• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why did Tomlin & Colbert not address our Secondary?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Anywho find one vet bring one in is the ideal approach I think.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I think they hoped Asante Samuel jr would fall to round 2. But Freiermuth was a heck of a value and I don’t feel there was a CB worth our second. Ifeatu Melifonwu was there for our 3rd and he was a good value.
At the end of the day we had a good amount of holes and just couldn’t fill them all. I think Sutton gives us options because he can play inside or out. We need Layne, Pierre or someone to step up opposite Haden or Norwood, Shakur Brown or Gilbert to show something at nickel then Sutton can go to the outside. Hopefully someone steps up.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
Ya I thought they really missed out when they passed on tyree Gillespie Mizzu, 6-0 210 4.3 in 4th. Dude really looked to be a Steeler. I could just see Gillespie talking over Hilton’s spot covering slot and blitzing… one of reasons not big Harris fan is the way Gillespie owned him in the alabama vs mizzu game but Gillespie owned a lot of players after watching his tape. We could have taken gillespie then took McDuffie from Boston college down further… both can really cover and really play football they do just about anything asked. These lower round draft draft picks make or break a team... speed is problem for both buddy and the oklahoma guy I don’t know how help they are going to be.

Last edited:

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I think they knew the kid from Duke was going undrafted.... if he medically clears he is a better prospect than we could have got in the mid to late rounds.... if he isn’t medically right then no harm no foul... and They got two good safety/slot guys as well.... they didn’t address it with a premium pick.... they got a rb instead, but they might get lucky here

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It wasn't ideal parting but it also wasn't never come back AB type of move on. He probably is still hammering for a good price tag but maybe soon that price demand starts to lower.

TOTALLY agree slash. Time is amazing in wound & pride healing, Nelson thought big $$$ finding out differently. He may come back but it will be under STEELERS terms and fair money.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
maybe we can trade our 3 back up qbs for William Jackson III

I would hope you would let Coach run this gambit as he would come out with two additional 1st round picks to be used in this draft...........)not next years mind you)

Salute the nation

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting UDFA signing. 6'0", 186 lbs., all-conference as a sophomore in 2017 with 6 interceptions and 21 total passes defensed. Ran a 4.36 40 at his pro-day. Can he stay healthy? Hip injury in 2018, surgery, missed that season and the next due to the surgery. Returned 2020, played just two games, 11 tackles, interception, 3 passes defensed.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
UDFA to keep an eye on.

CB Shakur Brown, Pittsburgh Steelers

Brown made just 12 career starts at the college level, but he has shown that he has the potential to hold his own on an NFL field. Brown recorded the seventh-highest overall grade in the nation last season (82.2) to go with the highest PFF coverage grade in the Big Ten (84.2).

Brown has just about everything you want in a corner, from outstanding ball-tracking skills to confidence in coverage. You don't need much tape on Brown to know you want to go to battle with him. He's a versatile and feisty corner.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
We suck at drafting CBs. We'll get them all in FA. I expect some big moves by Friday.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
And btw, the NFL Network had a fourth-round grade on Brown before the draft. So you can squint your eyes a little and trick yourself into thinking the Steelers drafted a legit corner in the 4th round. (y)

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I wanted a CB higher than when they took one also

but you don't draft for need alone

TE was very thin and they got the 2nd best one in the draft

They also needed OL help, they went there in Round 3 and their first round 4 pick

I can't really argue with those choices. They also filled needs and I guess in Tombert's minds they were BPA over any of the CBs on the board

still time to pick up a free agent veteran...hell maybe Nelson resigns..who know

The CB they did take is too slow for man coverage. You heard it here fist, the Steelers will have to move him to saftey,

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I think they knew the kid from Duke was going undrafted.... if he medically clears he is a better prospect than we could have got in the mid to late rounds.... if he isn’t medically right then no harm no foul... and They got two good safety/slot guys as well.... they didn’t address it with a premium pick.... they got a rb instead, but they might get lucky here
I really think the 'steal' was signing Shakur Brown after the draft. Looks like we may have another Mike Hilton in the kid???

from nfl.com:

Overview
Athletic and instinctive, Brown offers inside/outside cornerback skill and experience, but his average size and speed might make the slot a more likely home. He plays the game like an angry hornet with a relentless, edgy play demeanor. Brown plays with ideal eye balance and field awareness that complements his short-area twitch and anticipatory skills to challenge throws. He has the strength, athleticism and football intelligence to play any coverage technique and often traveled with the opponent's best wideout. He will eventually lose some ground deep and can be overtaken by big receivers. He's often chippy against opposing receivers and loves to come downhill as a run defender. Brown plays with the competitive spirit and talent to leave an imprint on the game as a starting nickel with CB2 potential.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I really think the 'steal' was signing Shakur Brown after the draft. Looks like we may have another Mike Hilton in the kid???

from nfl.com:

Overview
Athletic and instinctive, Brown offers inside/outside cornerback skill and experience, but his average size and speed might make the slot a more likely home. He plays the game like an angry hornet with a relentless, edgy play demeanor. Brown plays with ideal eye balance and field awareness that complements his short-area twitch and anticipatory skills to challenge throws. He has the strength, athleticism and football intelligence to play any coverage technique and often traveled with the opponent's best wideout. He will eventually lose some ground deep and can be overtaken by big receivers. He's often chippy against opposing receivers and loves to come downhill as a run defender. Brown plays with the competitive spirit and talent to leave an imprint on the game as a starting nickel with CB2 potential.
He was one of three guys I really wanted with the 4b pick.... they got him for free

madinsomniac

Reaction score
The CB they did take is too slow for man coverage. You heard it here fist, the Steelers will have to move him to saftey,
He probably is a slot or safety but that’s precisely what we need most back there... we have the outside horses more or less...

I like that they got two intriguing guys as udfas too... i felt a lot better about the draft after that turn

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
he was actually signed as a swiss army knife, NCB/S

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Some more post-draft CB help:

The Steelers have signed cornerback DeMarkus Acy, adding depth to position of high need following the losses of Mike Hilton and Steven Nelson. NFL Draft Diamonds broke the signing via Twitter.

Acy was signed as an undrafted free agent last season by the San Francisco 49ers following the 2020 NFL Draft, but was waived by the team in August. He joined the practice squads of the Seattle Seahawks and the Washington Football Team, but was waived on April 17 by Washington.

Acy was a three-year starter at Missouri with 99 total tackles, 23 pass breakups and three interceptions in 47 career games. At 6-foot-2, 195 pounds, the 23-year-old Acy has positive size for a cornerback and also has prior experience at safety, although he has yet to see NFL action.

The Steelers are looking for help at cornerback after losing Steven Nelson and Mike Hilton and not drafting one until the seventh round in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I don't know about that, Ron. Steelers drafted Justin Layne and granted, it's special teams, but he turned into a hell of a gunner.
We'll see. They're track record is not good.