t endear him to coaches out of the gate.... some think his absurdly slow 40 was from him not being in top shape going into the run... he had enough red flags to drop him out of the draft...

I think he could be a guy who makes waves a year from now, but he probably is practice squad material right off the bat
Ray Ray has some return ability but it’s not like he’s a threat to take it to the house. If the Steelers go 6 receivers he’d likely be the guy. McKoy didn’t test all that well but on tape he looks faster than timed. I’m going out on a little limb but he reminds me a bit of JuJu. Smooth not fast and runs crisp routes.

JaySam has been hanging on by a thread the last couple of camps but there literally was no reason McFarland made the team last year. He was horrible. I’ll hope with a year under his belt and a full offseason he turns it up this summer but he looked too much like Dri Archer last year.

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
Some OTA’s and a legitimate training camp will help both McFarland and D.Watt to be inserted properly into the offense. Canada’s offense uses everyone and will feature different players on mismatches with the different shifting and motions. I hope D Watt can become the solid pass catcher from the backfield he has shown with the Chargers he can be.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Some OTA’s and a legitimate training camp will help both McFarland and D.Watt to be inserted PROPERLY into the offense. Canada’s offense uses everyone and will feature different players on mismatches with the different shifting and motions. I hope D Watt can become the solid pass catcher from the backfield he has shown with the Chargers he can be.

Now you're talkiN

You are right Falco, Canada is our new OC and he will do MOUNTAINS better than Fitchner could ever do. I for one am excited to see this NEW OFFENSIVE scheme as I'm sure it will include a running game as well. CANADA may not be the instant miracle solution but he will be a hell of a lot better than the Spitchner juice we been drinking.

Salute the nation

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Ray Ray has some return ability but it’s not like he’s a threat to take it to the house. If the Steelers go 6 receivers he’d likely be the guy. McKoy didn’t test all that well but on tape he looks faster than timed. I’m going out on a little limb but he reminds me a bit of JuJu. Smooth not fast and runs crisp routes.

JaySam has been hanging on by a thread the last couple of camps but there literally was no reason McFarland made the team last year. He was horrible. I’ll hope with a year under his belt and a full offseason he turns it up this summer but he looked too much like Dri Archer last year.
But they aren’t going to use dionte or claypool on returns and there really isn’t many other options.... again I think mckoy has potential, but unless they keep six he probably gets moved to the practice squad

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Oh look at the healthy competition at Left Tackle. Unless Dan Moore is an absolute stud from the get go, Ben is ******.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh look at the healthy competition at Left Tackle. Unless Dan Moore is an absolute stud from the get go, Ben is ******.
I somewhat disagree for a few reasons. One I haven't seen enough of Chukes at LT to know where he stands on pass blocking. I tend to think his run blocking won't be anything special. But I like to see him at LT the whole preseason and see what it is looking like. I think it is possible Chukes will be better on the left than the right due to his athletiscm. Just a theory at this point but I am not labeling Ben as ****** yet. I think the Oline for the most part has better chances to be respectable at run blocking this year. Add a capable running back into the mix and that could take pressure off Ben as well. If Green wins the start at C that could really put a positive spin on the unit as a whole. I thought Ben put up respectable numbers with a fading AL. I think Chukes could prove to be an upgrade over last year AV. We'll see.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I somewhat disagree for a few reasons. One I haven't seen enough of Chukes at LT to know where he stands on pass blocking. I tend to think his run blocking won't be anything special. But I like to see him at LT the whole preseason and see what it is looking like. I think it is possible Chukes will be better on the left than the right due to his athletiscm. Just a theory at this point but I am not labeling Ben as ****** yet. I think the Oline for the most part has better chances to be respectable at run blocking this year. Add a capable running back into the mix and that could take pressure off Ben as well. If Green wins the start at C that could really put a positive spin on the unit as a whole. I thought Ben put up respectable numbers with a fading AL. I think Chukes could prove to be an upgrade over last year AV. We'll see.
Is he athletic though? It may be his best trait, but compared to his peers its nothing special. The only thing he has going for him is I believe it's his natural position. Based on what I saw last year is he offered nothing in the run blocking department and missed assignments. Pass blocking was tough to evaluate for the HS offense that Fichtner was running last year. Villanueva was nothing special last year, but I still think he performed head and shoulders over Okorafor.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Unless Oakafor has done some good off-season stuff, Moore may be our best LT on the roster.!

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Is he athletic though? It may be his best trait, but compared to his peers its nothing special. The only thing he has going for him is I believe it's his natural position. Based on what I saw last year is he offered nothing in the run blocking department and missed assignments. Pass blocking was tough to evaluate for the HS offense that Fichtner was running last year. Villanueva was nothing special last year, but I still think he performed head and shoulders over Okorafor.
I think he is athletic enough but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. But for me he might be better served on the left. Hard to compare him to AV because at the end of the day boths play was at times less than desirable. Plus Chukes didn't play enough time at a position I think he would perform better at. How much is to be seen. The unknown that will become a known for better or worse.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
point is,, were taking an aged QB into the season for an all or nothing,, and his blind side is protected by a 3rd rounder from western michigan. A project. Never seen time at LT. DIC is right, Moore might be our Best LT on the roster. This is my point. It's the weakest spot on the roster. Bens old and doesnt shed DLmen like he used to. Please tell me you havent pinned your hopes on Chukwama Okorafor (in my Col. Jessup voice). Please tell me you havent decided that the steelers have nothing more in the tank to show at LT than a 3rd round guy from western Michigan.. and that the hopes and dreams rest on the 1st year offensive coordinator and his first year O line coach dreaming up schemes to keep ben aloft.
Im an educated man but im afraid i cant speak intelligently about the personnel scheme of the Pittsburgh Steelers. What i do know is that their LT wasnt renewed and there isnt a legit tried and true LT slated to take his place.
Now, Is this really the question mark of the team i feel i was called here to answer? Centers and Guards? Please tell me that you have something more Steeler Nation. Big Ben, Number 7 is in the season of his life. Please tell me that his fans havent pinned his hopes on a guy from chicago named coward.

I feel that Big Bens life might be endangered, once the regular season got underway. Grave Danger?

For a 39 yr old QB., Is there any other kind?

Stop whistling past the grave yard.