• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Will Deshaun Watson get a Ben Roethlisberger-style Punishment, or a Pass?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
When rumors surfaced that the Pittsburgh Steelers were a desired destination for Deshaun Watson, the Steelers made it clear early they were not going to pursue the embattled but talented quarterback.

The 3x Pro Bowl quarterback has been one of the league’s best in terms of production since being drafted 12th overall by the Houston Texans in 2017, but hasn’t played since the 2020 season since being accused of sexual assault and sexual misconduct. The Texans listed Watson as inactive for all of 2021, so he was still paid his full base salary of $10.5M. On March 12, a Houston grand jury chose not to indict Watson on nine criminal complaints, kicking off a controversial bidding war for his services that ended with Watson receiving a 5-year, $230M fully guaranteed contract in a trade to the Cleveland Browns.

In 2010, Ben Roethlisberger embarrassed and angered the Steelers when he was accused of sexual assault stemming from an incident on March 5 in a bar in Milledgeville, Georgia.

On April 12, Ocmulgee Circuit District Attorney Fred Bright said Roethlisberger would not face criminal charges. On April 21, Roger Goodell suspended Roethlisberger for 6 games, becoming the first player suspended under the NFL Personal Conduct Policy who was not arrested or charged with a crime. In addition, Roethlisberger was ordered to undergo a comprehensive behavioral evaluation, which barred him from attending any Steelers on-field, offseason activity (including training camp and preseason games) until he completed the evaluation and cleared by both the evaluators and Goodell.

Excerpt of letter from Goodell to Roethlisberger:

“I recognize that the allegations in Georgia were disputed and that they did not result in criminal charges being filed against you. My decision today is not based on a finding that you violated Georgia law, or on a conclusion that differs from that of the local prosecutor. That said, you are held to a higher standard as an NFL player, and there is nothing about your conduct in Milledgeville that can remotely be described as admirable, responsible, or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of our fans.”

The Steelers front office not only agreed with the suspension, they were prepared to impose sanctions as an organization.

Art Rooney II, per ESPN.com news services:

“I agree and support the decision the commissioner made today. I have made it clear to Ben that his conduct in this incident did not live up to our standards. We have made it very clear to Ben that there will be consequence for his actions, and Ben has indicated to us he is willing to accept those consequences.”

The suspension cost Roethlisberger $2.8M of his 2010 salary in addition to the NFL ordering the Steelers to remit a portion of his forfeited salary. In comparison, with a base salary of only $1M, a 6-game ban of Watson would be only $345K, which is only seven-tenths of one percent of his 2022 compensation.

Although Roethlisberger turned his life around, he never completely overcame the damage to his reputation following the allegation. Watson’s future is uncertain, but it is disconcerting that he hasn’t faced nearly the same level of scrutiny, despite 22 civil charges outstanding, and the Browns “protecting” him against forfeiting a significant amount if suspended.

It took nine days for the NFL to take formal action with Roethlisberger in 2010. Watson officially signed with the Browns on March 20, so the question are, will the inconsistent enforcement of punishment under Roger Goodell continue, or we he take swift and decisive punishment on Watson and if so, what will it look like?

Leave your thoughts below.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
With having 22 civil charges you'd think the punishment would be more severe...although, he has to wear a Cleveland Browns jersey so you have to account for that as punishment of some degree.

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
I think the punishment will be more than Ben got, at least 8 games and maybe more. Pundits ect. are speaking out about the raise and the Browns helping Watson circumvent the fiscal ramifications of a suspension. Goodell probably doesn't give a crap about the alleged crimes or the slimmyness of Watson's actions, heck Watson's a good QB and will increase viewership.

What the Rog does care about is the negative publicity concerning the shield and his image. I don't think he's happy at all about the Browns manipulating the contract to help the accused which IS garnering some revulsion around the country. As Litos mentioned in another thread, wouldn't be surprised if the NFL attempts to turn the tables on Cleveland and their expectations on when the suspension occurs.

I think Haslam pulled a Putin and underestimated the resistance and fallout.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
The cynic in me thinks it will be less harsh. He sat out a year, his new team will be punished for his suspension, marketing around high profile QB on a new team. Several issues Goodell could take into consideration for not handing down a harsh suspension.

