• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Who’s starting? A quick look at the Steelers QB possibilities heading into 2021

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Before the 2021 season officially begins, there are a couple of questions and possibilities that are apparent when it comes to who is going to lead the Pittsburgh Steelers as the franchise heads into their 89th season.

The Steelers return veterans Mason Rudolph, and Joshua Dobbs, and signed former first round pick Dwayne Haskins. Haskins of course wore out his welcome in Washington after a season and a half. So the question remains, who will the QB be?

Many are under the belief that Ben Roethlisberger will be the starter for the entire season and there is absolutely some truth to that statement. The question still remains: Is there an argument to be made that the Steelers could be in a better position to succeed if they turn their starting quarterback position over to another player on the roster?

To start off, let’s examine the argument for Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger of course led the Steelers to a 12 win season before it ended in a loss at home to Cleveland in the Wild Card round of the playoffs. Some critics said it was time to hang them up following the disappointing loss. Well 3,800 passing yards, 33 touchdowns and 10 interceptions later, after coming off of an elbow surgery, the quarterback made a statement that he may not be done yet.

To put these numbers into proper context, the Steelers ranked last in the NFL in rushing in 2020, which forced the veteran quarterback to throw over 600 passes. Roethlisberger will be 39-years-old when the Steelers open the season, and even less mobile and athletic than he has been in years past. At this point, there might be some offensive linemen on the roster who could beat Big Ben’s current 40-yard-dash time. But the team has reinvested in the running game, and that should help take the pressure off Roethlisberger. He also has plenty of weapons to get the ball to when he does pass.

Besides Roethlisberger, the big quarterback acquisition for the Steelers this off-season was Haskins. After signing a one-year, $850,000 contract, Haskins immediately became the second quarterback listed on the depth chart in many people’s minds.

So is he going to start?

There’s a very small chance Haskins gets to start in the first game on the road against the Buffalo Bills as long as Roethlisberger is still in uniform. With the NFL having three preseason games, Haskins may have the opportunity to put together some performances that may garner some interest from fans and the front office. It is a possibility that the 24-year-old could start if the organization wants to make him the successor to Roethlisberger although, I am under the impression that that is not going to happen.

Haskins was highly regarded coming out of Ohio State, and made his way into the starting lineup as a rookie in Washington. Haskins failed to throw for over 1,500 passing yards in both years with the team after playing a total of 16 games between both 2019 and 2020. The Steelers risked very little by signing Haskins. They can basically move on from him at any point this off-season and owe him absolutely nothing. If Haskins is ready to mature and dedicate himself to the NFL, the talent is there. Time will tell.

As for the other two quarterbacks currently on the roster, Dobbs and Rudolph, I think that I might have an equal chance to become the starter this year. Rudolph was able to post a 5-3 record in 2018 after Roethlisberger was lost for the season while throwing for 1,700 yards and 13 touchdowns. Rudolph eventually lost the starting spot to Devlin “Duck” Hodges down the stretch before replacing a benched Hodges in Week 16. Rudolph was hurt after he entered the game and lost for the season. Rudolph started a Week 17 loss to Cleveland in 2020 after the Steelers had clinched a playoff spot.

Dobbs returned to the Steelers last season after he was released by the Jaguars, whom the Steelers traded him to in 2019. He likely will he competing with Haskins for the third quarterback spot during the preseason.

