• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Well there is at least one more signing - Isaac Seumalo

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
I didn’t know much about Seumalo before reading about his signing with us, but it seems like he’s a stud, but can’t stay out of the trainer’s room. Not a same nagging injury thing, but more a horrible luck and made of glass thing. And he ain’t getting any younger.
Here’s hoping he gets some good luck with us, because we dearly need it after the last decade of awful injury luck.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Can we agree that Andy Weidl is having a very significant impact on roster construction? Philly defense focused on numerous athletic DT's and very talented CB's.

Steelers are fixing OL in free agency so that they can draft DL and CB's.
Weidl joined the Eagles prior to the 2016-17, I believe in May. He wasn't the top guy there, but it's still interesting to see what the Eagles did during this time. Here are the top picks over the next six seasons:

2017-Derek Barnett, EDGE
2018-No Pick (Baltimore traded up for Lamar Jackson, Eagles received no first-round pick in return)
2019-Andre Dillard, OT
2020-Jalen Reagor, WR
2021-DeVonta Smith, WR
2022-Jordan Davis, DT

Four of the five selections were at premium positions. Looking at the player selections below, there are some general trends.

The Eagles love taking wide receivers all over the draft. They just aren't very good at it (until DeVonta Smith). I like taking receivers, so hopefully the Steelers scouting department still will have their evaluations on the players. Seven offensive linemen drafted over five years, including three day 1 or 2 selections--compare that to just four for the Steelers with Kendrick Green being the highest selection. The Eagles select a ton of EDGE guys on day 3. No first rounders spent on defensive backs and linebackers aren't highly valued--just two third-round picks

Position# of selections in rounds 1-3# of selections in rounds 4-7Total # of selections
QB112
RB123
WR347
TE112
OT134
IOL213
IDL224
EDGE167
LB213
CB224
S033

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve seen mocks where everyone we’d want is gone and others where the Steelers have their pick from 4-5 prospects. This is a very tough draft to read. Branch is interesting because he can play safety or fill Cam Sutton’s role.

Also, can you sell me on Van Ness? I get the upside, but he doesn’t jump out as a mid-round first for me.
Ok a little more from my perspective. One of the reasons I touted Watt so much pre draft besides his stats,measurable,bloodline,etc. was his hands. Heavy hands to get off blocks which I liked. Van Ness isn't Watt but he has those heavy hands. I saw footage of him using his hands to power off blocks in run defense and pursuit to the QB. I think he is a three down player who can shut down the run now while he develops as a pass rusher. And what better than Heyward and TJ to show him the ropes. He moved around schematically so they will have to figure out his best position. I think the Steelers can unmask his ceiling. Not on the top of my list for 17 as I said but there is a lot to like there. @32 I would run to the podium. Side stepping the frail and power walking through the froggy in route to put that card in.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve seen a few mocks with the Steelers drafting RT and moving Chuks to LT.
Hasn’t Dan Moore beat out Okorafor 2 years running? I stick with Moore and if they do get that “stud” LT in the draft then you look at Moore combating Chuks for the RT spot. I’m not sure Okorafor is playing his contract worth.

Just my 3 cents.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok a little more from my perspective. One of the reasons I touted Watt so much pre draft besides his stats,measurable,bloodline,etc. was his hands. Heavy hands to get off blocks which I liked. Van Ness isn't Watt but he has those heavy hands. I saw footage of him using his hands to power off blocks in run defense and pursuit to the QB. I think he is a three down player who can shut down the run now while he develops as a pass rusher. And what better than Heyward and TJ to show him the ropes. He moved around schematically so they will have to figure out his best position. I think the Steelers can unmask his ceiling. Not on the top of my list for 17 as I said but there is a lot to like there. @32 I would run to the podium. Side stepping the frail and power walking through the froggy in route to put that card in.

Heck yes, now you’re talking, both in player and podium pursuit.

Nice pointing out the “heavy” hands slash, thanks for that tid-bit.

Salute the nation

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Hasn’t Dan Moore beat out Okorafor 2 years running? I stick with Moore and if they do get that “stud” LT in the draft then you look at Moore combating Chuks for the RT spot. I’m not sure Okorafor is playing his contract worth.

Just my 3 cents.

