• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Win Now, or Win Later?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
To win now, or win later; this is the constant question in today’s NFL. However as we’ve learned through recent history, there is no gray area with this. To win a championship, teams must decide to EITHER win today, OR win tomorrow. Most teams have addressed this question and have embraced their answer (see Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Miami Dolphins, Buffalo Bills, Los Angeles Rams, etc.). But this question remains unanswered in Pittsburgh and the anxiety is mounting. Where do we go from here?

The Pittsburgh Steelers are one of the most successful franchises in sports. I mean, three head coaches in 52 years, eight Super Bowl appearances, six championships, and 24 division championships all in that time frame; there is obviously something to be said for that. But, hidden in these years is the constant paradigm of “win now or win later”. More recently since Super Bowl XLV, the Steelers have seemingly been lost in this. This is evident from the multiple winning seasons, yet a 3-6 record in the playoffs. This may boil down to the fact that the Steelers simply don’t know what to do and have just been sweeping this question under the rug. From what I can see, they are sticking with the “it’s worked so far, why change it?” mentality. Well, it was just a matter of time when the Steelers were forced to change; now in the way of meeting new salary cap restrictions while navigating a pivotal free agency market and upcoming NFL Draft. The chickens are coming home to roost.

I may be pessimistic, but evidence has shown the Steelers need the “win later” answer for us. Just look at the history leading up to the 1970’s dynasty. Between 1965 and 1971, the Steelers had seven consecutive losing seasons resulting in a 25-70-3 overall record. But what followed is what Steelers fans remember; and this is what the new Steelers have to emulate in the coming seasons. What this means is, play with the cards they’re dealt. Yes, I’m saying let some expensive players walk, such as maybe Bud Dupree, James Conner, Cam Sutton, Mike Hilton, or Alejandro Villanueva, and rebuild around the young players (see T.J. Watt, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Devin Bush, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Chase Claypool) through the coming drafts. The Steelers’ drafts of 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, and 1974 provide the blueprint for this strategy and have proven to be successful. We already know our fearless field general, Ben Roethlisberger, is set to return for one final ride in 2021 at a discount. With Roethlisberger helping the young players develop in a new offense, paired with a new offensive line coming in 2021, this sets the stage for an easy transition after 2021. In Pittsburgh where winning is customary, this may be an unpopular opinion; but this is what the Steelers need to plan for in 2021.

Prepare for the Great Transition of 2021.

The Rooney’s, and all of Pittsburgh, must be ready for several “questionable” seasons ahead. There is no doubt it is going to be a tough, weird stretch. But as history has shown us, this is the formula to winning championships in Pittsburgh, and cultivating one of the most prestigious franchises in all of sports.

Here. We. Go.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Win now and win later is always the Steelers plan. Our biggest problem with winning is going to be the transition when Ben retires. Ben still, by far, gives us our best chance to win a championship. When he leaves, the Steelers will still put good players on the field but it will still come down to who is playing QB and if they can help lead us to a championship or not. Many of us saw the Steelers attempt to do that between Bradshaw and Ben with no results. We got close but most years we were terrible. Hopefully, we can find a legit starting QB and quickly, otherwise, the rest of the team won't matter as much. It's a team game but the QB is still the most important player on the field.

We have actually been drafting well recently and have picked up a couple of decent and even potentially great (Minkah) free agents. If we keep that up, it won't take long to reboot (since we never ditch all our players for draft picks and rebuild) and find a legit QB.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
would agree that you are pessimistic. The defense is too good to waste. If they can get average run blocking from the OL this team can win......

Hoot

Contributor
Reaction score
This is what FA gave us. The NFL built it and teams have to live within it. Overall, I think it is fair to say that the Steelers have done a pretty good job overall as we are, for the most part, in contention for the playoffs most years. Of course, us Steeler fans are a little spoiled in this and want/expect Championships. I am good with that and share the desire so not complaining, just offering contrast with teams like DET or CLE (until this year) or MIA over the last 20years. I don't agree with all the decisions the team makes, but overall they have been with the idea of winning this year without destroying future years.

That said, this isn't really about win now/win later, it is about the inevitable break up with an epic player in the most important position on the field - QB. I think there was a plan in place and then Ben's elbow blew up. Follow that up with the financial realities associated with the pandemic and you get where we are now...the need to rework the plan. But, the breakup was always going to happen from the day BB was drafted. I have said many times I am not looking forward to that day because the post Ben era may well be painful. For anyone who did not live the post Bradshaw years, well, all I can say is buckle up for the ride. Franchise QB's don't grow on trees.

I do believe they are trying to put together a championship team in 21 without selling out the future. Alas, sometimes negative **** happens. A pandemic happened and teams have to adapt. Sadly, for us it happened at the same time we are dealing with Ben's contract situation. Had it not, our situation likely not as bad. Go back a few years and we had to deal with Shaz's injury. If that doesn't happen, we would not have moved up for Bush...what player(s) might we have had instead? Dumfuq (AB) happened and cost us 20M one year. What could have happened if it didnt?