On the other hand, it’s a bad look for the NFL and they’re likely to get called out on it if they go easy.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me he got time served and fined that (sat out) full year's salary with additional considerations of outcome for future suspension to merit the outcry of society.

Problem solved monetarily and protect future outcry in case he needs to harden the punishment.

Salute the nation

black and gold apex

Reaction score
The NFL has not addressed any of this as they continue to look the other way. Ben was not charged; no grand jury and he was suspended quickly. No 22 to women coming forward and his own lawyer said many were for sexual favors. Had them fly across country and he has been looked on as if the poor guy got a raw deal in Houston. Ben has never been able to live past this. I still question the Browns ownership and coaches how they explain this kind of money to a guy like this to their wives and daughters. The NFl will do nothing

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me he got time served and fined that (sat out) full year's salary with additional considerations of outcome for future suspension to merit the outcry of society.

Problem solved monetarily and protect future outcry in case he needs to harden the punishment.

Salute the nation
I'm not positive but I don't think the NFLPA agreement allows the NFL to fine over a certain amount. He sat out last year and was paid, suspension is the only way where salary is forfeited in addition to the union agreed upon maximum fine.

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the court of public opinion.
Not for Ben, not for Deshaun, not for any human being.
We've seen in all walks of life when we judge based purely off speculation and accusations that turn out to be unfounded.

But the NFL's discipline policy is simply an image policy.
Facts, actual laws, convictions, evidence - these things are irrelevant to Rog.
The league only cares about its image and making more money. Period. Full Stop.
This was most evidenced by the league's handling of Kaepernick.
Legally, I don't think Colin had a leg to stand on in his suit against the league.
But too much bad press, and Colin bashing the league, so they cut him a check and made him sign an NDA to shut him up forever.

I don't think they can directly punish the Browns since all this supposed stuff took place while in Houston.
But they'll find a way to "ding" both Watson and the Browns, if anything valid or of substance comes out of the civil suits and/or if Deshaun cuts multiple hush checks.

livingthrudying

Reaction score
One thing Watson has going for him is this was all in private. Not out in public like Ben was at a bar. Not saying either one is better than worse. Just a angle they may take. They may also take into consideration that he has already missed a year. The only thing that i am certain about is that there will be no rhyme or reason to what happens. The whole things seems like it is made up as they go.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score

Salute the nation
Additional edit post release of this article.

If suspended 6 games, Watson would lose just $385K.

That’s enabling not holding accountable

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
On Browns message board, one guy said the difference is Rooney isn’t there erasing Roethlisberger’s 22 counts.

Another said this:

“Didn't rape anyone, didn't assault anyone, didn't get involved in a murder cover up (Hi, Ray!), he wanted the masseuses to touch his junk. I'm sure it happens all the time. And when you get an attorney with a vendetta that promises these young massage therapists that they can get paid, then the stories start pouring in”

I don’t know what Watson did or didn’t do. I will say that I actually read the police report & official statements in 2010—many of which directly contradicted what was “reported” in media because the Roethlisberger camp wasn’t going to talk & most of the more sensational stories just could not be true as there was no way for the accuser’s friends to see what happened.

Theses ******** are so desperate to win they won’t even take the time to look at what he’s accused of, which is pathetic

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
One thing Watson has going for him is this was all in private. Not out in public like Ben was at a bar. Not saying either one is better than worse. Just a angle they may take. They may also take into consideration that he has already missed a year. The only thing that i am certain about is that there will be no rhyme or reason to what happens. The whole things seems like it is made up as they go.
In Ben’s case, the accusers friends who said outrageous things like he dragged her by hair to bathroom door, had a guard at the door, and even claiming to have seen it locked were just plain made up.

It was in a private room thus impossible for them to verify anything they claim to have seen.

His actions that night—not defending. But I’ve worked security at clubs before & will say that the dumbest things were the decisions they all made.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
My guess is he gets the same suspension Ben got, if not less.
Will he have to meet with Roger multiple times?

Will he have to undergo behavioral therapy before he can join team?

He’s already been rewarded & his money protected. It’s not gonna end well.

fedderone

Contributor
Reaction score
On Browns message board, one guy said the difference is Rooney isn’t there erasing Roethlisberger’s 22 counts.

