• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

World Cup Thread

Lmob0621

Reaction score
I will be watching a ton of the world cup with my soccer-starved kids over the next month, so I will post some stuff in here... maybe one or two others will too..

I picked Brazil, Germany, Argentina, and Spain as my final four originally... I replaced Spain with Uruguay today in a bracket predictor on ESPN but I like my original final four better...and I have Argentina winning it all in both... Messi on the South American continent will finally come through playing for the Albicelestes.

Anybody else have any predictions... kickoff is within the hour...

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I have Brazil-Germany and Spain-Argentina. I predicted with Argentina over Brazil just because I don't like Brazil, but hope for a Germany-Spain final instead. Of course, I will be heavily rooting for the U.S. and Italy.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Already an embarrassingly bad call on a flop gave Brazil a PK which basically game winner. Still time left to play, but an awful start for the officials.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
my prediction was Argentina - Brazil in the finals.

Today's penalty was a thing of shame, I mean I'm a huge football (the original, european kind of football) fan and watching that flop was very depressing cause there you can see the referee was pressured before the game to call it in favor of Brazil, and that's how the rest of the world sees this sport: Like a bunch of floppers and fixed games.

Papa Lazarou

Reaction score
I have got to go with La Albiceleste winning it all.

My semi-final brackets: Chile v Germany and Argentina v Spain with Germany v Argentina in the final.

Lmob0621

Reaction score
The foul disparity in the first game was about as wide as it could get as well... unfortunately, it was not surprising.

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
Already an embarrassingly bad call on a flop gave Brazil a PK which basically game winner. Still time left to play, but an awful start for the officials.

Well, I gave it a quick try and watched the game yesterday. First game and I'm already out...to call a penalty kick on something so silly just kills the whole soccer thing for people in the US. I can't devote time to watching that when a ref can give a game away. You have replay...you have real-time replay to filter BS like that where someone upstairs could have killed the PK. Yeah, no thanks.

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
yet you possibly watch the NFL, NHL, MLB, and the NBA?

Soccer is a different animal where 0-0 scores are normal...a bad call WILL determine a game. All other sports outside of game ending calls can be overcome.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I gave it a quick try and watched the game yesterday. First game and I'm already out...to call a penalty kick on something so silly just kills the whole soccer thing for people in the US. I can't devote time to watching that when a ref can give a game away. You have replay...you have real-time replay to filter BS like that where someone upstairs could have killed the PK. Yeah, no thanks.

time doesn't stop in this sport, you can't change the nature of a sport, then you'll see tv timeouts, coaches timeouts and the game will be endless (like the last minutes of a basketball game which is such a momentum killer)

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
time doesn't stop in this sport, you can't change the nature of a sport, then you'll see tv timeouts, coaches timeouts and the game will be endless (like the last minutes of a basketball game which is such a momentum killer)

I mean between the time the guy is twisting on the ground for 5 minutes when any player basically touches another and placing the ball for the kick. The clock still runs like always, deny the kick and just put into added time like any other situation.

Lmob0621

Reaction score
I will be watching a ton of the world cup with my soccer-starved kids over the next month, so I will post some stuff in here... maybe one or two others will too..

I picked Brazil, Germany, Argentina, and Spain as my final four originally... I replaced Spain with Uruguay today in a bracket predictor on ESPN but I like my original final four better...and I have Argentina winning it all in both... Messi on the South American continent will finally come through playing for the Albicelestes.

Anybody else have any predictions... kickoff is within the hour...

I'm thinking I had a good idea to replace them now... oh well...

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking I had a good idea to replace them now... oh well...

spain started last World Cup losing against a very weak Swiss team, yesterday they got bricked in their face by a very efficient Netherlands team but it doesn't mean they can't turn it up and be contenders, I have them getting to quarter finals

Lmob0621

Reaction score
spain started last World Cup losing against a very weak Swiss team, yesterday they got bricked in their face by a very efficient Netherlands team but it doesn't mean they can't turn it up and be contenders, I have them getting to quarter finals

The team I replaced them with lost to Costa Rica...lol... I still think Spain will make it thrum... but now they will have a tougher road to the semis and would have to face one of my other semifinal teams

Lmob0621

Reaction score
Portugal gets hammered by Germany... One defender gets redcarded and another gets injured... things are looking up for the U.S. or Ghana... whichever team can pull the win out tonight... The U.S. can really benefit since Pepe will miss the U.S. game although he is probably done for three games for the headbutt... Coentrao is out for next game more than likely and he is very good... One of their forwards is also possibly out... The United States will hopefully come out fired up and take advantage.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Guess no one cares. Thought there would be a little excitement on here. The ghana game was like the 3rd soccer game i watched. It was pretty entertaining.

Lmob0621

Reaction score
Guess no one cares. Thought there would be a little excitement on here. The ghana game was like the 3rd soccer game i watched. It was pretty entertaining.

The U.S. struck early... Ghana dominated the game and took almost the whole game to tie it... then, the U.S. team that had looked dead in the water for then entire game turns it on to get the game winner late... great game...

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Great finish for the US. They could have folded with the late goal from Ghana and all the pressure Ghana was putting on them. Hopefully, the US player that got injured will be OK for the next game. They will need him.

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
Brazil-Mexico. Should be entertaining.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Portugal - USA, I'm supporting Portugal of course as I'm half portuguese, what do you guys expect from this game?