• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why the defense has fallen

H

hendrickson

Great game from Tomlin's defense, expect ,more of the same since LeBeau is not here to cover his stupid ***. Hiring a guy like Butler was dumb as he is nothing but a poor man's LeBeay and too much a yes man to stand up to Tomlin like LeBeau did. Now Tomlin's fingerprints are all over the defense and using a C0ver 2 with a non existent pass rush and poor secondary players is insanity and shows Tomlin's lack of smarts.

mdk2

Reaction score
Great game from Tomlin's defense, expect ,more of the same since LeBeau is not here to cover his stupid ***. Hiring a guy like Butler was dumb as he is nothing but a poor man's LeBeay and too much a yes man to stand up to Tomlin like LeBeau did. Now Tomlin's fingerprints are all over the defense and using a C0ver 2 with a non existent pass rush and poor secondary players is insanity and shows Tomlin's lack of smarts.

It's weird how LeBeau's defenses always were gashed by Brady and company. The defense didn't look good tonight but 28pts is a lot better than what i saw in the several seasons of the past when playing the pats.

H

hendrickson

In the pouring rain. Did Brady ever complete 19 straight passes against a LeBeau defense ? The Pats had ZERO deep threats dressed tonight which makes this game even worse. We knew Brandon LeFell would not play weeks ago but hey we don't change shi t for injured players is what Tomlin said after the Packet Super Bowl when their top 3 CBs were injured.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
Because we are drafting slow and small.

Xc944

Reaction score
I think it's you who's not too swift. In this post and two others you keep saying that I used Lewis as a reference. I haven't typed his name once in this entire argument.
So is our offense better or worse under Tomlin than it was under Cowher?
Bell, Brown, Pouncey, DeCastro, Beachum, maybe Bryant when/if he gets his head screwed on right.
All Cowher guys, right? Tomlin had nothing to do with any of those drafts and developments?
Our defense is WAY worse. No disputing that.
I'm thinking that Tomlin inherited a franchise QB who'd been the most sacked in the league under Cowher and wanted to get him some protection and some weapons before his career was over. I think Tomlin was quoted as much when he was hired because of how awful the line was he inherited.
Maybe as a first year and young HC, he wanted to keep some experienced guys like LeBeau and Arians around for some tutelage and guidance. I honestly can't say for 100% certainty.
But it's clear that all our woes are squarely on Tomlin and any positives belong somewhere else.
no what coach cool shades said was there's two ways of of making your offensive line better and one of them was drafting more skill players. that was after taking mendy and sweed. The steeler should have throw the moron out on his head at that moment, just one of the many brilliant things to come out of his mouth

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
In the pouring rain. Did Brady ever complete 19 straight passes against a LeBeau defense ? The Pats had ZERO deep threats dressed tonight which makes this game even worse. We knew Brandon LeFell would not play weeks ago but hey we don't change shi t for injured players is what Tomlin said after the Packet Super Bowl when their top 3 CBs were injured.

No, but in 2013 against a LeBeau defense, all Tommy did was throw for 430+ yards and hang 55 on us, while this LeBeau defense gave up a total of 600+ yards. The points and yards total were franchise records for us......not the good kind.
But I already know your retort.
It is all Tomlin's fault. He's solely responsible for all the bad and never has anything to do with any of the good.
Brady has owned the Steelers......Cowher, Tomlin, LeBeau, and now Butler.
Paint it however you want that'll help you sleep at night.

Turbo Pig

Reaction score
Tom Brady has 17 TDs & 0 INT vs. Mike Tomlin-coached Steelers teams (since '07)

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
You can't not stop these spread offenses with a 3-4 defense the depends on blitzes to pressure the qb particularly Brady. Against Brady we primarily a two ends in the tackle position, two stand up rush ends, and 6 backs scheme and last nite it was a steaming pile of *****. You have to get Brady to step out of his "box" with pressure up the middle make him move his feet. It was like he was playing catch last nite with his receivers. It's same defense lebeau used against him. As it still stinks.

Vader

Reaction score
You can't not stop these spread offenses with a 3-4 defense the depends on blitzes to pressure the qb particularly Brady. Against Brady we primarily a two ends in the tackle position, two stand up rush ends, and 6 backs scheme and last nite it was a steaming pile of *****. You have to get Brady to step out of his "box" with pressure up the middle make him move his feet. It was like he was playing catch last nite with his receivers. It's same defense lebeau used against him. As it still stinks.

Don't the rats run a 3-4 defense? Didn't the Jets run a 3-4? What 4-3 team is beating up on the pats*****? Seattle runs a 4-3 right? Aren't they the best defense in the NFL? What happened? I guess the 4-3 sucks too?

obxsteeler

Reaction score

Brady has 6 SB's and 4 wins over his career. There are apparently a few other NFL teams who can't stop him.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
After watching the chaos in the defensive backfield Thurs, I suggest that we may have to start paying attention to what this guy is doing.

Lake_Carnell--nfl_thumb_120_80.JPG

When a QB, even a QB as accurate as Marsha can complete 18 or 19 passes in a row, someting is wong. SteelBuckeye tells me, between W. Allen, C. Allen, Gay, Mitchell, Blake, Golden and Thomas, there were ZERO passes defended recorded. If they can't tackle and they can't get close enough to a receiver to swap at the ball, then what is it exactly that they can do.