Salute the nation
If they get a stud LT or RT and Chuks gets beat out, I think they keep him as the swing tackle for this year. My opinion is not based on talent, but rather the fact that he is guaranteed $8M in salary and bonus money this year and they would only save $2,916,666 by cutting him. It's possible the $4M roster bonus doesn't kick in till later, but they most often kick in on the first day of the new league year.

https://overthecap.com/player/chukwuma-okorafor/6977

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If they get a stud LT or RT and Chuks gets beat out, I think they keep him as the swing tackle for this year. My opinion is not based on talent, but rather the fact that he is guaranteed $8M in salary and bonus money this year and they would only save $2,916,666 by cutting him. It's possible the $4M roster bonus doesn't kick in till later, but they most often kick in on the first day of the new league year.

https://overthecap.com/player/chukwuma-okorafor/6977

Great post SteelBuckeye !!!

If it works out to that scenario, I see the same thing. Oakorafor will not be cut. I still feel he isn’t playing up to his contract. I felt like we over-paid when they signed him to it and still feel that way currently.

I hope if it comes down to a competition for Chuks to start, it is a fair competition and Chuks isn’t just playing due to his contract cost.

Salute the nation

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow I like the signing, he brings that Polamalu style back to the Steelers, well a big snack kind of polamalu. The guy had a couple of years down due to injuries but when called he answered.

Now there's a clog of starter capable players after the only one id consider a true top starter, Daniels. Also None of the Gs are Center capable either. What's the deal there?

Some thoughts:
1. Maybe the plan is to play Herbig at NT?
2. This puts Torrence and probably Mauch too out of the equation.
3. Having Moore next to a capable and consistent LG starter will help him a lot.
4. Maybe they are targeting a 4th round C? Stromberg probably
5. I think the plan is 1.17 Best CB available, then BPA between OT (the usual suspects), DL (hello Mazi?), S(a falling Branch?) , TE (the georgia monster or Mayer?), WR (ugh, too early) ?

Man I was thinking close to your thoughts LITOS ....after watching an interview with him ..... to me ....,,more like Troy P. mixed with Cam Heyward......... hair and demeanor

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Man I was thinking close to your thoughts LITOS ....after watching an interview with him ..... to me ....,,more like Troy P. mixed with Cam Heyward......... hair and demeanor
I'll probably will be visiting my sis in calgary in about a month. You nearby? A beer and some Steelers chat would be great.

Also right now I'm in Miami, in case any SteelerNation bro is nearby for a couple of beers.

steelreeling

Reaction score
You starting Dotson over Cole? I'm not.
i'm not. i'm starting Daniels over Cole.
From left to right: Moore-Seumalo-Daniels-Herbig-Rookie/FA.

And that's what i think of Chuks abilities overall, and particularly in the running game. If you start Dot, then you might as well throw Green in at Center cause you're screwed on matching roles with responsibilities anyway.

Why? ... if you're gonna drive the big nasty 1 into the 3hole then you're gonna have to have a guy with some ***.
You need a guy that can push and get up under the chest with some umph. Cole is technically sound but he doesn't have the power you need to drive a 1 so that your guard can ping-pong off the 1's outside shoulder and punish either a heavy 3 or a Mike.

Make no mistake, these signings are intended to welcome back a Bill Cowher-type offense. Run first.
Pickett can thank them later.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
With the position flexibility of the guys signed in the last two years, there's no need to keep/bring back JC Hassenauer or Green. They kept 5 IOL last year in Dotson, Cole, Daniels, Green and Hassenauer. Cole, Daniels and supposedly Green offered G/C flexibility. Dotson was G only and Hassenauer was basically C only. With the signings they've made, Cole, Daniels, Herbig and Seumalo are G/C capable. Dotson is G only, but can play either Guard spot. They are deep with starter and backup talent at all IOL positions. Much more so than last year.
I’ve always liked JC…he can play C and OG.

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll probably will be visiting my sis in calgary in about a month. You nearby? A beer and some Steelers chat would be great.

Also right now I'm in Miami, in case any SteelerNation bro is nearby for a couple of beers.
It would be great to meet one of my Steeler's brothers and appreciate the invite. Unfortunately I live an hour away from Toronto and Calgary is over 2000 miles or 3200 km away

Only a 32 hour drive in good weather ....... now if I had a supercharged luxury S10 like some folks on this board ....... I might be able to make it in a couple of hours or so

Lambert58

Reaction score

Having fun with those bullets flying by? :p

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
i'm not. i'm starting Daniels over Cole.
From left to right: Moore-Seumalo-Daniels-Herbig-Rookie/FA.

And that's what i think of Chuks abilities overall, and particularly in the running game. If you start Dot, then you might as well throw Green in at Center cause you're screwed on matching roles with responsibilities anyway.

