• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Who was

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
the NFL Combine darling?

every year there is one/two/three guys who elevate their stock based on how they answer questions and run around in shorts. Just figured we could watch that guy and see who drafts him.

I

Idioteque

Probably Donte Moncrief. Check this out:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46395/349/donte-moncrief-metric-allstar

After trying several different combinations, I finally arrived at a metric I am calling the Adjusted Explosiveness Index. This Index takes the same three numbers, vertical, broad and 40 time, but adds height measured in inches and weight to the vertical and broad before dividing out the 40.

The results were stunning.

Calvin Johnson 114.37
Vincent Jackson 108.97
Stephen Hill 108.29
Julio Jones 107.95
Andre Johnson 107.71

Unsurprisingly, Calvin Johnson was far and away the high scorer on this metric.

More importantly, of the five players who have scored better than 107 in this metric since 1999, four are Pro Bowlers, two are almost certainly on their way to the Hall of Fame, and Julio Jones could make it three if he continues his current pace.

Even Stephen Hill has a shot to be a solid NFL wide receiver. He has certainly shown flashes of big-time ability, and one can only imagine what type of wide receiver he could become in a competent offense with a competent quarterback.

A player scoring above a 107 in this metric seems to signal a highly elevated chance at NFL success. Donte Moncrief did not quite reach that plateau, but his 106.02 is the ninth highest score since 1999. Of the three other players that have cracked the 106 mark, Chris Chambers was a Pro Bowler, Tyrone Calico was a player I always loved, and Mark Harrison missed his rookie 2013 campaign with a foot injury.

More importantly, Moncrief scored a full three points better than any other player in the 2014 wide receiver class.

Steel Ballin

Reaction score
Aaron Donald, although he didn't come out of nowhere. Apparently he blew-up the Senior Bowl and then the Combine was his next victim. lol