• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What the owner of the Washington DC NFL team should do.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I really did not know the history of the word. Yes--its a derogatroy skin color tone word, but its more than that. Did you know this? Taken from Wikipedia?

Some Native American activists in the 21st century, in contradiction of the etymological evidence discussed above, assert that "redskin" refers directly to the bloody, red scalp or other body part collected for bounty.[SUP][33][/SUP][SUP][34][/SUP] While this claim is associated in the media with litigants in the Washington Redskins trademark dispute; Amanda Blackhorse[SUP][35][/SUP] and Suzan Shown Harjo,[SUP][36][/SUP] the NCAI's support indicates that the belief is widespread. Goddard (2005) denies any direct connection to scalping, and says there is a lack of evidence for the claim.[SUP][19][/SUP][SUP]:1[/SUP][SUP][37][/SUP] King (2016) argues that the lack of direct evidence for the assertion does not mean that those making the claim are "wrong to draw an association between a term that empathizes an identity based upon skin color and a history that commodified Native American body parts".[SUP][38]

[/SUP]

The term "red-skin" was, in fact used in conjunction with scalp hunting in the 19th century. In 1863 a Winona, Minnesota, newspaper, the Daily Republican, printed an announcement: "The state reward for dead Indians has been increased to $200 for every red-skin sent to Purgatory. This sum is more than the dead bodies of all the Indians east of the Red River are worth."[SUP][39][/SUP] A news story published by the Atchison Daily Champion in Atchison, Kansas, on October 9, 1885, tells of the settlers' "hunt for redskins, with a view of obtaining their scalps", worth $250.[SUP][40][/SUP] In his early career as the owner of a newspaper in South Dakota, L. Frank Baum wrote an editorial upon the death of Chief Sitting Bull in which he advocates the annihilation of all remaining Redskins in order to secure the safety of white settlers, and because "better that they die than live the miserable wretches that they are."[SUP][41]

[/SUP]

The Redskin Duel, 1914 silent film. The Native American roles were played by Native and Japanese actors.​

When Hollywood westerns were most popular, roughly 1920–1970, the term "redskins" was often used to refer to Native Americans when war was imminent or in progress.[SUP][42][/SUP] In the Washington Redskins trademark dispute, the main issue was the meaning of the term in the period when the trademark registrations were issued, 1967–1990. The linguistic expert for the petitioner, Dr. Geoffrey Nunberg, successfully argued that whatever its origins, "redskins" was a slur at that time based upon passages from books and newspapers and movie clips, in which the word is inevitably associated with contempt, derision, condescension, or sentimental paeans to the noble savage.[SUP][43][/SUP]John McWhorter, an associate professor of linguistics at Columbia University, had compared the evolution of the name into a slur to that of other racial terms such as "Oriental" which also acquired implied meanings associated with contempt.[SUP][44]

^^^ That's just terrible. Does Synder know the origin to this word? Imo, he should re-name the team immediately, issue a public apology for ignorance, set aside a few million dollars a year for Native American Scholarships and offer front office jobs to Native Americans.

[/SUP]

Last edited:

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
MayBe everything will be assigned a number instead of a name. Have it imprinted and we all carry around readers so we can identify anything we come across, including people. Imagine you being able to pick what you identify as in your chip identification.

EDIT: foreskin, that's a good one

Salute the nation

Booted

Less-known member
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Redskin was never meant to be derogatory. Sports teams pick their names to project power and/or pride. They pick a name to unite an entire city or state, something everyone could get behind and support. And guess what? Before everyone got so sensitive, the Indian people may have been proud to support the team and some probably didn't give a **** one way or the other. I don't believe The Washington Redskins picked their name to ridicule an entire race of people. If that were the case, we would see more teams named likewise. The New York Kikes , The Buffalo Wops or The Houston Wetbacks....yeah that sounds like some real money makers. What owner wouldn't want to have a racist named team? Geeese.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

steelermania

Reaction score
Ignorance on what the word means?

Of course some people inside of a group will use the slur to describe themselves. Though many black people hate it, there is no shortage of black people that use the N-word to describe themselves. I know Italians who call each other D-g-s as well. Could be a similar thing at work. Of all the controversy about this, I really only found two cases where the critics really had a point. One was Chief Wahoo, who was definitely not a complimentary caricature of an Indian, and the other was Redskin, which I always figured was a slur, from watching westerns as a kid, as it was never uttered in anything other than a negative fashion.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
so your theory is that native americans are real dumb. They never heard it before and are just totally unaware. Hilarious

That's because we don't want to be racist.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
so your theory is that native americans are real dumb. They never heard it before and are just totally unaware. Hilarious
You should probably give them back all their stuff

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
Can we just stop already, I'm woke enough for this year and probably into next.

tenor.gif

Hoot

Contributor
Reaction score
Can we just stop already, I'm woke enough for this year and probably into next.

sorry, but gonna woke everyone up a bit more. Seeing comments like this in several articles today:

FedEx formally requested the Redskins to change their name. FedEx is a corporate sponsor of the Redskins and the NFL. Nike would later remove Redskins gear from its online store and Pepsi would follow suit and ask the team to change its name as well.

