• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Will Deshaun Watson get a Ben Roethlisberger-style Punishment, or a Pass?

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Part of me is cool with the six weeks because it could be thought that the league learned from the Ben nonsense decisions.

Part of me knows that it's the nfl we are talking about, so the decision was totally random and makes no sense, or sense that we don't want it to make.

There is no telling.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Every player, owner, business partner and stakeholder deserves to know that our process is legitimate and will not be tarnished based on the whims of the League office.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Watson hasn't taken a snap since 2020, where he went 4-12.
By the time he plays again, it will be 20-22 months from that historic season.

I get that he is a talent but am confident the Stains will beat that out of him.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
How isn't Twitter on fire after this fiasco?

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Nflpa negotiated it last CBA
Ok fair enough. As usual the Steelers get screwed multiple times and then they change the rules too late.
But to be clear Ridley got a full season in arbitration for gambling on the NFL while he was on mental health leave. Is that correct?

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
6 games is a joke no matter how you look at it. Apparently, the NFL does NOT have a "conduct detrimental to the league" rule anymore. If they did, this would have to be at least a full-year suspension with the Texans getting a huge fine and the loss of multiple No. 1 picks. Handing things off to an arbiter means they will not look at NFL rules and conduct policies.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
6 games is a joke no matter how you look at it. Apparently, the NFL does NOT have a "conduct detrimental to the league" rule anymore. If they did, this would have to be at least a full-year suspension with the Texans getting a huge fine and the loss of multiple No. 1 picks. Handing things off to an arbiter means they will not look at NFL rules and conduct policies.

I hear yaz TDX27.

I tend to wonder had this "Arbitrarie Panel" been in affect back in BEN's ordeal what would have that suspension been? I tend to think near the same due to the puplicity of it. At that time you never heard of such a thing ( I know the media blew it up).

The Media seems to be "SILENT" on this Watson matter and that seems to be a little swept under the rug to me. WHY is that................?

Salute the nation

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone explain why this was an arbitrator's decision and not Heir Goodell's?
Nflpa negotiated it last CBA
Arbitration by independent counsel (the judge) with appeal handled by the Commish, or someone he assigns (Troy Vincent). This was part of that CBA decision. Additionally, had there been no disciplinary suspension or fine, no appeal is allowed.

What escapes me is how is CLE not fined, or even HOU, they settled pretty quick with all the accusers so as to get Watson off their team.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Appears they now found their logo.

5129-D898-FE65-4-C47-B62-C-45535-C72-F1-CF-thumb-png-c654b7f0595de364c7f1764ac0086961.png
Inaccurate no finger is massaging the buttholio.

livingthrudying

Reaction score
I said it earlier. This was never going to be a serious punishment. Once an NFL team was dragged into the spotlight for helping in this it was going to be soft. If they go hard at Watson then you have to include the Texans. Who knows how much dirt he can let out on them in regards to this? Then you have an NFL team complicit and you have to drop the hammer on them and that hurts the league way more than any bad press from anything regarding Watson. Notice how fast the Texans settled their suits in all this. It was extremely fast. If any NFL team was dragged thru the mud in something like this it would open the flood gates to all kinds of things. Congress would be all over the NFL and it could potentially change the entire landscape of the league. Just imagine the loss of the antitrust exemptions and all kinds of other stuff that could become involved.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
The judge ruled based on NFL precedent and the CBA. Reading the entire decision was interesting, and the NFL can appeal it, but will they?

Mr. Watson is hereby suspended for six (6) regular-season games without pay. Although
this is the most significant punishment ever imposed on an NFL player for allegations of
non-violent sexual conduct,

52 Mr. Watson’s pattern of conduct is more egregious than

any before reviewed by the NFL.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
BEN ROETHLISBERGER was suspended 6 games But lowered to 4 because he kept his mouth shut. 2- unproven alligations and NO arrest or court proceedings.

UN- ****-ing real

Salute the nation

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Where are all the females journalists who are quick to lecture us on woke issues yet are silent on this.

Stewey

Reaction score
The judge ruled based on NFL precedent and the CBA. Reading the entire decision was interesting, and the NFL can appeal it, but will they?

Mr. Watson is hereby suspended for six (6) regular-season games without pay. Although
this is the most significant punishment ever imposed on an NFL player for allegations of
non-violent sexual conduct, Mr. Watson’s pattern of conduct is more egregious than any before reviewed by the NFL.
Something does smell funny about that. Making her ruling based on NFL precedent then adding .."Mr. Watsons nonviolent sexual conduct being the most egregious ever". As if to say the NFL has her blessing should they decide to file an appeal.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Something does smell funny about that. Making her ruling based on NFL precedent then adding .."Mr. Watsons nonviolent sexual conduct being the most egregious ever". As if to say the NFL has her blessing should they decide to file an appeal.

WATSON should be kissing the ground and the "Judge's" *** she walks and poops from.

Appeal............ if Watson's team is stupid enough to appeal then let the thunder come down in media attention and women's rights activists.

This "sentencing is a chrismass in july present" so **** Watson and the ****-ing NFL.

Salute the nation

Stewey

Reaction score
WATSON should be kissing the ground and the "Judge's" *** she walks and poops from.

Appeal............ if Watson's team is stupid enough to appeal then let the thunder come down in media attention and women's rights activists.

This "sentencing is a chrismass in july present" so **** Watson and the ****-ing NFL.

Salute the nation
True except that Watsons team has no intention of appealing the 6 game suspension if that's what you mean.
They have stated however that they would sue the NFL if they appealed for a longer sentence for Watson.