• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Week 1 Steelers at Hungover Pussycats- pregame thread

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Lets start their season off inducing vomit with a brutal loss at home…

Sack Joe Exotic till he wants to go to jail rather than be on the field

Chase Chase off the stat sheet

Tee off on higgans

Slaughter these Bungholes and put them back in their rightful place at the bottom of the division

bkwheat28

Reaction score
Love the optimism! I think they deserve respect, they’ve accumulated a helluva lot of talent and we are in a transition period. Hoping for best but we are about to find out if Tomlins coaching is really up to challenge of losing his HOF quarterback permanently. ‘19 was impressive after Ben’s injury to remain competitive and now it’s really gonna be interesting to see if he can keep the team in the upper echelon of the league. But I’m with ya, kick those kitties *****! (Just don’t let Bush near a balcony as we do it, his track record with heights and cats ain’t real sharp 😉) GO STEELERS!!!!!!!

steelhurt

Reaction score
Slow down there hoss! Bengals have a solid roster and have improved their OL major.
Lots of big time skill players and franchise QB. They will be tough to sneak up on like we did last season with the Bills but possible. Need a strong rush pressuring Joe Burrow and need to slow down their rushing attack.
On offense we need some type of rushing attack and OL must open lanes and protect Mitch. Expect lots of rolling out of the pocket since this OL will need lots of help.
ST as always will play a critical part. Harvin needs to help out and not kick any clunkers.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Id like to pick the steelers, but Cinci built a solid team. They were not really cinderellas last year just that all their pieces started coming together. They should have an improved line this year which was their biggest weakness last year. The Steelers CAN win, but it would be a massive upset IMO.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Id like to pick the steelers, but Cinci built a solid team. They were not really cinderellas last year just that all their pieces started coming together. They should have an improved line this year which was their biggest weakness last year. The Steelers CAN win, but it would be a massive upset IMO.
Buffalo says hi.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Buffalo says hi.
So hard to tell the Oline is still a work in progress but the corner coverage and run D should be better. As well as QB play and inside running game if the pass blocking doesn't get the QBs killed. Really think this team goes as far as the O-line lets them...

madinsomniac

Reaction score
According to many at this time lat year, The Browns were on the verge of a dynasty with Baker Mayfield leading the way to a renaissance… meanwhile a bunch of people kept saying they were going to fall off and to not sleep on the Bengals

Two years ago, we were in the Midst of tge inevitable and unstoppable Lamar Jackson led Ravens dynasty, but a lot of people said that with more tape he’d come back to the pack and the Browns, who were playing an easier schedule and had no expectations after the previous season’s collapse, were going to be a problem that year

Three years ago The Browns were a super bowl favorite and universally picked to win the division going away… people accurately pointed out that that team wilts under expectations and wasn’t mature enough to handle things….

The Bengals had a lightning in the bottle season… people never expected JC to have that kind of immeadiate impact, and didn’t have a solid way to stop Chase, and after midseason the defense solidified in a way that people weren’t expecting …

This year they added to the Oline, but as we know all too well, Olines don’t gel overnight and good players aren’t always plug n play from scheme to scheme

People are going to have a better grasp of that three wideout offense, and that defense.. they will play a first place schedule and teams aren’t going to overlook them because “they are the Bengals “ there is a good reason teams like the Bengals drop off…

Conversely nobody is picking the Steelers this year… if the qb can overcome the line issues this team should be really solid…

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't expect to win this game. I just want to see some incremental improvement on the O-line as the season moves along...then we can clip 'em back at home.

Stewey

Reaction score
I'd love to say that the Steelers will win. So I will.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Buffalo says hi.
This is true, and anything can happen especially the first game of the season. I just feel cinci is a worse match up w/ the style of their offense in general. Allen can be up and down while Burrow is pretty damn consistent and accurate. I think last year 80+% of his balls were rated in the catchable window. He was way ahead of the next QB in that area. Their top 3 WRs are very good and they have a tough TE in Hurst w/ a versatile back in Mixon. I think our only shot is to be able to get quick pressure. The Bengals D gave up less than 20 ppg in the playoffs and only 7.3 points after halftime. They had one of the best D-lines in the game and against our Oline that is definitely not a good thing. Again anything can happen, but I think we are severely outmatched at several positions.

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
If Mitch and company can drop a couple of intermediate passes behind their linebackers in the middle of the field (something we haven’t seen in quite a few years)- it could help open up the running game. I hope we don’t see the quick pass and dump it down field approach.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
If Mitch and company can drop a couple of intermediate passes behind their linebackers in the middle of the field (something we haven’t seen in quite a few years)- it could help open up the running game. I hope we don’t see the quick pass and dump it down field approach.
There are going to be several missing components the past few years that will be in this year, I suspect… I think rollouts and designed qb runs are back… I think you will see that intermediate passing game, and I bet we even see play action and screens

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
There are going to be several missing components the past few years that will be in this year, I suspect… I think rollouts and designed qb runs are back… I think you will see that intermediate passing game, and I bet we even see play action and screens
Oh yeah, definitely the screen game may return. I’m looking forward to watching to see what Canada really wants to do vs what Ben wants to do.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Our screens are terrible i wouldn't want that to return. Our lineman can't handle regular blocking asking them to block for a screen would be ugly. I do think our offense will be better in general, but not sure if it will be enough.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
The Steelers are +16.5 in the point spread. Ouch!

Steelers 9
Bungles 27

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh yeah, definitely the screen game may return. I’m looking forward to watching to see what Canada really wants to do vs what Ben wants to do.
I don't think any of that was what Ben wanted to do. I think it's about all he was capable of at that point. The guy was completely immobile. You aren't running slow developing pass routes with a guy that can't escape pressure. Not with that O-line.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers are +16.5 in the point spread. Ouch!

Steelers 9
Bungles 27
Where did you see that? Everything I've seen has them +6.5.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Must have been an old line...when I clicked on the reference link it showed +6.5