• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why did Tomlin & Colbert not address our Secondary?

Chicoman

Reaction score
Haden, Sutton, Pierre & Layne are our CB's. This secondary might actually be the worst we've had in Steelers history minus Minkah Fitzpatrick. And yes Terrell Edmunds still SUCKS! This season we sure as hell have the weapons on Offense and good depth on the O-line but I have a feeling it's going to be like 2017 where our secondary couldn't stop anyone and the Steelers were constantly playing from behind to win the game! I really wish they took a CB in Round 2 or 3.....I can't remember the last time we were this thin at the CB position and I'm not sure Haden is still a #1 CB in this league. Is anyone else worried our Secondary could be the straw that breaks the camel's back this season. Ben's going to have to toss it 40x a game to keep us in the game.....I also think it's going to limit Najee Harris's impact on offense if we are constantly playing from behind.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
I wanted a CB higher than when they took one also

but you don't draft for need alone

TE was very thin and they got the 2nd best one in the draft

They also needed OL help, they went there in Round 3 and their first round 4 pick

I can't really argue with those choices. They also filled needs and I guess in Tombert's minds they were BPA over any of the CBs on the board

still time to pick up a free agent veteran...hell maybe Nelson resigns..who know

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I came into the draft thinking it would be hard to fill every hole. They did manage to get a UDFA corner and a hybrid S/CB so it isn't that they ignored the position completely. You draft for BPAs then use free agency and or final cuts to filler. Like the coolmeister said perhaps they bring in a corner.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They did draft Tre Norwood in the 7th who was first listed as a S and then as a CB. Tomlin called him a swiss army knife. I called him a practice squad player so who knows.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I think by the time camp opens they'll be good. I have more comfort in what they're doing on defense. Why? It's up front on the line and the backers. A great pass rush and general defensive havoc being wreaked, will make your secondary look that much better. It helps them tremendously. I haven't even added in Devin Bush coming back healthy and taking that next big step toward his full potential.

And the great possibility of longer ball control on the offense with an upgraded rushing attack. A fresher attacking defense pays dividends in those 3rd&4th quarters. That's been the Steelers formula for a long time. It works best not having your guys spent.

It can only go up with the running game. Which opens it up downfield in the passing game. They definitely have the wideouts to make that all happen.

I commend the front office for putting together one last good shot at another superbowl for Big Ben.

It's on the coaches to put it all together. I have high hopes for the new OC.

Creativity and a willingness to change things on the fly when something isn't working will be the key to their overall success. I'd love to go"Man, that was some brilliant tactical ****"

Omar10213245

πŸ‘€πŸ‘‚πŸŽƒπŸˆπŸ‡πŸ₯‘πŸ†πŸ‹πŸͺ‚πŸŒžπŸŒ›πŸŒœβ˜‚β˜”β„πŸŒŠπŸ₯΄πŸ€¬πŸ₯Ί
Contributor
Reaction score
I think by the time camp opens they'll be good. I have more comfort in what they're doing on defense. Why? It's up front on the line and the backers. A great pass rush and general defensive havoc being wreaked, will make your secondary look that much better. It helps them tremendously. I haven't even added in Devin Bush coming back healthy and taking that next big step toward his full potential.

And the great possibility of longer ball control on the offense with an upgraded rushing attack. A fresher attacking defense pays dividends in those 3rd&4th quarters. That's been the Steelers formula for a long time. It works best not having your guys spent.

It can only go up with the running game. Which opens it up downfield in the passing game. They definitely have the wideouts to make that all happen.

I commend the front office for putting together one last good shot at another superbowl for Big Ben.

It's on the coaches to put it all together. I have high hopes for the new OC.

Creativity and a willingness to change things on the fly when something isn't working will be the key to their overall success. I'd love to go"Man, that was some brilliant tactical ****"
Well said, sir

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I don’t see the secondary as bad as you do. We’ve had some pretty lean years back there. We still have an All Pro in Fitzpatrick. Edmunds doesn’t suck, he’s at least an average safety. Haden’s best days are behind him, but at worst he’s still a solid No. 2 type. Sutton is pretty good. I think Layne stinks, but Pierre flashed some potential. I will never understand the move to dump Nelson.

The Steelers had too many needs at other positions, whether it was a starter or depth, to address everything.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
We had tons of holes on both sides of the ball. Gotta pick and choose with a limited number of picks.