Without injury, I’d assume Roethlisberger will remain the starter the entire 2021 season. Let’s hope that this time, he can lead the Steelers to their first playoff win since 2017. Who do you think is the best QB on the roster? Comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ben will be the starter all year unless he is injured. There is no question about that. The only other possibility is if we are out of playoff contention and they want to look at Mason or our 3rd string QB in a real game to see what they might have for next year. There is no competition for the starting QB.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
Ben is the starting QB period, assuming he is healthy. There is NO debate on that. I would also go so far as to say barring a complete and stunning reversal of attitude and study habits by Haskins, there is no competition for the number 2 spot and that the ONLY battle is for the final #3 backup spot and even there I give Dobbs a leg up simply because of his sideline relationship to Ben as we saw last year Haskins seemed to function as. Coach when Ben comes off the field. Maybe they would consider keeping Dobbs as a coach if he gets beat by Haskins.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder who these people are that think Haskins is number 2 on the depth chart once he signed his contract.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Haskins will be fighting for a roster spot this year. If he impresses, then he will get to fight Rudolph next year for the No. 1 or No. 2, depending on how Ben does this year and what he decides next year.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Haskins will get to show if he belongs on the roster, and Dobbs doesn't have the #3 locked up. At worst, Haskins will run the scout offense to prepare the Defense for Jackson and Mayfield.

In terms of Dobbs being favored for the #3 based on his relationship with Ben, Ask Switzer how that worked out for him?

If I had to guess, It'll be Ben, Mason, and Dwayne with Josh on the Practice Squad.

One important note, all four guys are under 1 year contracts.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
Haskins will get to show if he belongs on the roster, and Dobbs doesn't have the #3 locked up. At worst, Haskins will run the scout offense to prepare the Defense for Jackson and Mayfield.

In terms of Dobbs being favored for the #3 based on his relationship with Ben, Ask Switzer how that worked out for him?

If I had to guess, It'll be Ben, Mason, and Dwayne with Josh on the Practice Squad.

One important note, all four guys are under 1 year contracts.
Mason is signed through next year now.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Guy comes off elbow surgery. Hey let's make him throw 600 times. !!!
Yeah that was a ******* retarded idea last year. Here I thought signing a FB would turn us into more of a power running game that opened it up downfield. I've come to expect the exact opposite of what would be logical,tactical and sound.

Hopefully the offense can play pissed off.

Best 3 options on roster in order at qb? Ben,Mason and Rocketman Dobbs! Haskins at the moment has zero value. On the depth chart ,I'd put him below our newly drafted monster punter who can throw.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the article Zach but your second to last paragraph sums it all up nicely.

BEN is in, Rednose is #2, splatter the rest.

If Rudolf does happen to get a start, open it up and let him lose without the ******* apron strings. See what the hell we got.

Salute the nation

black and gold apex

Reaction score
,Hard to pick Dobbs, we cut him. the potential must not have been there since Tomlin loves that type player yet he brought him back. If the coach in Washington saw troubles with Haskins I would think he would have to show quite a lot to make the team. No one seems to care for Mason including the coaches. So we start a washed up HOF. QB that just came off major surgery and this coaching staff rewarded him with throwing 700 times a game to receivers that were very inconsistent and blame him for lose to Cleveland that our defense didn't even dress for. So lets go Steelers.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Was this ever really a question? If the team had a young up and comer it would make sense but there's no doubt in any Steelers fan of who's the best capable QB for the team in 2021. Ben has no real competition despite his age, with some luck Rudolph might become a Transition QB while the team gets the new franchise QB but not much more

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Rudolph, Haskins, and Dobbs are playing for 2022. I honestly don’t feel Ben comes back in 2022. This is his farewell tour so see him if you can.
The most likely situation is Rudolph and draft pick fight it out in 2022. The most advantageous situation is if Haskins pulls his head straight out of his *** and starts watching film, working out, and living with Sullivan and Canadian to get better. I don’t see that happening.

steelhurt

Reaction score
#7 is the starter so let’s begin there. Mason is the back-up and God forbid Ben suffers an injury, we will get another in depth look at Mason. This time though I believe a more polished version than what we saw two years ago, more like what we witnessed against the Browns. The third and final spot is a competition between the Rocket Man (Dobbs) and running outta chances Haskins. We shall see if the young Mr. Haskins has matured some and can take the next step. The talent is there but the question is and has been his lack of maturity. If he has matured and shows progress, this could be a major coup for the Steelers. We shall see.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
News must be real damn slow if the poster is seriously going to suggest anyone other than Ben, ****...puleeez