• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What free agents would you like to see the Steelers bring in still?

FordFairLane

Reaction score
So what free agents would you like the Steelers to maybe bring in? I know there’s not a lot left but that’s probably the only players left in our price range. Here’s my short list.

1- Olivier Vernon
Highsmith is starting and Roche is going to get lots of playing time right now. That means TJ getting double teamed every snap. Vernon had a good year last year but he’s the wrong side of 30. Should be a good situational/rotational guy.

2- Justin Houston
Same as above but feel he’ll cost a bit more. And he might not be as cool with being a rotating player.

3- Buster Skrine
I am not sure we have our nickel db on the team yet. Skrine would bring a safety net to the depth chart and I feel he can be brought in reasonably cheap.

4- Jeff Heath
I’m not sold on our depth at safety and heath is in my opinion a bit underrated. He’s an average starter but for a depth guy I feel he’d be awesome. In fact in coverage I feel he’d be an upgrade over Edmunds.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Justine Huston would be a pass in my opinion (age & health) empty tank in my opinion

Jesse James to high price possibly and I think CB is higher need at this point. Unless James was dirt cheap I don’t see it happening.

We need to still take a crack at Nelson just to see what what.

Salute the nation

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I would have loved Kerrigan. Vernon would be good on a 1 yr deal. We do need a corner as every said. still holding out hope that Nelson and the Steelers agree they are good for each other

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Did Nelson sign elsewhere yet? If not maybe he will come back on a 1 year deal. We’ve seen lots of guys take relatively cheap 1 year deals because they know most of the league is broke this year and there should be lots of money available next year .

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Did Nelson sign elsewhere yet? If not maybe he will come back on a 1 year deal. We’ve seen lots of guys take relatively cheap 1 year deals because they know most of the league is broke this year and there should be lots of money available next year .
No, his name has been linked to the Jets recently. I am pretty sure no matter what he’s not getting a pay raise. But the pride factor can’t be ignored. I don’t think he comes back for less than he was making with us. Other teams probably get him for a lesser amount but not us.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd love to get Nelson back - he'll need a new number; and I'd like Houston as well as a rotational OLB...

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
No, his name has been linked to the Jets recently. I am pretty sure no matter what he’s not getting a pay raise. But the pride factor can’t be ignored. I don’t think he comes back for less than he was making with us. Other teams probably get him for a lesser amount but not us.
Through his agent, Fowler said there are 14 teams vying for his services. Which means none are considering what his agent is asking contract wise. There is probably a .00001% chance Nelson will return. Everyone don't hold your breath.

Houston and Vernon both are DE and Houston hasn't played OLB since 2018. So unless they take a minimum contract they aren't candidates. Jesse James would be a good signing and perfect for depth from injuries.

Skrine is an interesting consideration, at vet minimum.

Big Ben Rules

Reaction score
I thought Vernon blew out his knee. I think lt was next to last game. He probably doesn't even play this season

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Through his agent, Fowler said there are 14 teams vying for his services. Which means none are considering what his agent is asking contract wise. There is probably a .00001% chance Nelson will return. Everyone don't hold your breath.

Houston and Vernon both are DE and Houston hasn't played OLB since 2018. So unless they take a minimum contract they aren't candidates. Jesse James would be a good signing and perfect for depth from injuries.

Skrine is an interesting consideration, at vet minimum.
How often did Bud go into coverage? And if he did he played zone. Houston and Olivier would be rotational guys. Makes it a tough sell but in today’s nfl you need a third pass rusher for injury and to spell guys. I doubt either sign as a backup until training camp is well on its way. And I think the Steelers probably want to see highsmith and Roche in pads before signing a veteran and spending that kinda money. But I do feel we have one more edge guy that’s not on the team yet.
Like Nelson I don’t see James coming back. Even less of a shot with Freiermuth on the team. He might not be active on game day if the Steelers only dress 2 TE’s. I really wanted the Steelers to make a move when he was released but unless an injury occurs I think Gentry ends up our 3rd TE.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
They definitely need a Edge rusher capable of playing approximately 25 percent of the snaps. Watt pulls himself off after a certain number of snaps. If They don't have a player capable of that on the Roster (Roche?) they need to bring in a FA.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I thought Vernon blew out his knee. I think lt was next to last game. He probably doesn't even play this season
His Achilles. I didn’t see that and he’s listed as a top 20 free agent left. I suppose he’ll be ready October/November so they figure he’s still worth signing to a playoff contender.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Nelson’s decision should not be about money. At this point the money will be similar wherever he goes. He should base his decision on which situation will make him look the best for next year. That may be the Steelers. He knows the scheme and he’s on a top defense so he is rarely put in impossible situations. (They leave that for the LBs in coverage).