Steelmann

Reaction score
As soon as we saw the Steelers surprisingly draft a TE in the second (which upon reflection I have no problems with) I knew one of our positions in need would suffer in a supposed blue chip player. That position is definitely CB.

Going into the draft I definitely wanted to double down on CB, which I felt was a huge need. Perhaps a FA is in the works, it’s all about $$$$$.

The development of Devin Bush is vital to this seasons CB position. Though unproven so far, if he can live up to his potential he will definitely have a positive influence on our CB play.

Another position that will have a huge influence on our Defence will be our first rounder.

How many times did we go 3 and out. We were ranked 21st in first downs. The D , I think were gassed. Harris is going to add time of possession. Give our D some much needed time off.

I think we were ranked 28th in first quarter points offensively. No surprise to us watching the game. Did we ever score on our first drive. A lot of that was on Ben & our dropsies. Well and curious play calling to say the least. It always seemed the offence needed one and a half quarters to warm up before they were even into the game.
That has to change.

Steelers football is about ball control, time of possession. First downs. An older Big Ben making first down throws. Hopefully not always playing from behind when the have the tendency to always go for the deep ball. Without much success. 3 & out.

Harris can have a big influence on the above. Let’s hope our Oline is better than we give it credit for. I think it will be. Enough rambling.

CorpusDsteelers

Reaction score
Rumor is Nelson was talking to Kahn about resigning since he counts as dead money anyways. This was before the draft. So maybe they really didn’t need another body and They like who’s in the room. This could be because of Justin Layne gun issue.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
I think this an overreaction. Edmunds doesn’t suck. Is he a star? No but not everyone of your starters can be stars. I don’t have confidence in them drafting CBs and they seemingly agree. Free agency is the much better route and we can address that now.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Rumor is Nelson was talking to Kahn about resigning since he counts as dead money anyways. This was before the draft. So maybe they really didn’t need another body and They like who’s in the room. This could be because of Justin Layne gun issue.
Weird given some of the tweets Nelson sent out after his release.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I think this an overreaction. Edmunds doesn’t suck. Is he a star? No but not everyone of your starters can be stars. I don’t have confidence in them drafting CBs and they seemingly agree. Free agency is the much better route and we can address that now.
Hehe maybe they said that, **** drafting CBs, let's stick to our guns and then get a proven FA

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Get Nelson back or sign butler or alaxander

Omar10213245

Contributor
Reaction score
Get Nelson back or sign butler or alaxander
Nelson ain't coming back unless they give him a king's ransom, not happening.

Omar10213245

Contributor
Reaction score
where are you hearing this? i hadn't seen anything about this at all. . .

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Really, a fa CB is the only thing that makes sense
Tombert has basically admitted that they cannot draft and develop DB's. Our best DB's all came from other teams. The last decent DB they drafted was Willie Gay in 2007. For the love of God, do not waste draft picks on DB's, just make trades or sign veteran FA's from other teams.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Tombert has basically admitted that they cannot draft and develop DB's. Our best DB's all came from other teams.

I don't know about that, Ron. Steelers drafted Justin Layne and granted, it's special teams, but he turned into a hell of a gunner.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted a CB higher than when they took one also

but you don't draft for need alone

TE was very thin and they got the 2nd best one in the draft

They also needed OL help, they went there in Round 3 and their first round 4 pick

I can't really argue with those choices. They also filled needs and I guess in Tombert's minds they were BPA over any of the CBs on the board

still time to pick up a free agent veteran...hell maybe Nelson resigns..who know

Coolie. that's where I see them going, FA that has starter capabilities. You are right about Nelson, I don't know if that bridge is burnt completely but he would be a great resign for this up coming season.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Pierre & Layne better bust their butts in camp because I think a couple of our UDFA Cornerbacks are going to surprise us.

N-I-C-E problem to have

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t see the secondary as bad as you do. We’ve had some pretty lean years back there. We still have an All Pro in Fitzpatrick. Edmunds doesn’t suck, he’s at least an average safety. Haden’s best days are behind him, but at worst he’s still a solid No. 2 type. Sutton is pretty good. I think Layne stinks, but Pierre flashed some potential. I will never understand the move to dump Nelson.

The Steelers had too many needs at other positions, whether it was a starter or depth, to address everything.

I think Nelson pushed that hand. He got himself dumped.

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Nelson pushed that hand. He got himself dumped.

Salute the nation
It wasn't ideal parting but it also wasn't never come back AB type of move on. He probably is still hammering for a good price tag but maybe soon that price demand starts to lower.