Another said this:

“Didn't rape anyone, didn't assault anyone, didn't get involved in a murder cover up (Hi, Ray!), he wanted the masseuses to touch his junk. I'm sure it happens all the time. And when you get an attorney with a vendetta that promises these young massage therapists that they can get paid, then the stories start pouring in”

I don’t know what Watson did or didn’t do. I will say that I actually read the police report & official statements in 2010—many of which directly contradicted what was “reported” in media because the Roethlisberger camp wasn’t going to talk & most of the more sensational stories just could not be true as there was no way for the accuser’s friends to see what happened.

Theses ******** are so desperate to win they won’t even take the time to look at what he’s accused of, which is pathetic
Does this shock you?
It’s homerism at its purest.
When it’s “our guy” I’ll justify it / make excuses.
When it’s our rival’s guy, throw the book at the criminal.
He does make somewhat credible statements.
Were a lot of kids molested by priests? Yep.
Was it ALL these adults claiming it today because they went to a catholic school and see the checks getting cut? Nope.
I’m withholding judgement until everything comes to light, if ever and/or all plays out.
Did something nefarious happen with 1-2 of these women? Maybe/Probably.
Did the exact same thing happen to all 22 of them? Doubtful/Highly unlikely.
Minimum, in my opinion, one of these just women want to get paid the life changing amount the lawyer promised.

fedderone

Contributor
Reaction score
Will he have to meet with Roger multiple times?

Will he have to undergo behavioral therapy before he can join team?

He’s already been rewarded & his money protected. It’s not gonna end well.
I think Rog is egotistical and proud.
He’s not going to let the Clowns circumvent his justice.
He’ll figure a way to show Clowns/Watson don’t escape Shield Justice.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Fack Roger Goodell. He never does anything the same. Personally, until Watson is charged and convicted w/ a crime(s); he's innocent until proven guilty...

Definately of any illeagal FAULT he is inocent until proven guilty but the "rog" isn't about the leagal system (BEN is proof of that) as he is about the tarnish of the shield. Rog's hands are tied, activist for women are NOT going to sit idle and let watson or nfl off the hook. The NFL will have to do something and it best be G-R-A-N-D enough to appease those protesting..

I can see this blowing up to protest(s) outside stadiums.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Additional edit post release of this article.

If suspended 6 games, Watson would lose just $385K.

That’s enabling not holding accountable

I read that as well and BEN lost around 2.7 mil I think. and his contract was less than 1/2 of watson's.

Salute the nation

Skott

Contributor
Reaction score
Watson paid people and got sexual favors… sounds like prostitution to me

Stewey

Reaction score
Fack Roger Goodell. He never does anything the same. Personally, until Watson is charged and convicted w/ a crime(s); he's innocent until proven guilty...

You are a little confused. He is not being charged for crimes. All 22 cases are civil cases (torts). The criminal charges being dismissed gave teams the green light to try and pursue him.
You cannot be imprisoned or fined for committing a tort. The punishment is compensation for those you harmed.
There are numerous specific torts including trespass, assault, battery, negligence, products liability, and intentional infliction of emotional distress

Recall the OJ Simpson case when the murderer got off skot free. He still had to face civil lawsuits.

GILBERT

Reaction score
I could be TOTALLY wrong on this, but wasn't Watson inactivated all last year at the choice of the Texans?

I thought I heard on one of the broadcasts (again could be wrong), that he could be activated by Houston, but that's when the league could/would have then instituted any discipline/suspension?

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I could be TOTALLY wrong on this, but wasn't Watson inactivated all last year at the choice of the Texans?

I thought I heard on one of the broadcasts (again could be wrong), that he could be activated by Houston, but that's when the league could/would have then instituted any discipline/suspension?

If activated more than likely he would have been put on the commissioner's list which is a temporary suspension and not counting the player towards the 53 roster but protected to the team.

I'm pretty sure Watson received full pay for last year as I think the Texan's listed him inactive.

Salute the nation

FordFairLane

Reaction score
He should face a 6 game suspension for every allegation if Goodell wants to be consistent. But Watson has privilege that Roethlisberger did not. My guess is probably 0 games with a maximum of 2.