Yes, some teams go spend in FA for one big year. NYJ did that every year the first few years of FA back in the 90's. TB did it smartly this year and it paid off but it could have easily blown up with a single injury to TB. And, it isn't like they were lighting it up all year - they got hot after their bye week. All said and done, I like the Steeler Way from a strategic perspective even if I don't always like the tactical decisions.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Neither! win now or win later will happen as long as Tomlin is running the ship. Sorry but the facts of being mediocre and that being acceptable.
This is 100% on. Everyone is busy bitching about Ben, the Oline, the rb, the OC, etc. This is the biggest issue with this team. He's not a very good coach, especially when he tried to get involved in to many different aspects of the game.

steelhurt

Reaction score
This is 100% on. Everyone is busy bitching about Ben, the Oline, the rb, the OC, etc. This is the biggest issue with this team. He's not a very good coach, especially when he tried to get involved in to many different aspects of the game.
There’s a lot to be unpacked when it comes to Tomlin that’s for damn sure. I’ve always wondered how Ben’s career would have turned out had Cowher remained. In his only three seasons with Ben we had an AFCCG and a super bowl win and of course the letdown season in Cowher’s last year here. Tomlin imo is simply a very average coach that does absolutely nothing well. Never more evident that the collapse last season when he failed to have Fitchner and Ben adjust the gameplan. Some remarks made by Tomlin have always concerned me. To quote Tomlin; “I wasn’t hired to manage the clock” and “We don’t make adjustments, the players are given the the game plan and it’s up to them to execute it”. That says it all to me. My observation is that if Ben comes back then he cannot be pumping the ball 40 plus times a game. We have to fix this OL and run game and balance this offense. If we can’t do that I would expect an ugly 2021 season on offense and waste a good defense.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
There’s a lot to be unpacked when it comes to Tomlin that’s for damn sure. I’ve always wondered how Ben’s career would have turned out had Cowher remained. In his only three seasons with Ben we had an AFCCG and a super bowl win and of course the letdown season in Cowher’s last year here. Tomlin imo is simply a very average coach that does absolutely nothing well. Never more evident that the collapse last season when he failed to have Fitchner and Ben adjust the gameplan. Some remarks made by Tomlin have always concerned me. To quote Tomlin; “I wasn’t hired to manage the clock” and “We don’t make adjustments, the players are given the the game plan and it’s up to them to execute it”. That says it all to me. My observation is that if Ben comes back then he cannot be pumping the ball 40 plus times a game. We have to fix this OL and run game and balance this offense. If we can’t do that I would expect an ugly 2021 season on offense and waste a good defense.
Yep, there's so many instances to list, but the one of the most obvious was the game in Buffalo, going into halftime, Bills up 9-7, their coach says there's alot of adjustments they need to make, Tomlin says no adjustments just lack of execution. Buffalo comes out with an emphasis on hitting their RB out of the backfield and getting Diggs opened, both killed us.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Tomlin is the head coach who allowed a scheme for his old QB coming off elbow surgery to throw 50+ times a game and have zero ground game.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Win later? We have HOF QB who isn't all jacked up. He needs to be hitting it.

We went a long time between Bradshaw to Ben. You go with the guy who has taken been to 3 superbowls and won 2.

Later could be a very long time with no shot. Great quarterbacks are not a dime a dozen. I can't tell you how seasons I knew before the start of the season we had zero chance of winning a championship. That was because of the quarterback.

You know what I see the problem as? The coaches. So many wasted years for the lack of teaching and preparing.

Just wait until we get a subpar qb in. You'll get your losing seasons then. Just look at how many quarterbacks get drafted high round 1 and never amount to ****. Never win a championship.

If not for Ben, the Steelers would still be sitting at 4 superbowls wondering if we would ever get that one for the thumb.

Put the chips on 7 and let it ride. It's your highest probability to win.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
Tomlin is the head coach who allowed a scheme for his old QB coming off elbow surgery to throw 50+ times a game and have zero ground game.
yep, and got badly out coached by a team that couldn't hold in person meetings and had 1 practice prior to the playoff game, and was missing almost their entire Oline.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Well look at John Elway or Peyton Manning in their last years. Super bowl winning QB's. What did their team have?

A top defense? So do we.
A top GM . So do we.
A good ground game? We do not at the moment.
A good coaching staff? Well, not exactly.

To continue the train of thought, draft N Harris, and some OL players early. A TE would can block could really help too. Soon we can have a good ground game.

Then make Ben more of a game manager who does throw deep, and we too can have the formula.

Personally I think this team is finished. The schedule is brutal. We are going to lose many quality free agents. Colbert must have a very good draft, not just a good draft.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Tomlin won't even come out of hiding and step up for a QB that went threw the ringer to even get back this past year. Then Tomlin game plan was what throw throw and throw. Tomlin has brought in how many running backs and none have proved they are worth it. The offensive line was just terrible in the running game. Tomlin eve mention about some receivers inability to catch the ball consistent , yet Ben is the bad guy. Only Steeler fans seem to be educated in the fact Tomlin and his coaches have tanked in December and January with his game plans. So the win now attitude is more on coaching in todays game than all on Ben. We say we have a good defense but the injuries of key players finally stood out in the last few games and especially the Brown's game. This coming year is really a coin flip, what kind of team and the schedule will be interesting who shows up. Will this be the year Rooney II finally cleans his glasses and sees what is going on.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Tomlin won't even come out of hiding and step up for a QB that went threw the ringer to even get back this past year. Then Tomlin game plan was what throw throw and throw. Tomlin has brought in how many running backs and none have proved they are worth it. The offensive line was just terrible in the running game. Tomlin eve mention about some receivers inability to catch the ball consistent , yet Ben is the bad guy. Only Steeler fans seem to be educated in the fact Tomlin and his coaches have tanked in December and January with his game plans. So the win now attitude is more on coaching in todays game than all on Ben. We say we have a good defense but the injuries of key players finally stood out in the last few games and especially the Brown's game. This coming year is really a coin flip, what kind of team and the schedule will be interesting who shows up. Will this be the year Rooney II finally cleans his glasses and sees what is going on.
Unless we draft an impact player ( Harris ) , this is a 8-8 type of year.. Free agency losses, a brutal schedule and Tomlin at the helm? Sure things will work out for us.
It hasn't for10 years...with much better talent in their prime.