• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why does Ben Roethlisberger never get respect?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger does not participate on social media and it’s probably a good thing he does not. Hopefully that extends to mainstream media coverage as well, because I can never recall a QB coming off a more productive season that is so widely currently considered among the worst QBs in football. Even saw an article on a national publication that dropped Roethlisberger from a “Tier 1” QB (franchise QB) prior to 2020 to a “Tier 6” (good luck) after a 33 TD, 3,803 yards and 10 INT season.

It’s always been a “what have you done for me lately league” as pundits will change their stance following a single week.

The Playoff Loss​

With no “next week” to erase the bitter and embarrassing playoff loss vs. the Cleveland Browns until September, your “sports guru” will do their usual surface level research and conclude that only the final month of the season is any indicator of future direction. After all, Roethlisberger must be in decline, he took a pay cut, is 39 years old, after elbow surgery he cannot throw deep anymore, etc. They will point to his 4 INTs in the playoff game, but outright ignore how he fought tooth and nail to bring the Steelers back, setting an NFL record of 47 completions in a single game (regular or post-season), throwing for 500+ yards and 4 TDs to outscore the Browns 37-20 over the final 3 quarters. Just imagine if the defense controlled the Browns in the playoffs like they did twice in the regular season, what tune would be sung about Roethlisberger’s comeback performance then?

Or try this scenario: If the Browns were down 28-0, who honestly thinks Baker Mayfield could have engineered any kind of comeback similar to that of what Roethlisberger did? And whenever they bring up how “bad” it was, it is rather convenient to forget about the final playoff game for Dan Marino: A 61-7 loss.

Blaming it on Ben​

In recent years, Roethlisberger has taken the brunt of playoff losses more than any QB in the NFL since Peyton Manning in the 2000s. There has been one considerable difference and that is that Roethlisberger actually produced efforts that were good enough to win whereas Manning was abysmal. In fact, Roethlisberger outplayed Manning in both of their head-to-head playoff matchups. Compare and contrast with Aaron Rodgers, who has recently demonstrated that he has trumped any “drama queen” status that Roethlisberger has been deemed, but no one has ever blamed him for his repeated failures in the playoffs.

To take it a step further, often he hasn’t received credit for the win in Super Bowl XL because he played poorly and his underperformance in Super Bowl XLV against a team he shredded for 500+ yards the year before is part of the reason they lost.

Even more frustrating is how the “experts” go after the low-hanging fruit of failing to win a playoff game since 2016. Context is king and when Roethlisberger has a 5 TD and 469-yard game resulting in 42 points, but you still lose, is that on him? How about in 2018 the repeated bad calls down the stretch that cost them games vs. the San Diego Chargers (blatant false start on TD) and the two phantom pass interference penalties that handed the New Orleans Saints free points. Karma may have bit them back, but the Steelers should have been AFC North Champions and in the playoffs. So when they say Ben hasn’t won a playoff game since 2016, it’s insulting people’s intelligence as it’s really just been two games.

Never Recognized​

Remember the breakout game of James Harrison in 2007 vs. the Baltimore Ravens? Silverback’s 9 tackles, 3.5 sacks, FF, FR and INT put him on the map. That same night Ben tied an NFL record with 5 TDs passes in the 1st half but was overshadowed. Records that he holds such as the most 500-yard games (4) and games with perfect passer rating (4) are never mentioned and he couldn’t even win AFC Offensive Player of the Month when he had consecutive 6-TD pass games. He led the NFL in passing yards – twice – but the media was more focused on his having a “down year” because of his 16 INTs. They still insist that the 2005 win in the AFC Divisional Round vs. the Indianapolis Colts was an “upset” despite the Steelers already proven to be an elite team that were knocking on the door of the Super Bowl in 3 of the previous 4 years and Roethlisberger outplayed Manning. On that note, the Steelers 15-1 season and Roethlisberger’s historic start have been referred to as “the most surprising” and less than that of the 1998 Minnesota Vikings – who had a one year in the sun moment. He directed a drive to win the Super Bowl with :34 left, but it’s never in a category with “The Drive” and the team has never even voted him team MVP, when it’s obvious they would have been in a bad spot without him many times. He was not named Super Bowl XL MVP as most QBs would have been. Heck, with all due respect to Alex Smith, his recovery to play a minor fraction of the season is inspiring, but not really “Comeback Player of the Year” worthy, especially as it didn’t last. It’s not the award, but more giving credit where it’s due. There really just seems to be a pattern of not recognizing Big Ben for what he has done.

