• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What the owner of the Washington DC NFL team should do.

stevielee

Reaction score
I'm sticking with the Thinskins, as far as the logo they can use the picture of that crazy ***** screaming at the sky when Trump won the election.

Sent from my VS988 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So Amazon will stop selling Washington Redskins merchandise, but continue to sell Blue Lives Murder shirts. **** 'em.

Right, and sell ****** shoes made by slave labor in China.

Murder-supporting racist group? Check.
Products made by ACTUAL slaves? Check.
Name that offends some soccer mom and "two dads"? Game on, *****.

Booted

Less-known member
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The Washington Savages. Only a savage would be offended.

Gridiron

Banned
Reaction score
Two best names I have heard

Washington Gridlock

Washington Filibusters

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Washington Rough Riders

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

xjx

Reaction score
D.C. tax thieves

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
Warriors - when your SPF wasn't sufficient and now you got to go and kill some *************.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Washington Warriors

Washington Renegades

Change the logo

Could go with Washington Red Tape. Logo would be a roll of red electrical tape or red duct tape

It would have to be type writer ribbon.................... to get the real feel

Salute the nation

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
No matter what Dan Snyder ultimately decides, he'll be all right...the guy's worth $2.6 billion. Though it's looking like he will finally cave.

It's a striking example of how far a small minority of cancel culture propagandists have come in a relatively short period of time...in 2013, FedEx shareholders overwhelmingly voted against a proposal to revisit company ties to the Redskins and the naming rights for the team.

At the end of the day, similar to tearing down the statues of our founding fathers, changing the name and mascot of the Washington Redskins will ultimately accomplish very little. It's just another tiny step towards eventually making this country unrecognizable from the one in which many of us grew up.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
I really did not know the history of the word. Yes--its a derogatroy skin color tone word, but its more than that. Did you know this? Taken from Wikipedia?

So the new normal also apparently includes using Wikipedia as a Depository of Fact Based research? Somebody tell Coach, anyone...ANYONE can add topic information to Wikipedia.

Next time use authentic data sources.......for fact based statements..

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
So the new normal also apparently includes using Wikipedia as a Depository of Fact Based research? Somebody tell Coach, anyone...ANYONE can add topic information to Wikipedia.

Next time use authentic data sources.......for fact based statements..

What's this? Are you saying the term of the works is not offensive?

redskin

[ red-skin ]<button class="pron-ipa-button css-76dfe5 evh0tcl3" style="font-family: inherit; font-size: 14px; line-height: 14px; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; text-transform: uppercase; background-color: transparent; border: 0px; color: rgb(14, 90, 182); cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; height: 14px; outline: none; padding: 0px; vertical-align: super;">SHOW IPA</button>

<section class="css-pnw38j e1hk9ate0" style="box-sizing: border-box;">noun Older Slang: Disparaging and Offensive.

a contemptuous term used to refer to a North American Indian.

</section>

Yes, A 'Redskin' Does, In Fact, Mean the Scalped Head of a Native American, Sold, Like a Pelt, for Cash

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a29318/redskin-name-update/

Let know how many more you need.

Ike, Im shocked you take such a house position.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
people have been pushing the redskins is a slur angle for decades. Yes, many woke place will now write that it is and always has been a slur. Problem is that actual native American. don't see it that way. They have been pushing it relentlessly for years so maybe that is starting to change now, but even as recently as just 5 or so years ago, polls of actual Native Americans, said that most did not see it as a slur. Most actually liked it.

It is also very clear that the way the Redskins use the name is meant to be a positive. The Indian imagery is respectful.

It is similar to the now banned Gator Chomp. There is no way in hell that anybody has done that chop with any racist intent but somebody found an old cartoon and now that erases everything.

Please answer me why somebody would knowingly name their team with a racial slur? The point of a team name is to be about pride. It is symbol to rally around.

If you want to argue that TODAY, most people see it as a slur, then that could be true, but that doesn't mean it was always true. It's just revisionist history.

I expect Snyder will change the name, not because it's racist but because like most businesses he wants to attract millennial customers and i'm sure he's been told by marketing people that he must change the name to appeal to them.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Is the league gonna get rid of the COWBOYS as well ?:offended:

Here in Wyoming, the university mascot is "The Cowboys." Last year the university launched a recruitment campaign saying "The World needs more Cowboys." The hippies there tried to make it a racist thing and get it cancelled, but it failed.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I believe the origin of the name Redskin being a scalp taken for bounty is very much open for debate. But I just don't see how Redskin can be seen as anything other than a ****** 1930 term that really has no place today other than "tradition". I mean watch a western. The Redskins are coming. Then a fight emerges and the hero slays the Redskins. Teams like Chiefs, Blackhawks, Braves. Ok. Indians and Redskins. Cmon. Place any old race designating term. Not gonna happen.
The Alabama Peckerwoods.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Here in Wyoming, the university mascot is "The Cowboys." Last year the university launched a recruitment campaign saying "The World needs more Cowboys." The hippies there tried to make it a racist thing and get it cancelled, but it failed.

as long as you are not talking about Dallas cowboys...i can support that message

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
[I am half indian. I do not find the term offense. Why would you call yourself something you are not proud of

I say put it to a vote with the Indi, err, Native Americans. Need to be at least 50% though so Elizabeth Warren is out.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
What's this? Are you saying the term of the works is not offensive?

redskin

[ red-skin ]SHOW IPA

noun Older Slang: Disparaging and Offensive.

a contemptuous term used to refer to a North American Indian.

Yes, A 'Redskin' Does, In Fact, Mean the Scalped Head of a Native American, Sold, Like a Pelt, for Cash

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a29318/redskin-name-update/

Let know how many more you need.

Ike, Im shocked you take such a house position.

No Dumb ***, using Wikipedia as a source for any statement is the antithesis of fact check.

The term itself is a derogatory for a period of generations. The original owner, G. Preston Marshall himself of that generation was an admitted bigot and was well aware of the name connotation. It is said in some circles he was the last owner to desegregate his team as well. So, depending on the individual the term is racist. The latest generation only knows it’s offensive because society now, rightfully so, deems it to be. Not because they think it is.

Regardless, your education probably didn’t include the need of fact checking before opening your pie hole. So please don’t drag the rest of us board readers down your hell of ignorance.

Also, don’t politicize my statements when they are not political. Coolie ought to ban you again just for trying to back door another non-football agenda. Dumb ***.

Last edited: