• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Well there is at least one more signing - Isaac Seumalo

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
CB Gonzalez, Witherspoon, Porter, Banks
OT Jones, Johnson, Skoronski (given this offseason approach I’m not sure he’s an option)

If those guys are off the board, I look to move down. The WRs will be overdrafted but the 20s are a decent place for who is available. The DL talent isn’t there and I don’t know about going edge (I am. it as high on Van Ness at 17). TE in the first, especially in a deep class, is a tough move. Not a high positional value when you can find good options in the middle rounds. It’s like RB and ILB in my book.
Let's see probably 4 QBs will be taken by 17. At least 1 CB, 1 WR, 3 pass rushers either at DE or OLBer. 2 Tackles.

So what happens between 12 and 16 will be what dictates if a trade down is in order. In that 5 range we have Broderick,Addison,Branch, Witherspoon, and Van Ness. My money is on one of these players being a Steeler. How positions are valued early that player could be Branch.

steelhurt

Reaction score
What the hell were they thinking drafting an undersized guard in the third round no less and then anointing him the next Maurkice Pouncey jersey number and all, inserting him as a starting center in the NFL? Thats nuts Slash! Greene is simply just too small to play at this level. A wasted premium pick!

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
What the hell were they thinking drafting an undersized guard in the third round no less and then anointing him the next Maurkice Pouncey jersey number and all, inserting him as a starting center in the NFL? Thats nuts Slash! Greene is simply just too small to play at this level. A wasted premium pick!
The fell in love with the athlete very similar to how they fell for Bush. And although different paths had a similar outcome. At least Bush was actually playing his college position. Yeah it was a reach and it set them back.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Let's see probably 4 QBs will be taken by 17. At least 1 CB, 1 WR, 3 pass rushers either at DE or OLBer. 2 Tackles.

So what happens between 12 and 16 will be what dictates if a trade down is in order. In that 5 range we have Broderick,Addison,Branch, Witherspoon, and Van Ness. My money is on one of these players being a Steeler. How positions are valued early that player could be Branch.
I’ve seen mocks where everyone we’d want is gone and others where the Steelers have their pick from 4-5 prospects. This is a very tough draft to read. Branch is interesting because he can play safety or fill Cam Sutton’s role.

Also, can you sell me on Van Ness? I get the upside, but he doesn’t jump out as a mid-round first for me.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve seen mocks where everyone we’d want is gone and others where the Steelers have their pick from 4-5 prospects. This is a very tough draft to read. Branch is interesting because he can play safety or fill Cam Sutton’s role.

Also, can you sell me on Van Ness? I get the upside, but he doesn’t jump out as a mid-round first for me.
I am looking at upside of what he flashed. He made Paris and Skor both look silly on plays. His combine was solid to match that flash he showed on the field. I listed him last because I don't expect him to be there at 32. I have his upside as being really high. At the same time he has a level of bust as well. High reward/risk type. How the position is valued he could be off the board before 17.

Busy day I will throw out some more on him later..

Steel Reign

Custom Title
Contributor
Reaction score
The free agent pickups have been enough on point that they really don't need to reach at any of their first three picks. They have multiple positions of need and they can look to take whomever their best overall option is at each pick now vs looking to reach for one position only. This has been a pretty decent free agency not only for whom we signed but also how the Steelers can approach the draft.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I am really confused at this signing. I like the player but don’t see the need anymore with Herbig. I think Dotson probably gets moved for whatever we can get for him. Maybe a 7th. I’m sure Khan asks for a 5th, hopes for a 6th is lucky if we get a 7th. Daniels could potentially get moved too. Would save us a couple million in cap space. Maybe he just doesn’t fit the blocking scheme and he probably would get us a 5th.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder if tgey can get anything for Dotson… maybe a jar of peanut Butter and a box of old kicking tees or something
Are the old kicking tees the vintage wilson ones that were in most sporting good stores in the 90’s?

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I am really confused at this signing. I like the player but don’t see the need anymore with Herbig. I think Dotson probably gets moved for whatever we can get for him. Maybe a 7th. I’m sure Khan asks for a 5th, hopes for a 6th is lucky if we get a 7th. Daniels could potentially get moved too. Would save us a couple million in cap space. Maybe he just doesn’t fit the blocking scheme and he probably would get us a 5th.
Yeah I feel like one guard is definitely getting traded now… unless there are injury issues we don’t know about

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Trade Dotson for a 6th or 7th if u can’t trade green, green was a mistake to convert to c thry should toke Quinn miernez instead

MeanJim

Forefather
Reaction score
We've signed 4 starting caliber OL free agents in the last 2 seasons. What's going on? Whatever it is, I like it, even though it's a decade late.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm definitely wondering if this happens. Heck, they could even be thinking of moving Colon if they can snag Dawand Jones in the draft but ideally they would move someone before the draft to get the pick in hand. Something for maybe a 5th rounder would be nice or even a 4th if they can rob someone.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed Jim...

But when you dont draft them...

AND

You’re still missing a VER important piece……… LT, you’ll keep signing as long as you keep ignoring the true trench.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I want to be very clear, Moore could be that LT, pending on how much the LG advances or is replaced. Better interior play will help Dan Moore a who;le lot, and ZI’m always rooting for our players to succeed.

I just happen to think that we are right on the cusp of a very good OL and don’t want to take the foot off the pedal to becoming one of the BEST OLs in football.

Salute the nation

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I want to be very clear, Moore could be that LT, pending on how much the LG advances or is replaced. Better interior play will help Dan Moore a who;le lot, and ZI’m always rooting for our players to succeed.

I just happen to think that we are right on the cusp of a very good OL and don’t want to take the foot off the pedal to becoming one of the BEST OLs in football.

Salute the nation
I think Moore is the LT...
Second most difficult position to play and be very successful at , other than QB..
I think the kid is going to be a good one for many years...

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
With the position flexibility of the guys signed in the last two years, there's no need to keep/bring back JC Hassenauer or Green. They kept 5 IOL last year in Dotson, Cole, Daniels, Green and Hassenauer. Cole, Daniels and supposedly Green offered G/C flexibility. Dotson was G only and Hassenauer was basically C only. With the signings they've made, Cole, Daniels, Herbig and Seumalo are G/C capable. Dotson is G only, but can play either Guard spot. They are deep with starter and backup talent at all IOL positions. Much more so than last year.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Can we agree that Andy Weidl is having a very significant impact on roster construction? Philly defense focused on numerous athletic DT's and very talented CB's.

Steelers are fixing OL in free agency so that they can draft DL and CB's.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Can we agree that Andy Weidl is having a very significant impact on roster construction? Philly defense focused on numerous athletic DT's and very talented CB's.

Interestingly enough, Philly had guys like Javon Hargrave and Milton Williams along with the veteran Fletcher Cox, but then drafted the big two-down defensive lineman in Jordan Davis. They also like to build depth on the edge, or at least guys who can rush the quarterback.

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score

I think an ot is still in play the first two days but I agree defense will be the story when it's all said and done.