Never MVP Consideration

This is nothing new with Roethlisberger, he has never been privy to any real respect. While much of it has been self-inflicted as he acted like a condescending jerk for many years and did not have great reputation with the media, the fact that he has only been named to 6 Pro Bowls and not even a single MVP vote in his whole career is ridiculous.

Yet pundits still insist on the greatness of the “former MVP” Lamar Jackson, as if being voted MVP is a guaranteed predictor of future results. Jackson still has yet to prove he can throw outside the hashes and if he keeps that run first, run second, run often mentality, that MVP will mean even less than it does to “previous winners” like Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, Steve McNair and Rich Gannon. They at least reached but failed to win, the Super Bowl. And really, would you take any of their careers over Roethlisberger’s? Roethlisberger should have been named MVP in 2017 – it just would have taken the officials from not overturning the Jesse James TD and he takes it home as the QB on the team with the best record.

Roethlisberger’s Motivation​

Roethlisberger truly doesn’t care about the money or the MVP, but I’d bet a years salary that he is still haunted by that loss in Super Bowl XLV. He was in his prime, capable and able to go toe-to-toe in what should have been an all-time classic. In fact, Roethlisberger’s whole legacy would be different if he completed that 2-minute drive vs. the Green Bay Packers. That whole game shifted on just a few plays as the Packers were reeling. If there was one play though that could have been the difference was when he missed Mike Wallace deep on a sure TD. Even in Super Bowl XL, the game many say they won in spite of him, forgetting how he carried the offense through 3 playoff games. All he had to do was put air under the ball when they were about to score, something he has done in his sleep in the following years and the Steelers take a commanding 21-3 third quarter lead. Instead, he made an error in throwing a direct but soft pass, resulting in an INT that kept the game close.

Big Ben has never been at his best in that big game environment, but winning a 3rd ring would make it academic that he would be in an elite category. He’s competitive and it’s human nature to actually receive that long overdue recognition.

Here’s to believing he’s going to do it.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Ben is no longer a top-tier quarterback, but a "Tier 6" classification seems a bit harsh and ill-conceived.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
BEN ROETHLISBERGER is a great QB and team leader / teammate. There is no arguing that statement YET the media and even some here seem to find blame to point at him continuously. he has been robbed of accolades MVP season and SB plus CBPOY.

Ben has more than paid his depth for the millagevill & LV incident yet still hammered for it. Hell we have a double murderer getting SB MVP, a cheating coach who should have been banned for life named the greatest coach ever and thoughts of renaming the Lombardi trophy after him.

I don't care what the media / fans (both local and foreign) / talking heads / the rog / or anybody else have to say, Ben Roethlisberger has the stats / wins / longevity / non-cheating clean record / etc........ to be voted 1st ballot HOF and nothing would be better than for him to expound on some of the garbage horse-****/chyt/***** he has endured. That will never happen as BEN just has to much class for that.

I hope it is Cowher or Jerome or someone of that era that introduces him and NOT anyone from this current coaching staff. He deserves somebody who played with and desired to win with contributing instead of someone who has been riding his coattail. Remember BEN has never had a losing season but that is lost to everyone saying TOMLIN has never had a losing season with no credit to BEN.

Arron Rodgers is a shell of man and lesser QB than BEN yet he is glorified instead of crucified.

Salute the nation

Damn I'm a genius..!!!

