• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Who Turned Out To Be The Worst Draft Pick In Steelers History?

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Edwards hurt because Cowher wanted Freak.

We might have won a SB on D with him added to the mix.
I remember that. Damn. Imagine Jevon Kearse, Joey Porter tandem

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I think Jamain Stephens has to be the worst, Troy Edwards second, Uncle Jarvis third, Huey Richardson fourth, and Darryl Sims fifth.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
What about the CB who never played at all in the 2-3 years with the team, Golsten?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Bush and Edmunds and burns aren't on this list, only because Tomlin never gets rid of his busts before their contracts are up.. he really believes in that pass it on thing.

Oh let's not forget Ziggy hood
Hood wasn't terrible but he wasn't a good fit for our 3-4. He was better as a DT in a four-man line and not a DE in a three-man line.

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
I think Jamain Stephens has to be the worst, Troy Edwards second, Uncle Jarvis third, Huey Richardson fourth, and Darryl Sims fifth.
I still think Tim Worley has to be in the top five, if not the top. 7th overall pick in the draft.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, Malone played WR because the Steelers had Bradshaw at QB, set a Steelers record with a 90-yard TD reception, and was going to be a good QB before the knee injury. The injury was pre-arthroscopy and ACL transplant surgeries so he was never the same after.

But as USAF mentions, he had some good games. I still remember that 1984 playoff game against the Broncos in Denver - hardest hitting playoff game I ever saw until the Steelers-Ravens in 2008.

Ahhhhhh the days of hitting, something lost in todays entertainment game. I remeber those games as well, players came to play !!!

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Jamane Stevens as when we drafted him we needed OL. He never showed anything and like others have said, couldn't pass the "wind" test. Players even went out to try and encourage / help him finish but he sat his lard asZ down and gave up. Cowher cut him.

Salute the nation

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I was pulling for Limas. Guy could get open but not catch. Definitely seemed to be mental as he didn't have trouble in school. I was young for malone, but not sure he was a total bust.

NYSteel

Reaction score
This list is pretty accurate. Richardson is the worst in my book.

Let's not forget Daryl Sims..... He's number 2 on my list.

I almost smashed my TV when they announced the Troy Edward's pick with Jevon Kearse sitting there... Which at that spot, was a miracle he was still available. I was jumping for joy when our pick came because it felt like such a no-brainer.....

steelcan58

Reaction score
This list is pretty accurate. Richardson is the worst in my book.

Let's not forget Daryl Sims..... He's number 2 on my list.

I almost smashed my TV when they announced the Troy Edward's pick with Jevon Kearse sitting there... Which at that spot, was a miracle he was still available. I was jumping for joy when our pick came because it felt like such a no-brainer.....
The Troy Edwards pick really bothers me to this day. We needed a WR badly especially since Hines wasn't Hines yet. But Troy was such a reach. Small and not fast.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
The Troy Edwards pick really bothers me to this day. We needed a WR badly especially since Hines wasn't Hines yet. But Troy was such a reach. Small and not fast.
yeah hines i think is what made Troy Edwards expendable. But hey,, Edwards was the Billitnikoff winner in college. It wasnt like he was dog **** in college.

steelcan58

Reaction score
yeah hines i think is what made Troy Edwards expendable. But hey,, Edwards was the Billitnikoff winner in college. It wasnt like he was dog **** in college
In college Troy's speed and size must have been enough to succeed against players of college calibre. Unfortunately his tools didn't translate against better athletes at the pro level. That's something scouting should pick up on.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Wasn't the Edmunds pick the one Donahoe had ready pretty much within 10 seconds of the clock starting for the Steelers?

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
In college Troy's speed and size must have been enough to succeed against players of college calibre. Unfortunately his tools didn't translate against better athletes at the pro level. That's something scouting should pick up on.
A lot of people **** on the combine but its really a combination of film and athletic ability. Though I still rather they did drills and ran in equipment.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
First off, second round picks dont count... there are a pretty high level of busts in the second round as is

Here is a list of first rounders back to 88 that would qualify as busts... nobody on the roster now counts because they could still work out. disappointments like mendenhall still had decent contributions so they dont count either

so 4 from the end of the noll era, 2 during cowhers tenure, and three for Tomlin
1988- 1st Round #18 Aaron Jones - DE
1989- 1st Round #7 Tim Worley - RB
1989- 1st Round #24 Tom Ricketts - OT
1991- 1st Round #15 Huey Richardson - DE
1996- 1st Round #29 Jamain Stephens - OT
1999- 1st Round #13 Troy Edwards - WR
2009- 1st Round #32 Evander Hood - DT
2013- 1st Round #17 Jarvis Jones - LB
2016- 1st Round #25 Artie Burns - CB
Ziggy had a 10 year career. I would take him off the list. We tried putting a round peg into a square slot. Not his fault.