• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Well there is at least one more signing - Isaac Seumalo

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It could happen but I still don't see it. They paid decent money for Cole and Daniels last year and both played well. Seumalo will definitely start and probably at LG and instantly improve both Cole and Moore as they won't have to worry about the liability in Dot right next to them. Herbig is looking like a backup with Dot and Dot will be gone after this year when he becomes a FA unless he somehow improves dramatically heading into his 4th season. Green is definitely gone. I don't even know if they will stash him on the PS although they could to not admit their mistake quite yet.

Although GREEN should be gone, the expanded PS numbers will allow them to hide their mistake, if they see him,
as a mistake.(you never now with this staff).

I do hope like heck that if one of the stud LTs id there, we have the courage to take him.

Salute the nation

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
I'll probably will be visiting my sis in calgary in about a month. You nearby? A beer and some Steelers chat would be great.

Also right now I'm in Miami, in case any SteelerNation bro is nearby for a couple of beers.
Enjoy your trip. Go see Banff, Jasper and the Icefields Parkway, to start.

Avoid_Lloyd

Reaction score
Why? They eliminated need off of G. That doesn't eliminate the need for a CB,T,S,slot WR, DE, or a TE to pair with Muth.

I would think the value would be there. I prefer to leave trade downs with either the value isn't there. Or some team offers something too good to pass up.

Don't forget ILB, I know we have 2 new guys but they aren't quick twitch coverage and sideline to sideline guys. This D ha never been the same without Shazier and Tomlin is too stubborn to scheme around average/below average athletes at ILB, if a stud is there at 17 or 32 it needs to be heavily considered

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Don't forget ILB, I know we have 2 new guys but they aren't quick twitch coverage and sideline to sideline guys. This D ha never been the same without Shazier and Tomlin is too stubborn to scheme around average/below average athletes at ILB, if a stud is there at 17 or 32 it needs to be heavily considered
No ILB at 17. The first-round prospects just don't live up to the hype enough to justify the pick. Day 2 is where teams often find the best ILBs and I'd be okay with the Steelers going with Campbell at 32.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
There is NO REASON for the Steelers go out and sign Herbig - now the team's best run-blocker - if the offense wasn't going to stop calling this crazy-*** gadget/ outside passing game. Now double that with the signing of another Guard who is pretty damn good at run-blocking and a solid rock at pass-blocking. Both men come to the table with power in their legs and some, but not alot of mobility.

These are not the men you sign to run the jet sweep. These are not the men you sign to Wham-block.

If Herbig rides the damn bench, the running game gets even worse because the defense doesn't even have to worry about one of their guys getting blown off the ball. That'll destroy the team. That could lead to 41-3 blowouts that make the fanbase turn the television off.
Herbigs contract this year is actually rather low. It is only about 2 million total cap hit… it escalates next year. They needed flexible depth on the oline badly and he is more likely going to be that this year… next year Daniels dead cap space drops to 2 million dollars…. If they we’re looking to replace him, that would be way more logical… let Herbig see if he can play in our scheme then insert him later…

Its just not wise to completely blow up the oline every year… unless they are really bad, you want them to get a couple of years to stabilize before you make rash judgements… Dot was probably the weakest link so upgrading him was probably the best option… but shuffling the entire IOL isn’t ideal…

Even if they draft two tackles this year, it’s unlikely that both will be ready to start as rookies…

steelreeling

Reaction score
let Herbig see if he can play in our scheme then insert him later…
Based on Herbig's mobility and with the reach blocking and the disguised fronts/ slide assignments, Herbig will not do as well as Daniels in the current pass blocking system. He's not that kind of blocker.
If the O isn't going to change radically into a 60/40 running team then Herbig is man out of position. He cannot just be our one Dot-like guy after Dot goes to the practice squad.

Its just not wise to completely blow up the oline every year…
i hear you. But if the OL we got are incredibly not suited to run the ball and nor can they keep Pickett from being concussed. And by all measures last year, Pickett looks like another coming of Big Ben.

Run the ball and you protect Kenny. Dont and Canada could very likely retire your franchise Quarterback.