Salute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ben is a 1st ballot HOFer as well yet some are saying if he and Marsha retire the same year, they might keep Ben out just so Marsha goes in by himself at QB. I mean WTF! He either is or isn't a HOFer and Ben absolutely is a 1st ballot HOFer. He is one of the best to ever play the game. He's well inside the top 10 in almost all major QB statistical categories even though he played on a run-first team for the first 5+ years of his career.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I got nothin' but love for Ben Roethlisberger.

I like Terry, I know he was the greatest big-game QB in the history if the league, but Ben (imo) is the best QB the Steelers have never had.

And it isn't close.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Man great question. I think most Steeler fans give him the respect he deserves. Best QB in franchise history and that is saying a lot considering we have a 1st year eligible Hall of Famer in Bradshaw.

Non Steeler fans that I talk to say he is a dick, a rapist, hated by his team mates etc. no prove of any of this. perhaps they were pissed off he continuously beat their team?

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Outside of the 'burgh, everyone thinks he's a rapist or sexual predator due to his incidents in Lake Tahoe and Georgia. Rapistberger and all that .... for a lot of folks that trumps anything he has done on the football field.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Outside of the 'burgh, everyone thinks he's a rapist or sexual predator due to his incidents in Lake Tahoe and Georgia. Rapistberger and all that .... for a lot of folks that trumps anything he has done on the football field.
Inside Pittsburgh there is some areas that thought he was quite the ******** early out of the gates and you know some are simply unforgiving. In general I am a give a man a chance to redeem himself for the most part. But with some old schoolers you rub them the wrong way good luck getting them to change their mind. So it wasn't just the female incidents. Easy for opposing fans to latch onto that rape bullshit. I always respond back yes he has been raping your secondary for over a decade.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
First off BEN hasn't raped anyone. He has had ACCUSATIONS put against him only to be proven wrong through a tangle of mentally unstabil to frat girls getting even. NO CHArGES and no proof. Yes he was a major idiot dick head aZZhole but he has turned his life around completely yet no one cares.

Ray Lewis got a "get out of jail free" card where as BEN ROetHLISBERGER got a "never been in jail but we want you there" card.

Ben Roethlisberger is a great QB whom is nearing the end of a SPECTACULAR carrer. Best STEELERS QB and would stack up as arguably in top 10 ever in the NFL.

Salute the nation

Stewey

Reaction score

Roethlisberger’s Motivation​

Roethlisberger truly doesn’t care about the money or the MVP, but I’d bet a years salary that he is still haunted by that loss in Super Bowl XLV. He was in his prime, capable and able to go toe-to-toe in what should have been an all-time classic. In fact, Roethlisberger’s whole legacy would be different if he completed that 2-minute drive vs. the Green Bay Packers. That whole game shifted on just a few plays as the Packers were reeling. If there was one play though that could have been the difference was when he missed Mike Wallace deep on a sure TD. Even in Super Bowl XL, the game many say they won in spite of him, forgetting how he carried the offense through 3 playoff games. All he had to do was put air under the ball when they were about to score, something he has done in his sleep in the following years and the Steelers take a commanding 21-3 third quarter lead. Instead, he made an error in throwing a direct but soft pass, resulting in an INT that kept the game close.

Big Ben has never been at his best in that big game environment, but winning a 3rd ring would make it academic that he would be in an elite category. He’s competitive and it’s human nature to actually receive that long overdue recognition.
That play still sticks out in my mind. Brady doesn't miss that pass. Any QB considered "elite" doesn't miss that pass. Sigh.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
That play still sticks out in my mind. Brady doesn't miss that pass. Any QB considered "elite" doesn't miss that pass. Sigh.
Yet he made one of the most clutch plays in SB history to Santonio. Not once but twice to put the team in position to win that SB. An elite QB made that play, and had a rookie season that few have ever had. His first SB victory came on the wings of his stellar play leading up to the big game.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Sorry Stewey but using a PROVEN cheating mother ******* QB to compare and take BEN down a notch doesn't cut it. Did t*mmyb*y have an earfull of defensive play called? If Roethlisberger had known the defensive play call would he have completed it ??? ONE play does not make the designation of elite or not elite.

