• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

When to throw the red flag

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
The Steelers are 0-7 on their 7 challenges. If you want to go further back the Steelers are just 2 of the last 12. That's a 16.6% success rate.

Watching it on TV, you can tell ( or at least I can ) at least 50% of the time when a challenge will be over turned. So why does our challenge percentage suck? Who really okays the red flag? Is it Tomlin? If not who?

In the past I have suggested the Steelers hire a recently retired NFL official, as that person probably has a better idea as to what will be over turned.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Lot of OPs posts seem challenged

or is that not the subject?

:th_balls:

LeXX75

Contributor
Reaction score
Can't get a clear view thru the shades

steelhurt

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out the one thing he excels at.So I'm listening to Stan Savaran this morning talking to one of the Browns beat writers and I thought his opinion of Coach Huey was interesting. He said he was ok with the hire of Huey based on who the team interviewed but that there ere better candidates out there that were not even considered. Anyway the thing that caught my attention was when he said Coach Huey has poor game preparation and game management and doesn't like his overall attitude. Hmm! Sounds like someone else we know.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out the one thing he excels at.So I'm listening to Stan Savaran this morning talking to one of the Browns beat writers and I thought his opinion of Coach Huey was interesting. He said he was ok with the hire of Huey based on who the team interviewed but that there ere better candidates out there that were not even considered. Anyway the thing that caught my attention was when he said Coach Huey has poor game preparation and game management and doesn't like his overall attitude. Hmm! Sounds like someone else we know.

Winning. He's good at winning.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Winning. He's good at winning.

Don’t give him too much credit Cope. I think having Ben has gone a long way in helping Tomlin, but to be fair he has won regular season games not disputing that.
But and there’s always a but, he hasn’t been able to take us to that next level of getting to and winning a SB since 2008. We all know that team had mostly players he inherited and two pretty damn good coordinators but this has been his team of his own making (minus Ben) for the last 6-8 years since all those players are long gone. Do you honestly see him leading this team to s seventh trophy? He was suppose to be a defensive wiz but curiously that has not transcended to Pittsburgh. I’m not convinced with the team he’s built that he will take the team to the next level. Too many shortcomings on his part.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Aww, I guess pointing out the obvious and backing it up with facts upsets our Black & Gold Bleeder. The Steelers suck at challenges lately, and that's on Mr. Cool Shady.

I made a suggestion on how address the problem.

Once again the Steelers are 2 of the last 12. That's a 16.6% success rate. Terrible, and a bad way to spend a time out.

mr peeples

Banned
Reaction score
Aww, I guess pointing out the obvious and backing it up with facts upsets our Black & Gold Bleeder. The Steelers suck at challenges lately, and that's on Mr. Cool Shady.

I made a suggestion on how address the problem.

Once again the Steelers are 2 of the last 12. That's a 16.6% success rate. Terrible, and a bad way to spend a time out.

It's not complicated. The root cause of the problem is MT is not very bright.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
It's not complicated. The root cause of the problem is MT is not very bright.

giphy.gif

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
When it matters and when you are right. I will say this. Defense is a crap shoot. You have about 10-15 seconds to look at it. Maybe one really good look. Offense on the other hand is a different animal. There is never an excuse for that. if it takes you too long take the delay of game or a timeout. but be correct.

oicu8ad

Reaction score

Mike Tomlin is great at public relations, interviews, motivation, and I'd say administrative bullshit.
He is weak at talent evaluation, in game adjustments, clock management, challenges, and game preparation.

He would make a great PR guy, because he can spew some bullshit.

mr peeples

Banned
Reaction score
Mike Tomlin is great at public relations, interviews, motivation, and I'd say administrative bullshit.
He is weak at talent evaluation, in game adjustments, clock management, challenges, and game preparation.

He would make a great PR guy, because he can spew some bullshit.

None of the things he's good at matter very much in being a head coach. Noll and Belichick were terrible at PR and don't believe you need to motivate pro players. I wonder if they are
better coaches than is the Cool Shades?

oicu8ad

Reaction score
None of the things he's good at matter very much in being a head coach. Noll and Belichick were terrible at PR and don't believe you need to motivate pro players. I wonder if they are better coaches than is the Cool Shades?

Yes, as I said, he should be a PR guy, not a head coach.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
None of the things he's good at matter very much in being a head coach. Noll and Belichick were terrible at PR and don't believe you need to motivate pro players. I wonder if they are

giphy.gif

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

Please, Noll would have punked your favorite coach back to playing Lacrosse. Don’t even try to put Belichick in Chaz’s class.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
That percentage is terrible. You'd think just by odds the Steelers would have a better success rate on challenges. Tomlin has seemed to throw the flag on a lot of spot plays, which are rarely overturned, so that could lead to part of the problem.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Don’t give him too much credit Cope. I think having Ben has gone a long way in helping Tomlin, but to be fair he has won regular season games not disputing that.
But and there’s always a but, he hasn’t been able to take us to that next level of getting to and winning a SB since 2008. We all know that team had mostly players he inherited and two pretty damn good coordinators but this has been his team of his own making (minus Ben) for the last 6-8 years since all those players are long gone. Do you honestly see him leading this team to s seventh trophy? He was suppose to be a defensive wiz but curiously that has not transcended to Pittsburgh. I’m not convinced with the team he’s built that he will take the team to the next level. Too many shortcomings on his part.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

The inherited players argument is weak. you have to coach the players you have, and if that was the case of only winning with inherited players, he should have a losing record by now.

Also all great coaches are linked to a great QB. Every. Single. One. It's a unicorn to have a great coach linked to 2. Only Walsh with Montana and Young. Read the list of SB winners, and all time coaching wins, and it's linked to a QB-Coach tandem Every. Single. Time.

Steeler

Contributor
Reaction score
I would also like to know who the hell is telling him when to challenge. If it's just him, then he's a bigger moron than I thought. Just have someone sit in the booth and watch the damn live feed. It's not that difficult. I'll do it for free. Just pay my travel expenses!