• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

World Cup Thread

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Portugal - USA, I'm supporting Portugal of course as I'm half portuguese, what do you guys expect from this game?

I don't have high hopes after the opener. The U.S. was lucky to escape that game with a win and Portugal is going to be a motivated bunch after their opening game debacle.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have high hopes after the opener. The U.S. was lucky to escape that game with a win and Portugal is going to be a motivated bunch after their opening game debacle.

missing Pepe and especially Coentrao will be very hard for Portugal, also the morale is low so I think a tie or a lucky win from Portugal, but i can definitly see them losing and wouldn't be surprised

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The US pretty much needs to tie or win the game. If not, they will probably have to pull out the major upset over Germany to advance.

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
I see a US-Canada gold medal match-up.

Lmob0621

Reaction score

I expect that Portugal will come out flying, but hopefully they lay two eggs in a row like Spain.

Lmob0621

Reaction score
The US pretty much needs to tie or win the game. If not, they will probably have to pull out the major upset over Germany to advance.

Germany will hopefully put one on Ghana and then they may rest some players against the U.S. and not be as focused... If the U.S. loses to Portugal, then they are going to need Ghana to beat Portugal and will need a draw/win against Germany or to win off of goal differential... too many ifs that can be taken care of by playing a good game against the Portuguese.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
I wouldn't put it past fifa in this day of Political CORRECTABLILTY..... to penalize the Mexican team. Or any other team..

same with Redskins,,, Political Correctability.... bullshit.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
Germany will hopefully put one on Ghana and then they may rest some players against the U.S. and not be as focused... If the U.S. loses to Portugal, then they are going to need Ghana to beat Portugal and will need a draw/win against Germany or to win off of goal differential... too many ifs that can be taken care of by playing a good game against the Portuguese.

Only way Germany rests their players is like you said, IF USA loses. Then they want need any points and be the Groups highest seed and USA/Germany means nothing. IF USA wins it is a huge game as getting the higher seed is a HUGE advantage

SteelerinMD

Forefather
Reaction score
In round 2 G Plays H. Group H is Belgium, Russia, Korea and Algeria

Winners of the opening games G1 vs H2 / G2 Vs H1 will play the winners of the E/F Groups.

E - France, Swiss, Ecuador, Hondorus
F- Argentina, Iran, Nigera, Bosnia

Outside of Argentia and maybe France IMO is not that scary. Avoiding Brasil, Dutch and Germany for a long time.

Lmob0621

Reaction score
In round 2 G Plays H. Group H is Belgium, Russia, Korea and Algeria

Winners of the opening games G1 vs H2 / G2 Vs H1 will play the winners of the E/F Groups.

E - France, Swiss, Ecuador, Hondorus
F- Argentina, Iran, Nigera, Bosnia

Outside of Argentia and maybe France IMO is not that scary. Avoiding Brasil, Dutch and Germany for a long time.

I think that the U.S. would only be a favorite against Honduras from Group E.... they would be favored against all but Argentina in Group F. and Bosnia was up 2-0 at the half less than a year ago against the U.S. before Altidore had three goals and one assist in the second half to boost the U.S. to a 4-3 win.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
I don't watch much soccer,, I know who wayne rooney is,, and that other guy who didn't make the US team. That said...

After watching a few games ,,, and parts of some.. And the 2nd half of the US match ,,,,, It seems like our guys don't move around and pass as much as others.. maybe due to we were nursing that 1- NOTHING (notice I ddint say "Nil") lead for 90 minutes.. I don't know..

Are we anywhere able to compete with Germany? OR would it be like the 1980 US hockey vs Russia...?

Lmob0621

Reaction score
I don't watch much soccer,, I know who wayne rooney is,, and that other guy who didn't make the US team. That said...

After watching a few games ,,, and parts of some.. And the 2nd half of the US match ,,,,, It seems like our guys don't move around and pass as much as others.. maybe due to we were nursing that 1- NOTHING (notice I ddint say "Nil") lead for 90 minutes.. I don't know..

Are we anywhere able to compete with Germany? OR would it be like the 1980 US hockey vs Russia...?

The U.S. beat Germany 4-3 last year in a friendly...however, Germany did not have a lot of their regulars in that game... The U.S. can play with them, especially if Germany has locked in a spot in the knockout stage.

SteelerinMD

Forefather
Reaction score
With putting up 4 the first game, if Germany puts up another 3 on Ghana, they would clinch. US could not possibly make up the goal differential.

When was the last time neither Spain nor England made the knockout round?

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Only one match has been worth watching, the most exciting thing is watching the refs blow calls.

Hineswardkickedurpanzyass

Reaction score
you obviously didn't watch the Costa Rica games, the female fans are amazing. I am considering relocating.

Spike

Reaction score
Headline World News

U.S. blows lead with seconds remaining

MANAUS, Brazil (AP) — They were less than 30 seconds away.

The Americans were about to romp into the round of 16 at the World Cup, about to walk off with their first come-from-behind win at soccer’s showcase. About to advance with a game to spare. About to win consecutive World Cup games for the first time since 1930.

But they wilted in the Amazon heat and humidity.

http://www.salon.com/2014/06/23/are...h_seconds_remaining_musters_draw_vs_portugal/

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I still can't believe that Michael Bradley gave the ball away at midfield.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
that was an unbelievable and heartbreaking game. Not much of a soccer fan, but that was quite thrilling. The goal to tie the game was a thing of beauty. Damn!

Spike

Reaction score
I blame Global Warming