Salute the nation

Stewey

Reaction score
Sorry Stewey but using a PROVEN cheating mother ******* QB to compare and take BEN down a notch doesn't cut it. Did t*mmyb*y have an earfull of defensive play called? If Roethlisberger had known the defensive play call would he have completed it ??? ONE play does not make the designation of elite or not elite.

Salute the nation

You lost me there IC. Replace Ben with the cheater in that very same situation and he misses a wide open receiver because he didn't know the defensive call?

Forget about Brady, does Mahomes miss that play? How about Elway when he played?

We shoulda had a #7th ring by now.

We gotta be the only team to lose Super Bowls because of self inflicted blunders, not because of being outplayed.

We had Dallas on the ropes kicking their ***. How many TD's did O'Donell hand to them?
Ben misses an easy TD pass.
The Mendenhall fumble.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You lost me there IC. Replace Ben with the cheater in that very same situation and he misses a wide open receiver because he didn't know the defensive call?

Forget about Brady, does Mahomes miss that play? How about Elway when he played?

We gotta be the only team to lose Super Bowls because of self inflicted blunders, not because of being outplayed.

We had Dallas on the ropes kicking their ***. How many TD's did O'Donell hand to them?
The Mendenhall fumble.

99 out of a 100 BEN makes that throw. On Any Given Sunday. **** happens and Ben didn't lose that SB on one play, how about the disregard of the coaching staff?

A-N-D

YES, Mahomes has missed throws along with Elway as NO one is immune to a missed opportunity.

Salute the nation

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think people have forgotten how bad Elway was his first 10 seasons. This is 83 to 92...much sucking.

GPCMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGSACKFUMRTG

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think people have forgotten how bad Elway was his first 10 seasons. This is 83 to 92...much sucking.

NICE post mightyguru and if John Elway is the comparison of being an "elite" QB then BEN is hands down elite with room to spare.

Salute the nation

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
I know it's already been said, but three words:

Accusations of rape.

The other stuff, being a dick or not being the best teammate at times - just others ways to hate on the guy for the above. I mean look at Aaron Rodgers, his picture should be in the dictionary next to the word "dick" and bad teammate.

The circumstances surrounding both incidents, we diehard fans know better than the average schmoe - but unfortunately it's going to stay with him for the rest of his life. We know we've witnessed one of the all-time greats IMO. And pretty remarkable how he turned his off-the-field around so kudos to him.

I just really hope it doesn't ruin his chances for the HOF because he deserves his named enshrined next to the best who've ever played.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score

If not for TE Broncos circumventing the Cap - or Terrell Davis - Elway’s playoff record would have been 5-8.

The Drive vs. a Browns Defense that other than its secondary—absolutely sucked—and went into full prevent D mode, his legacy would be 100% different

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score

The Mendenhall fumble.
Pretty sure Tommy boy missed a wide open Edelman that resulted in an INT.

The super bowl against GB would have gone MUCH differently had Kemo not been bullrushed directly into Ben's lap resulting in a pick 6.

I'm also pretty sure that Seattle would have one more super bowl and new England one less, if they hadn't had a "self inflicted blunder"

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty sure Tommy boy missed a wide open Edelman that resulted in an INT.

The super bowl against GB would have gone MUCH differently had Kemo not been bullrushed directly into Ben's lap resulting in a pick 6.

I'm also pretty sure that Seattle would have one more super bowl and new England one less, if they hadn't had a "self inflicted blunder"

wasn't t*mmyb*y on the receiving end of a "Philly Special" in the SB and MISSED IT even thought he was wide open...........

So t*mmyb*y has been on both ends of missing a wide open pass.......................... RED HOT POKER

Salute the nation