• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Will Deshaun Watson get a Ben Roethlisberger-style Punishment, or a Pass?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
True except that Watsons team has no intention of appealing the 6 game suspension if that's what you mean.
They have stated however that they would sue the NFL if they appealed for a longer sentence for Watson.

The NFL isn't going to appeal anything, they want this thing to go away........................ silence is their friend

Salute the nation

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
** BREAKING NEWS **

Ben Roethlisberger has filed an appeal on the behalf of the NFL.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm hearing that a 12 game suspension would be better than a year because it would really screw the browns' cap for next year. :confused:

Skott

Contributor
Reaction score
So is the NFL looking for a longer suspension.?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
So is the NFL looking for a longer suspension.?
That is what I am seeing. They probably would like a year but would settle for 8 and a bigger fine.

Skott

Contributor
Reaction score
Or it’s the NFLs way of trying to save face with womens rights groups..

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Or it’s the NFLs way of trying to save face with womens rights groups..
this all looks previously set up

Would anything surprise you..........................................

The NFL has the influence whether the CBA says so or not, don't be fooledfor one second.

Salute the nation

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
This is like a circus. The NFL is trying to get a year, and the NFLPA is a suing the NFL for appealing

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
This is like a circus. The NFL is trying to get a year, and the NFLPA is a suing the NFL for appealing
Yeah, and the NFLPA will lose suing the NFL. They Collectively Bargained the process. Independent arbitrator to rule/levy any fine or suspension. If no fine or suspension, then there can be no appeal. If there is, then the side who appeal, must allow the other side (in this case the NFLPA) 3 days to provide a response. As a reminder, the NFLPA said they would accept the arbitrator’s rule for the 6 games suspension and not appeal, and requested the league to do the same. However, the league is appealing as it wants a much longer suspension and a fine (either to Watson or CLE FO). Goodell handles all appeals and can designate an intermediary. Again this was signed off by the NFLPA in the last CBA.

Case in point, if I were Watson, I wouldn't allow the NFLPA sue. If that happens, then the whole process goes to litigation with an injunction on any decision and Watson will be allowed to play pending the outcome. The league can then toll the decision until after the end of the 2022 season, at which time Watson’s suspension could include a fine on his 2023 salary ($40+ million), instead of his 2022 $58k per game check.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, and the NFLPA will lose suing the NFL. They Collectively Bargained the process. Independent arbitrator to rule/levy any fine or suspension. If no fine or suspension, then there can be no appeal. If there is, then the side who appeal, must allow the other side (in this case the NFLPA) 3 days to provide a response. As a reminder, the NFLPA said they would accept the arbitrator’s rule for the 6 games suspension and not appeal, and requested the league to do the same. However, the league is appealing as it wants a much longer suspension and a fine (either to Watson or CLE FO). Goodell handles all appeals and can designate an intermediary. Again this was signed off by the NFLPA in the last CBA.

Case in point, if I were Watson, I wouldn't allow the NFLPA sue. If that happens, then the whole process goes to litigation with an injunction on any decision and Watson will be allowed to play pending the outcome. The league can then toll the decision until after the end of the 2022 season, at which time Watson’s suspension could include a fine on his 2023 salary ($40+ million), instead of his 2022 $58k per game check.

Great Post Ike, thank you

I might add it's sort of a catch 22 for Watson, emotionally he was high then low but now probably confused.

He thought / hoped he was in the clear and then the appeal process comes into play. I think his money is going to be affected one way or another. The NFL wants some of it and also wants to flex their clout over everyone. There is no way the "rog" is going to let that contract that was designed to skirt the fine, be left alone and valad without penalty down the line.

Cleveland needs a kick in the pants as well,........ if not for anything other than being Cleveland.

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Seems like the NFL wants a year and a fine. I would assume the two sides will work out a deal at this point.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...st-ben-roethlisbergers-in-2010-during-appeal/

( Go to Depot for the full story)

This should go over well with Steelernation.

I know that site has been blocked anywho it talks about the Watson camp planning to use Big Ben's case in defense.

Good luck with that.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The NFL wants a year but all they can look at is what the judge looked at. WTF?!?! Why aren't all 20+ women included in this? This is the biggest joke. The NFL won't get anymore than the 6.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The NFL isn't going to appeal anything, they want this thing to go away........................ silence is their friend

Salute the nation

clearly I was ill visioned

NFL NETWORK reports NFL is appealing. More to follow.

Not the first time I was wrong and won't be the last time either,.......... maybe this statement of me being wrong is wrong.............

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

FatsHolmes

Reaction score
The NFL wants a year but all they can look at is what the judge looked at. WTF?!?! Why aren't all 20+ women included in this? This is the biggest joke. The NFL won't get anymore than the 6.
The judge is out of it. If the NFL contests the current guidelines, they get to pick who judges it. In fact the CBA specifically says that it would be the commissioner or his designee. Basically, Gooddell gets to decide. The NFL can get what they want. They just have to be careful that they don't overstep into something that the union will legally challenge - in which chase there would be a stay put on the entire suspension and our Watson actually play in the beginning of the season until the court case is decided.

GMC

Contributor
Reaction score

( Go to Depot for the full story)

This should go over well with Steelernation.

I know that site has been blocked anywho it talks about the Watson camp planning to use Big Ben's case in defense.

Good luck with that.
I didn't read the article. If they want to talk precedent, 2 accusations=6 games/4 with good behavior. I believe there were 24 in this case; by my math that's 72 games, possibly reduced to 48.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The judge is out of it. If the NFL contests the current guidelines, they get to pick who judges it. In fact the CBA specifically says that it would be the commissioner or his designee. Basically, Gooddell gets to decide. The NFL can get what they want. They just have to be careful that they don't overstep into something that the union will legally challenge - in which chase there would be a stay put on the entire suspension and our Watson actually play in the beginning of the season until the court case is decided.
They can go for what they want, which is a year but per the article I read, they can only use the evidence the judge saw when she made her decision. Why she only looked at 4 or 6 (can't recall the exact number) of the allegations and not all of them even if they came in later, is just mind-boggling. That's why I always said (before we knew these ludicrous rules) that the suspension should be indefinite with a year minimum in case more allegations and evidence came out. More women came forward and the Texans organizations involvement came to light.

madinsomniac

Reaction score

Cleveland fully intends to renegotiate next year’s contract to 1 million salary again and push it out more… they have this intricate plan… if the nfl suspends him into next year they are royally ******