Big money walking out the door. Name will change.
Ray Rice wasn't about Women's Right. Revenue was.
Punishing cheating isn't important. Revenue is.
Fixing social issues isn't the point. Revenue is.
Its the revenue.
now you woke.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
FedEx can't do ****. They were named Redskins when they signed the deal, so there's no way they can get out of it. At least not without paying.

Nike removing them from their store? Big deal. Plenty of other places to buy gear that don't support China. I wish the NFL would ditch Nike or at least demand all NFL products be made in America.

Pepsi, i believe, has an overall deal with the NFL so they don't have much to say either.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Tape, you may be right initially but Alls it take is a little motion and like so many other businesses / people, but not of this magnitude, you get the agitator machine rolling and ............... Destroy destroy destroy, right or wrong.

I thought I read a recent article that the REDSKINS ownership is looking into name change or the possibility of it. (Not saying it will happen but)

This tearing down statues / re-naming things / deleting history doesn't work. It takes all of our past to make us what we are today and I happen to think it's the GREATEST country on earth. YES we need a tweak here and there but NOT a total overhaul.

NO matter how much re-naming / cancelling / de-funding / ect. Occurs nothing will change until the core root problem is addressed. Racism will always be a part of society and I can attest to that. MANY blame racism for their shortfall when in reality it's how you handle said racism. We all have obstacles and it's how we attach them as to how the outcome will be.

Grab your boot / sneaker / loose skin strap and pull e'M up, QUIT blaming everybody else and make your way in life because no one else is going to for you. Be accountable and responsible for you and for those you bring into the world and this country will be better for it.

Football

Salute the nation

Hoot

Contributor
Reaction score
FedEx can't do ****. They were named Redskins when they signed the deal, so there's no way they can get out of it. At least not without paying.

Nike removing them from their store? Big deal. Plenty of other places to buy gear that don't support China. I wish the NFL would ditch Nike or at least demand all NFL products be made in America.

Pepsi, i believe, has an overall deal with the NFL so they don't have much to say either.

there is always a away out of a contract (and even if there is a cost, they may be willing to pay). I deal with them day in and day out - there is always a way out. but, whatever, you believe what you want because they don't need a material breech term triggered, just the press.

Last edited:

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score

I work with the Washington PepsiCo contract. They do have a Pepsi Zero Sugar as the official drink of the NFL, but each team has pouring rights and snack rights for the stadium. Currently with PepsiCo and Washington, Pepsi has pouring rights, Aquafina is the water, and Frito Lay has the chip rights. So now you lose 3 sponsors instead of 1 if they pull out. (Side note Ravens have Frito Lay and Steelers have Pepsi/Aquafina for their stadiums).

Losing sponsors is a pretty big deal, because if PepsiCo pulls out, who wants to fill that spot with bad press? Surely not Coke since they wouldn't want the bad publicity, and also the red cans would be an easy target to associate their choice to associate with the Redskins.

Personally, the only way to keep their name is to change the mascot to a potato...

Here's an article that my friend shared. He's part Native American and a huge washington fan, and also doesn't have trouble with the name. Here's what he had to say:
This is a very interesting recap of the history of the name, especially the logo itself, which is a portrait of an actual person.

“The logo itself depicts a Blackfeet Chief, John “Two Guns” White Calf, who also appeared on the Buffalo nickel.

“When I look at the logo, I mostly think of my dad because he was a person who found pride in the Redskins logo, of having our people in the spotlight, and being represented by a big-time professional team,” Lance Wetzel said. “Back in that time frame, there wasn’t a whole lot of positives about Native Americans. To look at that helmet and see the representation there, I see a whole lot of pride.”

And here is the link to the article. It mentioned the scalping as a side note, but it's not the reason why it was initially named:
https://www.hogshaven.com/2020/7/2/...TP_HlhGT3JHoSu5cYRvrTFEXXYhz_ykgxUAiMr308ZwmQ

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I work with the Washington PepsiCo contract. They do have a Pepsi Zero Sugar as the official drink of the NFL, but each team has pouring rights and snack rights for the stadium. Currently with PepsiCo and Washington, Pepsi has pouring rights, Aquafina is the water, and Frito Lay has the chip rights. So now you lose 3 sponsors instead of 1 if they pull out. (Side note Ravens have Frito Lay and Steelers have Pepsi/Aquafina for their stadiums).

Losing sponsors is a pretty big deal, because if PepsiCo pulls out, who wants to fill that spot with bad press? Surely not Coke since they wouldn't want the bad publicity, and also the red cans would be an easy target to associate their choice to associate with the Redskins.

Personally, the only way to keep their name is to change the mascot to a potato...

Here's an article that my friend shared. He's part Native American and a huge washington fan, and also doesn't have trouble with the name. Here's what he had to say:

And here is the link to the article. It mentioned the scalping as a side note, but it's not the reason why it was initially named:
https://www.hogshaven.com/2020/7/2/...TP_HlhGT3JHoSu5cYRvrTFEXXYhz_ykgxUAiMr308ZwmQ

YET many fall for the AGITATORs word. Sensible people know better but the dumb masses follow media driven agitator lead.

They were never named in a derogatory meaning, plain and simple.

EDIT: I'm talking people in general and the BLM type agitators. Like Cope said and as I myself have several Native friends and they are OK with the name.

Salute the nation

Last edited:

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't find the logo offensive at all...but the name comes from a different time and I do think changing it is worth a look.