• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What is the college qb crop like?

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Probably a pipe dream but will be my off-season dream none the less.

Given the apparent disdain Rodgers holds for the state of Wisconsin, there's no way his pompous *** is playing in Pittsburgh.

If he leaves the Packers, it will be with a warm weather or coastal team.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Given the apparent disdain Rodgers holds for the state of Wisconsin, there's no way his pompous *** is playing in Pittsburgh.

He dislikes cold weather? What coastal team were you thinking?

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
He dislikes cold weather? What coastal team were you thinking?

Not really an issue with cold weather.

He is just a smug, affluent west coast type, who has taken some subtle and not so subtle shots at fly over country and its people.

I said I see him playing in warm weather or one of the coast.

New York or Boston are possibilities.

I think he really wants to play at home on the west coast, but all four QB positions are firmly filled between Wilson, Herbert, Stafford and Garropolo/Lance.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Rodgers is engaged to the actress Shaileen Woodley from the Insurgent movies. He probably wants to be out west for her. Both LA teams are set at QB with Herbert and Stafford. San Fran drafted Trey Lance. Arizon set with Murray and Las Vegas now seems locked with Carr who is playing much better.

Denver is the only west team that has an opening. But Rodgers will also want to win. If he's only planning to play 1 or 2 more seasons than he could consider Pittsburgh. Pitt does actually have it's own hollywood connections as several films are shot in the area. Just saw one on Netflix last week with Jason Momoa that was shot in Pittsburgh

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Carson Strong is looking like a real option at our #1. Great arm, size and mechanics, plus he is sneaky athletic.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Carson Strong is looking like a real option at our #1. Great arm, size and mechanics, plus he is sneaky athletic.
He has an absolute cannon of an arm but his highlights are filled with bombs. The kid can spin the ball and drop dimes, but I haven't seen anything that shows him going through progressions and his short/medium route accuracy or reading a defense pre-snap and exploiting defensive looks post snap. I'd like to watch a full game but he belongs to a **** team that doesn't get much national game coverage.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He has an absolute cannon of an arm but his highlights are filled with bombs. The kid can spin the ball and drop dimes, but I haven't seen anything that shows him going through progressions and his short/medium route accuracy or reading a defense pre-snap and exploiting defensive looks post snap. I'd like to watch a full game but he belongs to a **** team that doesn't get much national game coverage.
I definitely see what you're saying concerning his read progression. There's a middle of the field throw in this analysis that clearly shows his outside WR is GONE if he throws it there.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score

What's not to like? Even though he is playing crap teams a lot, his accuracy is spot on. Holds in the pocket well, too.

I see his go through reads. He also hits bullseyes in double coverage, throws outside the coverage, makes sure the receiver is the only guy who can touch the ball, etc.

I like what I see. Now I want to watch him in a game.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
I definitely see what you're saying concerning his read progression. There's a middle of the field throw in this analysis that clearly shows his outside WR is GONE if he throws it there.

Thanks for sharing that. Yeah, he did go through the progressions on that middle throw, and he adjusted his hips and maintained solid footwork as he went through the reads. Pretty impressive. I'd really like to see a couple of full games like DJ said.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Never mind the fact that this class so far isn't doing well.. They say next year's class will be worse.
And I heard that next next years will be horrible also. Didn't you say we should have gotten a QB this past draft? And the season before?

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

I personally think if there is a reason Rogers doesn't play for us it will be because of our OL. Nuff said.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
It's a terrible QB class. Should have taken a QB this past draft, which had QB talent going in the 3rd round with a guy like Davis Mills (Stanford).

Also, remains to be seen how good Kendrick Green is. The concern I have is that the C should not be pushed into the backfield, and he is. Steelers passed on two pretty good centers (Creed Humphrey and Quinn Meinerz) who are power players. Passed on those guys to get Friermuth.
I wouldnā€™t be touting a guy like Davis Mills. Heā€™s ******* wretched. I didnā€™t like him going into the draft and like him less now.

Creed would have been a great second round pick. Freiermuth looks good so hopefully that negates passing on Humphrey. Meinerz doesnā€™t much if any better than Green.

Next year QB class is pretty weak. Guys from liberty top the board so hopefully that tells you something. Personally, I let Rudolph and Haskins fight it out and draft a guy late or poach a guy from a practice squad. I like Sean Clifford from PSU. Had a down year in 2020 dealing with learning a new offense without getting much of any practice time but dealt admirably with that adversity. He has enough arm, good accuracy, and above average athleticism. A practice squad player I like is James Morgan. Personally, feel heā€™s better than Haskins. He is slightly a better athlete with a bigger arm. But has more between the ears. Anyways, you give Rudy a shot then if he fails then you try some other guys.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
go OT or CB rnd 1 and Willis mid.
hell I know talk on fb and twitter is rolling abot A rod but I know Watson if AB beat all his lawsuits Watson too if he hasa great attorney give 2 1st and a future mid for him sign a LT and draft another RG.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I would have traded down in the first the moment Minnesota took the last solid tackleā€¦ that would have given them capital to get quality second round center and still potentially nab muuuthā€¦ though tge way this team drafts itā€™s possible they still would have taken greene higher in the secondā€¦ honestly i kind of wish one of the qbs this year dropped or they gambled on Trask in the secondā€¦ but that only works if they got the ot they really needed in the firstā€¦.

I donā€™t see a solution in the draft this seasonā€¦ you know we will eventually go on a run and finish with a middling recordā€¦ and even if a couple qbs separate from the pack they wonā€™t be there when we draft

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't like the QB class this year. The kid from North Carolina (Sam Howell) is probably the front runner coming out, IMO; but I'm starting to like Malik Willis' game too. Both options should be better than Rudy or Dwayne.

Take a look:

Where does the PITT Panther kid fit into this ?

Salute the nation

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
In October 2003 I had never heard of Ben Roethlisberger and watched 1 game that wasnā€™t particularly special that I could claim to have seen Phillip Rivers.

Maybe let a season play outā€¦.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
No way do I rent Rogers for 2 years, that money can go a LONG WAY to fixing other problems first. I would stand pat with what they have, and make a run at trading for a young QB buried on another team.

fogdoctor

Reaction score
Probably the worst class in 25 years.

Aussie_Steeler

Reaction score
I think they need quite a bit more water and fertiliser before they are harvested - maybe most of them should just be plowed back into the ground. Although I expect someone will pay above market for two or three of them.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Jake Haener from Fresno State might be worth a look. A little undersized at 6'1", but dude is a gamer. If you watched them play UCLA this year, you also know the guy is tough as nails.