• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why did we sign Anthony Miller?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers kept Witherspoon on the inactive list all year and when he got a chance he produced better than the guys ahead of him. Does Miller play the slot? If so, he should be getting snaps ahead of Ray Ray.
As I stated over and over again bad decision making it just didn't stop from the offseason, preseason, to early start of the season. That is the teams one consistent.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe he is the secret weapon that will be utilized to perfection in the last 3 games. I like it. The rest of the NFL won't know what hit them. Brilliant!

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe he is the secret weapon that will be utilized to perfection in the last 3 games. I like it. The rest of the NFL won't know what hit them. Brilliant!
If you got the time we got the beer Miller beer er Miller time!

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
was a stupid signing could of reached out to some bets out there maybe called Larry Fitz to see if he was interested in playing a limited role

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure why since they obviously think he sucks but the Steelers signed Miller to a futures contract. This is just bizarre. If you couldn't get him ready to play ahead of the likes of Cody and even RayRay at WR, then why would you sign him to anything now? Hopefully, he does well in OTA's, camp, and the preseason.

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure why since they obviously think he sucks but the Steelers signed Miller to a futures contract. This is just bizarre. If you couldn't get him ready to play ahead of the likes of Cody and even RayRay at WR, then why would you sign him to anything now? Hopefully, he does well in OTA's, camp, and the preseason.
I think with the possible departures of Juju and James you want someone of veteran caliber in the WR room. Miller is a solid receiver with what I believe to be above average hands. It was frustrating to see him not getting a hat on game days this season- but with all of those dogs dressing at receiver, there isn’t enough bones to go around. I like him coming to camp and see him possibly securing the 2 or 3 spot on the receiver depth chart.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
look, I think its pretty obvious that Tomlin has specific types of players in mind for each role. Each team is going to have an undersized average speed returner/wr/rb type with meh speed but some quickness... every team is going to have a santonio/antonio type that runs routes really well as a top wr... every team is going to have a physical wr for the slot. and every team is going to have that speedster outside ... claypool is the speedster... we wont double dip for some reason... miller is slightly faster than claypool.... Id take a second speed deep threat in a heartbeat... it really changes how you have to play the secondary...

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They think Ray Ray is a speedster. He is an above-average punt returner but is a well below-average WR. Miller is fast and can run routes. His one opportunity in a game this year was a good route with a bad pass. He still somehow plucked the ball out of the air. It only gained one yard but we have no one else that makes those kinds of catches. There is no reason or excuse for not having him in games this year especially ahead of Cody and probably even ahead of Ray Ray. Miller can also return kicks.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I advocated for Miller to get on the field as well only to see "no hat" sunday. Doghouse ??? Ability ??? Injury ???

I don't think any of those had a berring other than Tomlin living in his fears. I'm not there on a daily basis but it just
seems that a lot of things are happening to keep this team from being the best it can be.

EDIT: Does "player's" coach have anything to do with it ? Maybe Miller doesn't by into the good O'l boy routine of becoming a favored player.?

Salute the nation

madinsomniac

Reaction score
They think Ray Ray is a speedster. He is an above-average punt returner but is a well below-average WR. Miller is fast and can run routes. His one opportunity in a game this year was a good route with a bad pass. He still somehow plucked the ball out of the air. It only gained one yard but we have no one else that makes those kinds of catches. There is no reason or excuse for not having him in games this year especially ahead of Cody and probably even ahead of Ray Ray. Miller can also return kicks.
they always have that kind of guy... its like they want a wes welker type but never get a guy with that actual ability... I mean Ray Ray is better than Switzer by far, but he isnt exactly someone who should be locked into a roster spot all the time...

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
they always have that kind of guy... its like they want a wes welker type but never get a guy with that actual ability... I mean Ray Ray is better than Switzer by far, but he isnt exactly someone who should be locked into a roster spot all the time...
They have a better shot with Miller. Ray Ray ran a slow 4.53. Miller ran a 4.38. Why Miller didn't get a shot at returning kicks and playing WR especially when we were so decimated late in the season is mind-boggling. Maybe he can't hold onto the ball. That is the only thing I can see as an issue.

From what I just read, Miller's issue in Chicago wasn't ball control, it was consistency. He has the talent. Sounds almost like a maturity issue like with Claypool. Hopefully, they both can figure it out this offseason. We can use them both playing well.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Good two receivers that have potential, Claypool and Miller can be room mates

madinsomniac

Reaction score
They have a better shot with Miller. Ray Ray ran a slow 4.53. Miller ran a 4.38. Why Miller didn't get a shot at returning kicks and playing WR especially when we were so decimated late in the season is mind-boggling. Maybe he can't hold onto the ball. That is the only thing I can see as an issue.

From what I just read, Miller's issue in Chicago wasn't ball control, it was consistency. He has the talent. Sounds almost like a maturity issue like with Claypool. Hopefully, they both can figure it out this offseason. We can use them both playing well.
The one time they threw at him that was even remotely catchable that I remember was a pretty fantastic one handed snatch on a not great throw ….

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The one time they threw at him that was even remotely catchable that I remember was a pretty fantastic one handed snatch on a not great throw ….
It was a great catch. That's why I was shocked he was sent back down and we never heard or saw from him again. It just makes no sense.

livingthrudying

Reaction score
Its been my thought for a while now in regards to players and how they get on the field on this team. Tomlin is a players coach and buddies with players on the team. Personally i think he has "his boys" and he just is not going to put someone better on the field ahead of "his boys" unless its just bash you in the head stupid in your face obvious that it should be done. I also think Tomlin lacks the Spine to bench players. Yes he has done it a little bit but not much. Nothing about this man makes me think he is a in your face deal with conflict type of person. He strikes me more as a avoid conflict and hard decisions at all costs! I could be wrong thought.