• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

You guys really DO hate Ben don't you?

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Nothing was brought up when he didn't receive a single vote for MVP (even tho Romo and Murray each got some consideration), and nothing is being brought up about his current negotiations. Either y'all are slipping or just plain hate the guy. This is the first big step for this offseason, and will likely be a tell-tale on how the rest of the offseason unfolds.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...urgh-steelers-begin-negotiations-new-contract

PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh Steelers have begun preliminary negotiations on a new contract.

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert acknowledged the contract talks Tuesday, saying that Roethlisberger still has growth potential even though the star quarterback turns 33 in less than a month.

Roethlisberger, who became the first player in Steelers franchise history to win a league passing title last season, is entering the final year of an eight-year, $102 million deal he signed in 2008.

"I really think Ben is going to be a better quarterback down the road than he is at this point," Colbert said Tuesday. "Ben is a franchise quarterback that's getting better with age."

Colbert said the Steelers have no concerns about getting a new deal done with Roethlisberger, who established career highs last season in passing yards (4,952), completions (408) and completion rate (67.1 percent).

"When you have two parties that want to achieve the same goal, it is about working out the details," Colbert said. "It could happen quickly. It could take awhile."

Roethlisberger has said he wants to play his entire career with the Steelers, and three of his four 4,000-yard passing seasons have come since he turned 29.

Colbert compared Roethlisberger to Tom Brady and Peyton Manning as far as his belief that the three-time Pro Bowler can play at a high level well into his 30s.

The general manager also said the Steelers expect Roethlisberger, who shared the 2014 NFL passing title with Drew Brees, to continue improving because the team anticipates running back Le'Veon Bell and wide receivers Antonio Brown, Martavis Bryant and Markus Wheaton all improving as well.

"I think those guys have another level they can reach," Colbert said.

The Steelers should be able to lower Roethlisberger's salary-cap hit of $18.395 million in 2015 by signing the 11-year veteran to a long-term contract. But Colbert said the Steelers have not set any deadlines as far as getting a deal done, even though free agency starts March 10.

Pittsburgh is $2.734 million under the projected salary cap of $140 million for 2015, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Colbert said the Steelers should be able to create enough room under the cap to keep their priority free agents and pursue free agents from other teams.

STEELERS R GR8

Reaction score
I don't think it is anything against Ben, yesterday I got an update that said "Steelers GM wants to re-sign Worilds and open to use Transition tag for 2nd straight year"! I thought that would have this board blowing up. Then just a short time later it said "GM confirms contract talks with Ben have begun due to mutual interest expect quick resolution" .
I am not sure what is going on but I expected to see pages after pages on both these two guys........

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
You just love attention whoring headlines, don't you?

Ben starting negotiations isn't a headline. It's like saying the sun will be up tomorrow, or the Pats Cheat.

Perhaps when a deal is signed, the actual news will be talked about here...

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
No doubt this is great news. It will be even better when they sign him, hopefully, in the next week or two. Then, they can move on to fixing the D. But, for now, getting this done is priority number 1.

oicu8ad

Reaction score
I NEVER want to go back to what I had to endure in the years between Terry and Ben.

oicu8ad

Reaction score
I wish I was good at Photoshop & creating gifs. I'd take the longer version of this video, where he says: "He beat me. Pay him. Pay dat man his money". And I'd Photoshop John Harbaugh's face on KGB's face. That would be a good one.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Nothing was brought up when he didn't receive a single vote for MVP (even tho Romo and Murray each got some consideration)

In 49 1/2 other states he is still known as Ben Rapistburger. MVP is never gonna happen.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
yeah...mm No, no one here hates Ben. Well maybe the trolls that sometimes inhabitate around

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Hoping he gets a 5-6 year deal to close out his career. We need to win now while Ben is still in his prime

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
In fairness, if I'm Tombert I remind him how it's going in Baltimore where the QB sucks up a ton of cap room. Yeah I know they're a little better than us right now but that's just because they have a defense.
Brady on the other hand takes a little less since his wife works and they can keep a better team around him, although I wouldn't be surprised if Kraft has breifcases full of cash delivered to his house to keep it off the books.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
No need to react to news that is totally expected. It would be like starting a thread based on the news "Colbert says Steelers unlikely to use franchise tag on Matt Spaeth".

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
This isn't breaking news, i'm pretty sure most if not everyone expected this and expects a deal to be done.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's good news if he re-signs. We'll have one of the better players in the league at the most important position, but it will come at a cost. It'll be a lot of salary cap tied-up in one player.

Max Power

Forefather
Reaction score
It wasn't IF, it was when and that is why it isn't HEADLINE NEWS.

deljzc

Reaction score
The only "team friendly" deal I can think might even work is something like this:

6-years, $120 million with $59 million guaranteed (all the money in the first 3 seasons is guaranteed):

2015 - $1 million base salary, $25 million signing bonus, $12.8 million cap hit
2016 - $15 million base salary, $20 million cap hit (easily re-negotiated here)
2017 - $18 million base salary, $23 million cap hit
2018 - $20 million base salary, $25 million cap hit
2019 - $20 million base salary, $25 million cap hit
2020 - $21 million base salary, $21 million cap hit

I think this will be the biggest contract in NFL history if signed (both in total and guarantees).

Doc

Reaction score
Thread title and content seem off on this here thread.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's good news if he re-signs. We'll have one of the better players in the league at the most important position, but it will come at a cost. It'll be a lot of salary cap tied-up in one player.
yeah but so are quite a few other teams.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
It got people talking about something other than the Patriots didn't it?

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
I think there was an article about Ben somewhere today and none of you are even talking about it. Haters.

skialta

Reaction score
what a ******* stupid thread title

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Shlit, when something happens, then we can go overboard, but for now, I say walk the plank, with this thread.

Salute the nation

Vader

Reaction score

I'm sure you think it would be good news if the Steelers let him go and signed a rookie so their cap space would be maximized. Lots of teams win SBs with nobody QBs. Hell the Steelers won tons of SBs with Kordell Stewart, Kent Graham, Maddox ETC... Boy the good ole days when cheap QBs lead the Steelers to the promise land...