• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why the defense has fallen

obxsteeler

Reaction score
We were never in the game, never trailed by less than 7 and trailed by 14 for most of the 4th quarter. Brady barely missed 2 wide open midget receivers for TDs. The Pats also have no fast WRs to stretch the defense with LeFell out and of course the rest of the teams we face will have this player. The fact we were torched by a pop gun armed QB with no deep threats is a huge indocrtment of our secondary.

Maybe you haven't watched much football but he's torched a hell of a lot of secondary's over the years-including the #1 NFL defense in the last SB.

keslerclan

Reaction score
We were never in the game, never trailed by less than 7 and trailed by 14 for most of the 4th quarter. Brady barely missed 2 wide open midget receivers for TDs. The Pats also have no fast WRs to stretch the defense with LeFell out and of course the rest of the teams we face will have this player. The fact we were torched by a pop gun armed QB with no deep threats is a huge indocrtment of our secondary.

Look CC, I ALREADY said I didn't THINK ANYBODY was EXPECTING our sub-par secondary to look good against Brady. No one does. He has one of the quickest releases in all of football. PLUS, he rarely throws long BECAUSE he is a dink-n-dunk QB. He threw 16 balls last year over 20 yards and connected on ONLY ONE! The OBJECTIVE is to MAKE him hold the ball and attempt to throw long....for one, he isn't good at it and two, we might be able to record a sack.

As for us being in the game...again, I stated that IF NOT for our poor red-zone showing, we would have been IN THE GAME! What are you saying? If we score on the first series, is Brady gonna come back and score 2 TDs on his next possession? Sure, he had a high percentage passing. He averaged 76% completion percentage last year when throwing under 10 yards. Our poorly prepared defense held him to 78%. He also passed for 70% in the playoffs last year.

I know, Don Meredith used to say "If ifs and buts were candies and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas".

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
It's a matter of talent. Allen was horrible last year. Will Allen is a dinosaur. Thomas must be god awful to not be starting. Gay is old and could never cover well on the outside. Mitchell was bad last year and is even worse this year. Blake and Golden are backup DBs not starters.

I have no idea about Boykin. Why trade for a guy that can't even start with this **** of a secondary? Is he really that bad?

Fear not Vader ,the panic button to play Boykin has already been pressed.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
This defense will get better through out the season. They don't play enough together in preseason to be ready for the season.
I liked Noll's preseason system better. Starters play a QTR in game 1, 2 QTRs game 2, 3 qtrs. game 3 and rest the last preseason game.

Slash#10

Reaction score
Anybody ready to move on to 49ers and have any concern with being able to contain their rushing attack?

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Some viewpoints seemed to be premature on the defense. They look like they could become rather good by year end.
They seem to be hitting harder than the last several seasons.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Some viewpoints seemed to be premature on the defense. They look like they could become rather good by year end.

Perhaps. Tuitt has emerged as a force. It seems that Cockrell, picked up as a cut player has also produced good results.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

They seem to be around the more...

Xc944

Reaction score
They played three of the worst offenses in the entire league they will get worse not better

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
They played three of the worst offenses in the entire league they will get worse not better

Shhh, the such truth needs to be made quietly