• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Will the Steelers running game improve next season?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
By: CJ Lester SteelerNation.com   The Pittsburgh Steelers 2019 running game wasn’t the best by any means. For the team’s record to improve and in order to get the end result we all want (which is holding up our 7th Lombardi trophy), the offense’s running game has to improve from a season ago. Did the […]
The post Will the Steelers running game improve next season? appeared first on SteelerNation.com.

More...

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Simply having Ben back with a legit passing attack so teams can't put 8 or 9 men in the box means an improved running game. So, yes, I think the running game will improve significantly, especially if Connor is healthy as well.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully it will, a healthy Ben and James will help. Downside is that the line is getting older, and will the loss of Foster mean anything?
Fortunately they get to play the Bungles twice to boost the stats.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully it will, a healthy Ben and James will help. Downside is that the line is getting older, and will the loss of Foster mean anything?
Fortunately they get to play the Bungles twice to boost the stats.

One other downside is RB by committee is only a Media Based conclusion. Tomlin is notorious to "run E'M till the wheels fall off" so if he lives up to history, Conner will be injured again and next man up till injury, on down the line.

Now if Coach Tomlin (Fitchner) have a better sense then they may get a little relief to the RBs when needed. RB by committee doesn't work but RB while an occasional spell will. Flow of the game (in game adjustments, another weak spot of the coaching staff) is what's needed as to RB roulette.

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
One other downside is RB by committee is only a Media Based conclusion. Tomlin is notorious to "run E'M till the wheels fall off" so if he lives up to history, Conner will be injured again and next man up till injury, on down the line.

Now if Coach Tomlin (Fitchner) have a better sense then they may get a little relief to the RBs when needed. RB by committee doesn't work but RB while an occasional spell will. Flow of the game (in game adjustments, another weak spot of the coaching staff) is what's needed as to RB roulette.

Salute the nation
And as important as distribution of the football between the RBs is solving Fosters starting open G position. That probably will be an early season week in and week out issue until some sort of cohesion is established. Might be some heavy protect schemes starting out of the gates. Which would benefit Watt, Claypool, Washington,Juju, McDonald and the T eligible.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
.......slash, I agree on the T-elgible but they need to use it and actually get him the ball one in a great while. Last season I saw two different times Banner was standing there with his thumb up his *** as the defender just blew by him with no respect. Imagine an actual play design for Banner to catch a pass. I GAURANTEE the "D" will keep a better eye and tie him up a little more and isn't that the main thing of a T-elgible is to have an extra body to block...........?

Who knows,....... Maybe we can hear John Madden's favorite line "I love it when a fat man score"

Salute the nation

bigben

Reaction score
The 2019 Steelers rushed for 100 yards once, to a winless Miami team. Conner rushed for over 50 yards in just 2 games.
Could it get any worse?? Those have to be records for an NFL starting RB

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
The 2019 Steelers rushed for 100 yards once, to a winless Miami team. Conner rushed for over 50 yards in just 2 games.

Those are some Walter Abercrombie numbers right there!

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

Salute the nation

**** that. If Conner is hot keep him in. I'm not saying not to spell him at times but if he the guy then go with him.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Conner is very motivated upset re contract has tanked up his frame, with his brusing running style it should help his durability and has made it clear he only wants to stay in Pitt time will tell if he has a solid year and when offered short term hometown discount deal.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I really like the James Conner story and he does train hard. When healthy he's good outside of the fumbles. Players tend to play well in their contract years, so my short answer is the running game will be better this coming season. The OL however...major issues on the the horizon.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
I think with the depth Samuals and Edmund's are the on a big bubble, Samuals yes it was a poor OL but barley showed anything as a runner with McFarland the same dump passes and swings can be thrown to McFarland Conner and Whyte and all 3 have much better play making skills and burners to turn them into big chunk gains.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If Connor and Ben stay healthy this year, I see Connor putting up 1,500+ from scrimmage.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score

And they are directly attributable to the poor play calling and sets of Randy Sphincter. QB play did not help but again I attribute a lot of those issues to terrible plays and predictable formations.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

bigben

Reaction score
And they are directly attributable to the poor play calling and sets of Randy Sphincter. QB play did not help but again I attribute a lot of those issues to terrible plays and predictable formations.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Those were definitely factors but there is no excuse for numbers like that when you are suppose to be top 32 in the world??

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
**** that. If Conner is hot keep him in. I'm not saying not to spell him at times but if he the guy then go with him.

HHmmmmmm BIZARO-WORLD as I think that's pretty much what I was sayiN. Either way I think we are both saying the near same thing.

Awesome you are

Salute the nation