• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why I think Tomlin needs to go

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
The Steelers are 4-7 in their last 11 games against sub .500 teams. These blown games have cost us a playoff appearance before, and probably will this season. No top coach with a talented team loses this often to inferior competition.

Tomlin sticks with bad veterans too long. Last year it was Cam Thomas. This year it was Blake. Is it that hard to see the next man up is better?

His use of time outs leaves a lot to be desired. I wish the Steelers would hire a time outs coach.

He's a gambler, often going for it when he should have kicked it, and okaying a unadvisable trick play. This cost us the Seattle game, and possibly the Ravens game. Give me that field goal instead of throwing a 4th down pass way behind the first down marker, and we likely win the Ravens game.

His leadership seems average and he doesn't man up to take the blame. And his house rules such as letting some players play games, and denying others is a perfect way to divide a team. I also think a head coach should have a respect level with players off the field that prevents players from doing questionable things.

We often see little in terms of half time adjustments.

He hasn't won a playoff game in five years. Unless luck comes our way and the Jets lose, the soonest it will be is six years. This is unacceptable with a Franchise QB.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Gotta agree. I'd like to add one thing. He cannot fix anything broken during the season. When it was the Oline as the deficit it took bringing in a top coach. Now it is the secondary. People have screamed about the unit for three seasons and nothing really gets fixed. And he came in as a DB coach. Good coaches fix things to at least improve a unit or use agressive play by the force unit (in this case) to hide their problem.

Brian M

Reaction score
contract extension this summer = stuck with Tomlin

mdk2

Reaction score
Tomlin isn't going anywhere.. Tomlin has some blame in the loss but..
Look at #7 if you want someone to truly blame and go back and look at Ben's numbers in those 11 games.. Something to the tune of terrible, for the most part.
Tomlin can only do so much for the players on the field, sometimes they need to be held accountable as well.

scstillerfan

Reaction score
Ben played poorly no doubt. But this defense couldn't stop Ryan ******* Mallett and his band of 3rd stringers the entire game. Tomlin started Blake and Allen AGAIN. All Tomlin. Tomlin called a TO on 3rd and 12 after Ben got sacked with 48 seconds to go in the first half. It almost cost them another 3 points. Tomlin installed the pass defense that everyone in the NFL can beat now. They sat back and let Mallett have eons of time to throw.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
contract extension this summer = stuck with Tomlin

Oh I agree. He's not going anywhere. We will have Tomlin in 2016. The Steelers made him one of the 3-5 highest paid coaches and extended Tomlin until 2018. All this without a playoff win in years.

We would have been much better off letting Tomlin play out the 2015 season, and seeing who's out there. There is better

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Ben played poorly no doubt. But this defense couldn't stop Ryan ******* Mallett and his band of 3rd stringers the entire game. Tomlin started Blake and Allen AGAIN. All Tomlin. Tomlin called a TO on 3rd and 12 after Ben got sacked with 48 seconds to go in the first half. It almost cost them another 3 points. Tomlin installed the pass defense that everyone in the NFL can beat now. They sat back and let Mallett have eons of time to throw.

Tomlin's forte is supposed to be the defensive backs.

His decision to stick with Blake cost us. His decision to acquire Boykin for a 5th round pick, then not play him very often was also mystifying.

And William Gay is a free agent. The Steelers usually lock up the players they want before they hit free agency. If Gay leaves, we are stuck with a group of role players best suited to be the thrid corner.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Ben just locked onto Brown, that 2nd intc he should of looked who was on bryant and Wheaton and they did a poor job of giving Villineuva help esp after the 1st half he was beat over and over.
After the game there is no way, I retain villineuva as a starter, I do everything in my power to re sign Beachum. The secondary blake goes, I try to retain Boyken and draft a CB in rnd 1 or 2. My top priority is in fa go aftter Weddle and see if any decent vet, 3-4 pass rushers or converting a 4-3 DE to push JJ.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
There is better. But if these players don't know what is at stake...

It should not take a coach to remind them of it.

If Tomlin took the FG instead of okaying a 4th down play where the pass was well behind the first down marker, we likley win this game. But he gambled and it cost us. He also did not manage the clock correctly.

A good coach puts his players in the best positon to win. Ours too often gives the players adidonal obstices to over come.

GMC

Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin isn't going anywhere.. Tomlin has some blame in the loss but..
Look at #7 if you want someone to truly blame and go back and look at Ben's numbers in those 11 games.. Something to the tune of terrible, for the most part.
Tomlin can only do so much for the players on the field, sometimes they need to be held accountable as well.

How do you propose holding Ben accountable? And whose job is it to do so?

Last edited:

Ghost of Frenchy Fuqua

Reaction score
There is better. But if these players don't know what is at stake...

It should not take a coach to remind them of it.

That's the point Stan is making - with gusto - on 970 right now. He called them "incredibly immature," which goes beyond on-field celebrations, and prancing around after a good play when they're behind.

But he's getting on Tomlin, and Butler, pretty good, too.

http://www.iheart.com/live/970-espn-2013/?autoplay=true&pname=1109&campid=play_bar&cid=index.html

Update: I've never heard Stan so pissed. He told Bryant "give back your paycheck!"