I love what Carnell Lake contributed to the Steeler's legacy and he was a favorite player of mine back when but maybe he's not as great a teacher as he was a player...jus sayin'

Last edited:

skline00

Reaction score
Woulda, coulda, shoulda doesn't matter. What matters is this. Will the defensive secondary and the defense as a whole have enough pride and toughness to show they can cover the other offense and actually get off the field before they score a TD? We can spin all the excuses we want but what I watched Thursday night was a defense that seemed to stop the run but absolutely got torched by the pass AND NOT DEEP. Frankly NE wasn't on their game as well as I thought they were and we still looked BAD. Just my observation but our D backfield looked lost, like no one knew their assignments. PS You got to tackle the opponent to stop them. Looked like a segment of Keystone Kops.

On offense, Ben can move them up and down the field (unless bonehead trick plays on 1st down result in 2nd and 18!!!!) BUT again it seems the O can't score a touchdown. What's going on? We really only scored 2 that mattered, the 3rd was in cleanup mode.

The reality is we have a new and VERY inexperienced D backfield that better man up quick or we are in for some serious problems stopping other teams from scoring BUNCHES of points. We have an O that racks up tons of yards from the 1 to the 1 but sure struugles to get TDs and Thursday even field goals.

Right now we seem on a path of a team that will score some points but the opponent will score more. OUCH. I know, I know it's early but have you seen the schedule? The Ravens, Bengals and even Browns would have torched us as bad if not worse than NE.

Walking Dead? At least they were walking.

Last edited:

Vader

Reaction score
It's a matter of talent. Allen was horrible last year. Will Allen is a dinosaur. Thomas must be god awful to not be starting. Gay is old and could never cover well on the outside. Mitchell was bad last year and is even worse this year. Blake and Golden are backup DBs not starters.

I have no idea about Boykin. Why trade for a guy that can't even start with this **** of a secondary? Is he really that bad?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
After watching the chaos in the defensive backfield Thurs, I suggest that we may have to start paying attention to what this guy is doing.

When a QB, even a QB as accurate as Marsha can complete 18 or 19 passes in a row, someting is wong. SteelBuckeye tells me, between W. Allen, C. Allen, Gay, Mitchell, Blake, Golden and Thomas, there were ZERO passes defended recorded. If they can't tackle and they can't get close enough to a receiver to swap at the ball, then what is it exactly that they can do.

I love what Carnell Lake contributed to the Steeler's legacy and he was a favorite player of mine back when but maybe he's not as great a teacher as he was a player...jus sayin'

I tend to agree.

I sure would love to know if he is the one making DB decisions if so.... just horrible.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Reading the comments on BTSC. They seem more optimistic than us. Maybe our bro's from the other hoes should join along this board to provide what they see. Cause this defense is not good

I think again a SS away from being solid along with a few youngsters growing (Shazier,Tuitt,Dupree) / having the light come on/Boykin on the field.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I think again a SS away from being solid along with a few youngsters growing (Shazier,Tuitt,Dupree) / having the light come on/Boykin on the field.

Maybe Boykin could be a difference maker. Shazier and Dupree stood out. Jarvis did ok too. And agree this team does need a safety

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

At first the DB's seemed to get better under Coach Lake And His Knee but I agree, the Pats** game was a clusterfuck and they seem to be getting worse. Whether it's coaching or lack of talent or some of both, but yeah it's been ugly last year and so far this year.

keslerclan

Reaction score
IMO, this game was NOT NEARLY as bad as it could/should have been. Sure, we ALL know MT has never fielded a team in the early season that looks polished and ready. We got that. We ALL knew the talent in the secondary had little time together and looked awful all pre-season. It looked like it too. We ALL knew the talent in the secondary is lacking ANY top tier guys. Check.

Did ANYONE EXPECT us to win in NE in this game?

The last CONFERENCE victory at NE during the regular season was Buffalo on December 28,2014. BRADY only played a half. Gronk and Edelman DNP.

The last CONFERENCE victory at NE during the regular season before that...November 30, 2008. CASSEL was the QB. THAT'S over 6 years ago!

The Cheats won ALL their games at home during the regular season against ALL conference opponents where BRADY started and finished the game going back to November 12, 2006 where they were beaten by the NYJ 17-14 at home.

Think about that for a minute...

We last played them at NE on November 3, 2013. We lost 55-31 with Brady throwing for 432 yards, 4 TDs, 0 Ints. They ALSO ran for over 190 yards.

IN THIS CONTEXT, I think we did ok. Our defense looked unprepared (as usual) and YET we still could/should have been in the game if we make 2 FGs or convert one of them to a TD.

I expect we shall see Boykin in at the 'slot' position in the near future (as Blake is not as good defending a 'shifty' smaller WR than a bigger target) Boykin could have made the difference IF he was up to speed on our defense. We are not the defense of old BUT the defense of old couldn't beat theses guys on their home turf either.

diver

Reaction score
I know we get all wound up over cheating allegations and the like.

It is time we accept that NE is just that good. It is important to note what was illustrated on the broadcast of the game Thurs. night. Brady went 13-15 for 154 yards and 2 tds in the 4th quarter of the SB against the best defense in the league. Whatever they are doing, nobody can defend it.

You have to score with them. Therefore, in this game, anyway, we should be more upset with the offense, as they were the ones that did not get the job done. They had to score 29 points, and they didn't.

keslerclan

Reaction score
Like I said, "who really thought we could beat this team in a stadium that nobody beats them in? Yet, if not for a few offensive gaffs, we were in the game. Much better than the last one up there,IMO.

The Cheats won ALL their games at home during the regular season against ALL conference opponents where BRADY started and finished the game going back to November 12, 2006 where they were beaten by the NYJ 17-14 at home.