• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Where does James Washington fall into the mix in 2021?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Last season for the Pittsburgh Steelers was a year of building relationships. There were a lot of new faces making an appearance with this offensive group for the first time in their young careers. You pair that with getting a fully healthy Ben Roethlisberger back into the mix and those relationships are just bound to form, and form quickly. That exact sort of bond is what we saw starting to build throughout all of last season, especially between Roethlisberger and his receiving core — something we all hope will continue into next season.

Although strong connections were built all of last season with many players, there were still some names that did not get much attention. JuJu Smith-Schuster is a name that had already been established as a vital player, not only to this football team but to Roethlisberger, which goes a long way. Rookie Chase Claypool and 2nd year veteran Diontae Johnson were both two names that made their mark on this team in more ways than one. Claypool made his mark on this offense quickly with a big catch in his first game of his NFL career and continuing on being in the right place at the right time, gaining his future Hall of Fame quarterback’s trust as the season went on. While Johnson still did have a solid season, it took him a bit longer than most to get comfortable with Roethlisberger behind center. Johnson’s first season in the NFL was with backup quarterback Mason Rudolph instead of with what would have been his starting QB and as you can imagine, it was a bit of struggle to start to find consistency.

That struggle was something that ended up carrying into the first half of last season for Johnson. In 2020, Johnson struggled to physically bring the ball in. Targets were not an issue, we saw Roethlisberger go in Johnson’s direction on multiple occasions, even when he was struggling. It was sort of like Roethlisberger wanted Johnson to know that he didn’t lose faith in him, that he trusted him. That trust, with time, eventually translated into results, which was the plan exactly.

A name that might have gotten lost in all of the chaos of the wide receiver position is the name James Washington. Although the results were not there in 2020, there were multiple occasions where Roethlisberger was vocal about giving Washington the ball more, wanting the offense to trust him in key situations just like Roethlisberger does himself. He has been consistent when on the field, but that has been exactly the problem — getting that opportunity on the field. With Claypool’s emergence last season, Washington struggled to find the field especially over Smith-Schuster and Johnson each. It will be interesting to me to see if Washington will get some significant playing time this season, especially after his quarterback having his back and vocalizing his trust in him.

The wide receiver position is one that this team has an influx of. It’s not a bad problem to have. Anytime you can say you are more than comfortable with anyone we throw out there at that position, confidence must be at an all time high. No matter who Roethlisberger is throwing the ball to this season, it is safe to say that results will come. Where my eyes will be this season is where Washington falls into the mix. In my opinion, Johnson and Claypool will be the primary outside targets with Smith-Schuster manning the slot position. The good thing about Washington is that he is versatile at both the outside and inside positions, giving him an opportunity to showcase what he can do at many positions. Now the only questions that arise are will he see the field more in 2021?

Would you like to see the Steelers feed Washington the ball more? Comment below.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

xjx

Reaction score
He will be traded to Houston during the preseason.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Good question.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Washington's fate is that of Depth. Do the STEELERS decide he is more valued at depth or trade bait ? It's nice to be able to have a player of his caliber, could be a starter on multiple other teams but is sitting here. On any given play he could become a starter here but that can be said for several depth players. One thing about him was he had sure hands and that was exemplafied by watching other WRs drops.

Salute the nation

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I really like Washington. (Those who ever read my crap know that I stump for him often.)
(note, the following is based on my opinion. I am NOT a future hall of fame prospect.)
His first year was a little disappointing. He had a couple GREAT plays but then kinda disappeared. Year 2, he was better but still not star material. But by year 3, he was beginning to establish himself as a reliable sneaky good guy. Last year, he did nothing but make plays when given opportunities.

As I see it, the problem is, he's hard to fit into the scheme. A, he's kind of a "slow" burner. They often try to use him on deeps and posts, and he is fast, but not elite fast. He makes up for some of that with his ability and willingness to launch and combat catch, but against top tier DBs, he's simply not an easy throw. He has gone over the middle and he's even shown on one occasion at least that he's willing and able to go beast mode to fight for an extra yard or two over the middle, but he's a bit small and I think he tends to get jostled around a bit off the line to be really effective in the middle.

I've never seen or read that he's a truly exacting route runner. He does have good hands (Looking DIRECTLY at you Mr. Johnson) but I think he's in a situation where other people's potential looks a bit more appealing that Washington's actual ceiling performance.

Which is sad. Cause I love the guy. If he does end up somewhere else, I hope he finds a GREAT fit and has a HUGE career. He's a guy I'd be happy seeing win a championship (as long as the Steelers weren't in a position to win it instead, of course.)