Last edited:

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Tomlin shouldnt need to get them fired up, but it is his job to keep them level headed and focused, something I don't think he can do for himself, I think he starts to hear and believe in the teams hype and it trickles down. The entire team look disinterested yesterday like they just had to walk in to the stadium and they'd win. as for the on field celebrating, Tomlin backs that, hell he's thumping his chest and pointing into cameras himself.

Ghost of Frenchy Fuqua

Reaction score
"Antwon Blake missed most of the game. No telling how bad it would've been if he had stayed in."

Good stuff.

GMC

Contributor
Reaction score
That's the point Stan is making - with gusto - on 970 right now. He called them "incredibly immature," which goes beyond on-field celebrations, and prancing around after a good play when they're behind.

I'm starting to notice that across all sports, both college and professional. It's all about me with a lot of these players anymore. Nothing like being down two scores and seeing your defense celebrating a tackle after a 25 yard gain on 2nd and 22.

mdk2

Reaction score
I'll bite. How do you propose holding Ben accountable? And whose job is it to do so?

Well we win or lose with Ben. He's one of the best when he's on.. looks bad when he's off.
Ben is considered a an elite QB by some so I expect him to show up in games like yesterday.. it didn't happen.

The coaches have blame in this like I said but no way does Tomlin get all this blame for this loss.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
No one is giving Tomlin all the blame, but this is becoming a very bad trend under him and sub.500 teams, we always show up flat and play like garbage across the board. None of us are at practice, but if Tomlin is more engaged and detailed during weeks vs good teams, but not the same vs crap teams, that's going to creep down through the rest of the roster.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Tomlin shouldnt need to get them fired up, but it is his job to keep them level headed and focused, something I don't think he can do for himself, I think he starts to hear and believe in the teams hype and it trickles down. The entire team look disinterested yesterday like they just had to walk in to the stadium and they'd win. as for the on field celebrating, Tomlin backs that, hell he's thumping his chest and pointing into cameras himself.

Where does he do this. All week Every quote from him was on Baltimore. He refused to talk about anything but the Ravens. How the hell is one coach praised for showing emotion and one is vilified. I don't understand it.

mdk2

Reaction score
No one is giving Tomlin all the blame, but this is becoming a very bad trend under him and sub.500 teams, we always show up flat and play like garbage across the board. None of us are at practice, but if Tomlin is more engaged and detailed during weeks vs good teams, but not the same vs crap teams, that's going to creep down through the rest of the roster.

Ben played poorly in pretty much all those losses to bad teams.. that's also a trend.

I don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Maybe Tomlin is helping Ben more during the games against good teams and not as much when we play bad teams.. no idea.
But I know Ben needs to play better in these types of games. The defense is not going to shut the other team down. We live and die with our offense.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

So if we don't know cause we are not there how do you say it. Monte kiffin was brought in this week to help and look at the defense yep sounds like Tomlin stayed in his office and played Madden. You know who was sitting next to him Ben. Lol.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score

Completely agree that Tomlin (and by extension the players) bought into the hype and thought they would just have to show up. They tackled badly, left wide open cushions, took too many gambles, forced too many bad passes, dropped too many good passes, etc because they didn't take the game seriously. They thought they'd just turn it on and everything would be okay just like the week before. But that's the problem - the week before, they played with purpose and desire and urgency. But you can't just turn it on if you play with no urgency. They're still professionals on the other side. That's why I believe this loss, as well as the countless others to bad teams, falls squarely on Tomlin. That is also why I believe it should cost him his job.

Even if it is the players who aren't playing with urgency or lacking attention to detail, it is his job to recognize that, refocus them, and make in-game adjustments to the game plan. For example, have Haley speed up the tempo, don't let Ben call plays, and call quick hitters to the flats or short middle since they were basically giving that away the whole game. Their entire game plan was to try to take away Ben's deep flings to WRs. But they didn't discover they could pick up chunks of yards dumping to RBs or TEs until the 4th quarter.

Every player out there except Williams played as if they already had the game won and they just had to go through the motions. I cannot blame JUST them. Why even have coaches if they aren't supposed to instill the right attitudes and make necessary game plan adjustments? These guys were clearly not in the correct head space to win this game and how that does not start and end with the head coach, I have no idea. **** Mike Tomlin. He's smart enough to let the players play loose and confidently and play their own game to get them rolling when they are at their best. But he's not smart enough to KEEP them flying high once they get there because he gets cocky and believes his own hype and starts mailing it in. I will be a happy man when we move on

GMC

Contributor
Reaction score
Well we win or lose with Ben. He's one of the best when he's on.. looks bad when he's off.

Just like any other franchise QB in the league. Did you catch the Packers game yesterday?

Ben is considered a an elite QB by some so I expect him to show up in games like yesterday.. it didn't happen.

Ben is considered elite by MOST in the league.

The coaches have blame in this like I said but no way does Tomlin get all this blame for this loss.

Very few have laid all the blame at coach T's feet, but most are getting tired of the habitual **** shows against inferior opponents and Ben is not the common denominator.

I have not and am not calling for coach's head, but Ben can only take them so far on his own. Even the best players require coaching.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Hitting your check down isn't a adjustment from the sidelines it's a read for the QB on just about every passing play..it's a read. Not open, not open, check down