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Jurrell Casey, DT​

that would give us one solid DL rotation. Hayward, Alualu, and Tuitt. Rotate in Loudermilk, Buggs and Casey

Big Ben Rules

Reaction score
That's what it was. I new it was a pretty significant injury.
His Achilles. I didn’t see that and he’s listed as a top 20 free agent left. I suppose he’ll be ready October/November so they figure he’s still worth signing to a playoff contender.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
How often did Bud go into coverage? And if he did he played zone. Houston and Olivier would be rotational guys. Makes it a tough sell but in today’s nfl you need a third pass rusher for injury and to spell guys. I doubt either sign as a backup until training camp is well on its way. And I think the Steelers probably want to see highsmith and Roche in pads before signing a veteran and spending that kinda money. But I do feel we have one more edge guy that’s not on the team yet.
Like Nelson I don’t see James coming back. Even less of a shot with Freiermuth on the team. He might not be active on game day if the Steelers only dress 2 TE’s. I really wanted the Steelers to make a move when he was released but unless an injury occurs I think Gentry ends up our 3rd TE.
Bud did drop into zone coverage, just not as much as TJ. But both of our OLBs did drop on occasion, usually during stunts or zone blitzing involving the DBs…Hilton primarily.

I think Colbert will look for a veteran LB, but maybe not until close to or after camp. That’s when those designated June cuts occur. They couldn’t believe Roche was available when they got him. One of the writers said they thought he had been picked the round before. So maybe they are really high on him. He’s no doubt a much better prospect Odenyi ever was and we’ve kept him on the roster long enough. Marsh, while a journeyman has appeared in 90+ games in his career and started 9 of them, so he’s better than all the Elliotts and Scales IMO.

Jesse coming back, to me, gets closer the longer he stays unsigned. Ebron is gone after this year so knowing he’s at least the #2 in 2022, might be an incentive as for being the #3 this year. Two things, Canada runs a lot of formations with 3 TEs (or big targets like Claypool and JuJu). Second, I personally don’t think Ebron stays healthy the entire season, so whoever is TE3 is going to get a bunch of snaps.

Gentry better make a huge leap to have any shot. He needed a lot of help in the blocking Dept and he is slower than molasse.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
Jesse James and thats about it until we see what we have in our rookies and other guys we signed. There still will be at least 2 more waves of cuts: post june 1st cap cuts and then cutdown day. IF we need to fill holes there should be talent at a better price later.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Next year we have 75 million in cap space out in the league and a 3rd and 5th round comp pick. This team needs a good draft and to spend a lot of money in free agency.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Next year we have 75 million in cap space out in the league and a 3rd and 5th round comp pick. This team needs a good draft and to spend a lot of money in free agency.
They are listed as having a ton of money next year, but it will go extremely fast. TJ’s contract is going to take a HUGE chunk.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Less than half the roster is secured for 2022, keeping in house players will take a good chunk of it

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Less than half the roster is secured for 2022, keeping in house players will take a good chunk of it

Per DK sports, the Steelers have 44 players under contract through 2022. Of course, TJ’s contract extension will drop the available cap space to around $65 mil. But here is the thing, BAL and CLE has to pay their QBs in 2022 which will take up a significant portion of their cap space for the next several years. I think we will be ok. Heck we may have a shot at one of the top 3 QBs even if we make the playoffs (Trade up like in 2019).

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
CB Norman CB Breeland CB/S Sherman Nelson pick 1
OLB Houston RB AP