• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why did Tomlin & Colbert not address our Secondary?

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
I wanted a CB higher than when they took one also

but you don't draft for need alone

TE was very thin and they got the 2nd best one in the draft

They also needed OL help, they went there in Round 3 and their first round 4 pick

I can't really argue with those choices. They also filled needs and I guess in Tombert's minds they were BPA over any of the CBs on the board

still time to pick up a free agent veteran...hell maybe Nelson resigns..who know
It’s not exactly like great CBs are just hanging around at pick #55 either.

I’m not in the Terrell Edmunds “sucks” camp (he’s a very good tackler and does thankless role covering middle zone in C-3 defense) but realize that historically we’ve gotten bigger plays from SS position.

Here’s to hoping that they are aggressive in finding quality DBs in future.

diver

Reaction score
I am no draft guru by any stretch, but I think I understand a little football. I get the no RBs in the first round line of thinking, but what I have a problem with is some of the talking heads saying a corner would have been a better option. I would put the corner position in the same category in the 1st round as they do running backs, unless you have an absolute, sure fire shutdown guy, a Deion Sanders or something. The reason is the rules now that limit so much what a corner can do, the rules that limit where a QB can be hit make it almost impossible to have a true shutdown guy. I just don't think I would waste a 1st rounder ever on a corner, unless I was to be in a position to draft a generational talent there.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I am no draft guru by any stretch, but I think I understand a little football. I get the no RBs in the first round line of thinking, but what I have a problem with is some of the talking heads saying a corner would have been a better option. I would put the corner position in the same category in the 1st round as they do running backs, unless you have an absolute, sure fire shutdown guy, a Deion Sanders or something. The reason is the rules now that limit so much what a corner can do, the rules that limit where a QB can be hit make it almost impossible to have a true shutdown guy. I just don't think I would waste a 1st rounder ever on a corner, unless I was to be in a position to draft a generational talent there.
There were 3 CB guys that I had as 1st round grade, Surtain, Horn and Farley. Had the hope that the last one would fall due to medical but he didn't, he went 14 iirc so it was a No to CBs in the 1st .

Then in the 2nd it was Samuels or no one as they all had question marks and I preferred getting OLine value in this round so that left 3rd and 4rh round to get a nickel CB, I guess the Steelers either:
a) decided they'll go with a yet known FA because they know they suck at drafting DB or
B) trust they would get value in the late picks + Pierre and Layne. This scares me a bit

diver

Reaction score
There were 3 CB guys that I had as 1st round grade, Surtain, Horn and Farley. Had the hope that the last one would fall due to medical but he didn't, he went 14 iirc so it was a No to CBs in the 1st .

Then in the 2nd it was Samuels or no one as they all had question marks and I preferred getting OLine value in this round so that left 3rd and 4rh round to get a nickel CB, I guess the Steelers either:
a) decided they'll go with a yet known FA because they know they suck at drafting DB or
B) trust they would get value in the late picks + Pierre and Layne. This scares me a bit
If one of those guys was sitting there, would you have taken him? I will admit not really knowing the attributes of each player. I am just looking at it positionally. Are any of them potentially shutdown guys? Again, in regards to position, I don't know if I still take one of them over Harris, unless you think one of them can be a true shutdown.

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
Once it got to pick 22 , Farley and Darrisaw were still on the board then in typical fashion they were gone by 24. I'm wondering if one or both were available if there would have been more discussion with Tombert and staff instead of immediately handing in the card.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Lots of time left to address corner if they feel they need to add someone. Layne getting arrested doesn't help the situation at all.

We may get lucky and find a cap casualty later in the year.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
If one of those guys was sitting there, would you have taken him? I will admit not really knowing the attributes of each player. I am just looking at it positionally. Are any of them potentially shutdown guys? Again, in regards to position, I don't know if I still take one of them over Harris, unless you think one of them can be a true shutdown.
The 3 of them, plus Darrisaw were ahead of Harris in my board

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Once it got to pick 22 , Farley and Darrisaw were still on the board then in typical fashion they were gone by 24. I'm wondering if one or both were available if there would have been more discussion with Tombert and staff instead of immediately handing in the card.
same goes for Cosmi OT and Samuels CB in the 2nd round, would they pass on them if available? I wouldn't

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Depends on where Colbert had Farley and Darrisaw ranked. They had Harris ranked 8th on their board.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
So, back to not addressing the secondary. They must have really liked the value Shakur Brown brought as an UDFA. I read over at the Depot that they gave the kid a $25K signing bonus. That's a pretty high bonus for UDFA. But, not for a "priority" UDFA.
Also read that one analyst had the kid as a 3rd round draft choice and the NFL website predicted he'd go in the 4th.
Given the bonus, the rankings and the need, there's a good chance that Brown makes the team IF he shows that 3rd/4th round ability during camp.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So, back to not addressing the secondary. They must have really liked the value Shakur Brown brought as an UDFA. I read over at the Depot that they gave the kid a $25K signing bonus. That's a pretty high bonus for UDFA. But, not for a "priority" UDFA.
Also read that one analyst had the kid as a 3rd round draft choice and the NFL website predicted he'd go in the 4th.
Given the bonus, the rankings and the need, there's a good chance that Brown makes the team IF he shows that 3rd/4th round ability during camp.

I'm no expert but was surprised we got him as a UDFA. Earlier I'd read up on him and felt he would be a potential target to draft si I'm happy he is here. Time will tell but he could very easily make the 53 roster (has the roster been expanded for the 17gm stretch?)

Great ost SteelBuckeye, lot of great information.

Salute the nation

FordFairLane

Reaction score
And btw, the NFL Network had a fourth-round grade on Brown before the draft. So you can squint your eyes a little and trick yourself into thinking the Steelers drafted a legit corner in the 4th round. (y)
He actually reminds me of Hilton. Not so much fast as quick and he makes plays knowing where he needs to be a split second before anyone else. You can time brain speed on a 40 yard dash.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
He actually reminds me of Hilton. Not so much fast as quick and he makes plays knowing where he needs to be a split second before anyone else. You can time brain speed on a 40 yard dash.
he lacks the physical play against the run unfortunately, hope he can develop that part in the B & G