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
I could see Washington staying around this year, JuJu is an unknown for next year. With Watt and Fitz most likely getting paid, I can't see JuJu settling again like he did this year. Then again, all depends on how he does and if Chace and DH make larger strides.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Washington has improved every year even with limited playing time. He was very reliable when used last year and made some big catches. I definitely think he has a roster spot this year and will be offered something next year since JuJu is probably going to go for the money when Ben retires.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I like Washington and want to see him do well, but at this point he is just a guy. Everyone ahead of him brings something very good to the table.

JuJu is one of the top slot receivers in the league. Claypool showed he could be a deep threat and few receivers in the league can match his size, especially once he learned to play using his length and strength. Johnson has shaky hands, but he is excellent at creating separation. There's a reason those guys are the top three.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They are the top 3 for sure but Washington is definitely number 4 and if one of those top 3 gets injured, he steps in nicely. And, he may be in the top 3 next year if JuJu leaves. He's not going anywhere, at least not this year. They'd be crazy to cut him with no one else even close that we've seen on the roster. Two WR's would have to jump way up in the preseason and have major special teams ability to bump him off the roster.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone ahead of him brings something very good to the table.
Johnson is on a very short leash from my perspective. I think he makes Dwight Stone look like a guy with flypaper for hands.
JuJu is a great character guy and he'll make some Hines Ward type tough catches, but honestly, he hasn't looked like a serious threat since AB left.
Chase has every shot at being a superstar if he can stay focused and work.

While I agree, all three of those guys have potential that is extremely attractive, if you look at the stats, James Washington is right up there with JuJu in terms of reliability. And honestly... I like me some reliability.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Johnson is on a very short leash from my perspective. I think he makes Dwight Stone look like a guy with flypaper for hands.
JuJu is a great character guy and he'll make some Hines Ward type tough catches, but honestly, he hasn't looked like a serious threat since AB left.
Chase has every shot at being a superstar if he can stay focused and work.

While I agree, all three of those guys have potential that is extremely attractive, if you look at the stats, James Washington is right up there with JuJu in terms of reliability. And honestly... I like me some reliability.
I just haven't seen it from Washington. Johnson couldn't catch a cold last year and still had an insane 144 targets. Washington, who's supposedly dependable could only manage 56. The QB doesn't have Johnson on a short leash.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I would put our top 4 up against pretty much any team. Then add in Ebron, Freirmuth and Najee and that is one ridiculous O to try and defend. Claypool was awesome as a rookie last year. He was uncoverable unless they held him or interfered with him. I expect big things from him this year. As I said a few times before, if the OL can keep Ben mostly upright and create some room for Najee to run, this O is going to be fun to watch and Ben will be licking his chops. They don't need to be great, just above average.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I just haven't seen it from Washington. Johnson couldn't catch a cold last year and still had an insane 144 targets. Washington, who's supposedly dependable could only manage 56. The QB doesn't have Johnson on a short leash.
why do players have to be pitted against each other with stats. Washington had 30 catches on his targets which were frequently deep. He scored 5 TDs. He is a great 4th and that is a great thing to have. He doesn't need a ton of opportunities to produce, he doesn't *****. Alot of other players sink with their limited opportunities. The ball can only go around so much.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If I was putting a team together, I would much rather have players like Washington, then someone like Johnson. Now don’t get me wrong, if Johnson stops dropping passes every game, week in and week out, I change my position. I just believe in taking performance over potential, every day and twice on Sunday. Right now Johnson is getting the larger opportunity based on potential.

Remember all the players brought in with “potential” to replace Hines Ward?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If I was putting a team together, I would much rather have players like Washington, then someone like Johnson. Now don’t get me wrong, if Johnson stops dropping passes every game, week in and week out, I change my position. I just believe in taking performance over potential, every day and twice on Sunday. Right now Johnson is getting the larger opportunity based on potential.

Remember all the players brought in with “potential” to replace Hines Ward?

In the first 1/2-ish of the season DJ definately had dropsies.

In the second 1/2 of the season his drops lessened dramaticly. I'd take Deonte Johnson over Washington everyday including sunday and I really like Washington.

DJ's as well as the rest of the gang's drops will be dramatically less this upcoming season and then all you have to do is scroll back to this page to see who told you first.!!!

All good

Salute the nation

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, DJ catching the ball brings more to the table. JW‘s reliable hands are better than DJ maybe catching the ball.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Washington though reliable still was a reach in that draft, not his fault but getting a darn good 4th WR or regular #3 out of a 2nd rounder is a bad investment

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Washington though reliable still was a reach in that draft, not his fault but getting a darn good 4th WR or regular #3 out of a 2nd rounder is a bad investment
Better than busting out. 🤓