• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What should the Steelers do during the off-season and NFL Draft?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
With the news Thursday morning confirming the retirement of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger after 18 years, the Pittsburgh Steelers will have a new man at the helm for the 2022 regular season. What will the 2022 Steelers team even look like? While the Steelers will be selecting 20th overall in the upcoming NFL Draft, what do the Steelers need to address?

The Steelers will need to sure up the offensive line for whoever the quarterback is. They do have some young guys who did very well this past season, including 4th round pick Dan Moore Jr. who I thought had an impressive rookie campaign. For a guy who wasn’t supposed to play much his first year, he was a bright spot on the line. He continued to get better every game he played and I am very excited to see what he does for this team next season.

Dan Moore JR

The Steelers also need to address the secondary. With the Steelers declining Terrell Edmund‘s 5th-year option and expiring contracts for Joe Haden and Ahkello Witherspoon, the secondary is an area that needs to be addressed. I think Edmunds has improved every season since being drafted out of Virginia Tech back in 2018, which is why I am hoping the Steelers re-sign the former 1st round pick. When it comes to Witherspoon and Haden, I believe one of these guys return to the black and gold, but not both. It all depends on the price tag that both of these guys will be looking for in the off-season.

Ahkello Witherspoon

Another spot that needs to be addressed is the wideout position with JuJu Smith-Schuster, Ray-Ray McCloud, and James Washington whom all are set to be free agents this off-season. The Steelers need to bring in another guy to team up with Diontae Johnson and Chase Claypool. Will the Steelers bring back any of the departing guys? I believe McCloud is back after a very solid year for the Steelers, receiving and returning. McCloud finished the season with 39 receptions, 277 yards receiving, averaging 7.1 yards per catch. He also finished with 842 kick return yards, which was good for 4th most in the NFL this season. The interesting question is, do the Steelers bring back JuJu or Washington?

Ray Ray McCloud

Finally, the last and most obvious position the Steelers need to address is quarterback. Shocker, the Steelers need a quarterback after the retirement of Big Ben.

With Mason Rudolph and Dwayne Haskins both looking like they will be on the roster next year, do the Steelers try trading for an Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson? Or do they go with what is on the roster already? Maybe draft the future of the franchise in the upcoming draft with the local kid Kenny Pickett from the University of Pittsburgh?

I am not sure what the Steelers will do, but after watching the playoffs so far this season, the Steelers need to address the situation fast, because the AFC is absolutely loaded with young talented quarterbacks including Patrick Mahomes (Kansas City Chiefs), Josh Allen (Buffalo Bills) and Joe Burrow (Cincinnati Bengals).

Mason Rudolph

What do you think is the most important position for the Steelers to address this off-season? Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

bkwheat28

Reaction score
Line…..both sides, any position along each dependent on value at the time.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Very dependant on what plays out in free agency but BPA at the positions of need. Which appears to be good and plenty.

skline00

Reaction score
After watching Aaron Rodger's performance against the 49's and considering he is 38 (Ben turns 40 in March and is now retired) why do writer's keep mentioning AR as a replacement for Big Ben?

We need a young QB.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
DL, OL, DL with 1st 3 picks. Also, sign a legit starter FA for the OL. The rest fall in behind that. Fix the big uglies and everything else becomes much easier.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Put the best team they can on the field by bulking up both sides of the LOS with quality draft picks and cap room FA's. Lock up Minkah. If they believe they have a championship worthy team (I do not) I guess you could pursue one of the big expensive QB. Otherwise I would say live with Rudolph Haskins competition. Don't bring in someone who will get you two more wins but wouldn't sniff a Lombardi.

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
After watching Aaron Rodger's performance against the 49's and considering he is 38 (Ben turns 40 in March and is now retired) why do writer's keep mentioning AR as a replacement for Big Ben?

We need a young QB.
Maybe one that can shake off tacklers and make a play.....like Ben used to.Where can we find a guy like that...LOL.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
lol Gildong

The last 2 years of Ben got Mason lookin’ fleet afoot

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind seeing a couple years of “new” Steeler football cut the budget and clean house a little bit and see what they can do… are we a team with good defense, running game well oiled machine that year in year out, remember “Tomlin’s never had a losing season” or an overpriced dysfunctional mish mash of overpriced players and coaches riding the back of a HOF qb and 2 legit stars on defense. they are really going to have their hands full in this division, all three teams next year will be a tough outs and I think one of the highest payrolls in football has been hiding a lot of ****** coaching… time for the coaches to show what they can do… maybe they are all that but its time to put up or shut up