Why? ... if you're gonna drive the big nasty 1 into the 3hole then you're gonna have to have a guy with some ***.
You need a guy that can push and get up under the chest with some umph. Cole is technically sound but he doesn't have the power you need to drive a 1 so that your guard can ping-pong off the 1's outside shoulder and punish either a heavy 3 or a Mike.

Make no mistake, these signings are intended to welcome back a Bill Cowher-type offense. Run first.
Pickett can thank them later.
Cole played well at C and Daniels did also at G. Is Daniels a C? Why mess with the 2 best players on the OL from last year?

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It would be great to meet one of my Steeler's brothers and appreciate the invite. Unfortunately I live an hour away from Toronto and Calgary is over 2000 miles or 3200 km away

Only a 32 hour drive in good weather ....... now if I had a supercharged luxury S10 like some folks on this board ....... I might be able to make it in a couple of hours or so

Imagine the HP created with NORTHERN AIR..........................!!!!!!

If it was feasible, the keys would be in your hands & with a full tank + the 17.6 full 5 gal petro cans chained in the back.

Salute the nation

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Signed two new guards and only needed 1, makes you wonder if Cole is going to lose the C job to Herbig? They go LT and get swinging door Moore out of the lineup and this OL will be completely revamped. The can get some RT depth later in the draft.

That lets us do DB/DL/ILB with picks 2-4.

steelreeling

Reaction score
Cole played well at C and Daniels did also at G. Is Daniels a C? Why mess with the 2 best players on the OL from last year?
Because you are fundamentally changing the offense.

The two OG signed are instantly the best two OL on the team - and it's not even close. it'll be 60/40 run now.
And it'll be the already installed inside-trap/zone rushing because they now have the personnel to fit that. Unfortunately, Cole & Dot are not as well suited to do that, they can be backups. Meanwhile Green is out.

They are taking the ball right out of Pickett's hands. Should keep Pickett from collecting another 2-3 concussions this season and then having to consider retiring.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

The two OG signed are instantly the best two OL on the team - and it's not even close. it'll be 60/40 run now.
And it'll be the already installed inside-trap/zone rushing because they now have the personnel to fit that. Unfortunately, Cole & Dot are not as well suited to do that, they can be backups. Meanwhile Green is out.

They are taking the ball right out of Pickett's hands. Should keep Pickett from collecting another 2-3 concussions this season and then having to consider retiring.
It could happen but I still don't see it. They paid decent money for Cole and Daniels last year and both played well. Seumalo will definitely start and probably at LG and instantly improve both Cole and Moore as they won't have to worry about the liability in Dot right next to them. Herbig is looking like a backup with Dot and Dot will be gone after this year when he becomes a FA unless he somehow improves dramatically heading into his 4th season. Green is definitely gone. I don't even know if they will stash him on the PS although they could to not admit their mistake quite yet.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
I didn’t know much about Seumalo before reading about his signing with us, but it seems like he’s a stud, but can’t stay out of the trainer’s room. Not a same nagging injury thing, but more a horrible luck and made of glass thing. And he ain’t getting any younger.
Here’s hoping he gets some good luck with us, because we dearly need it after the last decade of awful injury luck.
Well we didn’t have 1 starting OL miss a game last year from injury

Doubt we get that lucky two years in a row

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

Daniels is better than herbig, or that's what their respective contract and market say

steelreeling

Reaction score
It could happen but I still don't see it. They paid decent money for Cole and Daniels last year and both played well. Seumalo will definitely start and probably at LG and instantly improve both Cole and Moore as they won't have to worry about the liability in Dot right next to them. Herbig is looking like a backup with Dot and Dot will be gone after this year when he becomes a FA unless he somehow improves dramatically heading into his 4th season. Green is definitely gone. I don't even know if they will stash him on the PS although they could to not admit their mistake quite yet.
There is NO REASON for the Steelers go out and sign Herbig - now the team's best run-blocker - if the offense wasn't going to stop calling this crazy-*** gadget/ outside passing game. Now double that with the signing of another Guard who is pretty damn good at run-blocking and a solid rock at pass-blocking. Both men come to the table with power in their legs and some, but not alot of mobility.

These are not the men you sign to run the jet sweep. These are not the men you sign to Wham-block.

If Herbig rides the damn bench, the running game gets even worse because the defense doesn't even have to worry about one of their guys getting blown off the ball. That'll destroy the team. That could lead to 41-3 blowouts that make the fanbase turn the television off.