• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Your Best Game in Attendance Story

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Playoff game versus the Ratbirds in 2011. The wife scored some tickets at face from someone at her work who couldn't go.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
Steelers at Vikings 2005. Metrodome was at least 50% black and gold! What stands out the most in my memory was one particular vikes fan. The look of absolute frustration as he walked around seeing steeler gear everywhere. Dude looked like the type that would harass and bully other fans but he was too scared to pull his crap because of our numbers.

Muddler

Reaction score
I'll go with "The most INTERESTING GAME" I attended.

Living out here in Oregon, we don't see many Steelers games so when they played in SF on a MNF game a buddy and I decided to make a long weekend of it and take our wives for a mini vacay in San Fiasco which is a great city to visit anyway. Had a great time visiting Alcatraz, riding streetcars, wandering thru Chinatown and eating Primanti Sandwiches with dozens of other Steeler Fans at Giordano Bros. The game itself was at OLD funky Candlestick Park and turned out to be the infamous "Blackout Game". First time the power went out we thought it was a planned thing to build the excitement level. Second time we knew it was a serious problem. Game wasn't that great - Steelers lost to an Alex Smith led team and the 69er fans were surprisingly nasty - though as usual there was a LOT of Black and Gold in the stands and I think they were pissed about it. Great weekend though and lots of memories from it.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I was at Santa Clara last year. Unfortunately Ben was already gone for the season. Defense played great and the offense made some plays. But when they did the 49ers answered quickly. The stadium and atmosphere was fine. I enjoyed Oregon vs. Stanford the day before. Good trip overall.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I second that. Great story. I have several similar stories from coaching. And the feelings you get. The winning and losing seems so important at the time, but it really isn't. Its the TEAM. Its being part of something bigger than yourself.

I agree. When I played ice hockey we had to fundraise for our gear because it wasn’t a sport well known in the desert southwest US.
When I purchased my first ccm tacks skates. Oh boy.

But that made me appreciate my teammates dedication to the team/sport and we hustled for each other.
Because of the smaller roster compared to football. The connection to my teammates felt more than when I played football.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh man, I seem to remember it vaguely but if we could get video of that, that would be a miracle. Hines was one tough SOB.

Had to have been 99 or 2000.
I remember cause that’s around the time I started getting into football.
Three rivers Hines Ward early days. Considering he was a rookie in 98. Made more appearances in 1999-2000

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I agree. When I played ice hockey we had to fundraise for our gear because it wasn’t a sport well known in the desert southwest US.
When I purchased my first ccm tacks skates. Oh boy.

But that made me appreciate my teammates dedication to the team/sport and we hustled for each other.
Because of the smaller roster compared to football. The connection to my teammates felt more than when I played football.

I had a defensive partner I played with for like 3 seasons. Never once saw him off the rink. But we were like brothers on. And he was a big ****** dude. Got me out of a lot of **** my bad temper started.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
The greatest sporting event I ever attended was watching my college UMBC as a 16 seed, upset the #1 seed UVA and kill them by 20pts in the NCAA Mens BB Tourney. Nothing can touch that, because that is the longshot of longshots. The upset of upsets. Plus there were only like 300 UMBC fans in the whole arena (Students/family/alumni)

I've seen so many great Steeler games, a ton in Balt: Ben getting his nose broken and winning, Batch winning. Holmes' TD coming back out of the EZ. Pola timing the snap, and coming around the edge for the fumble and return to set up the GW TD.

I loved the 41-0 game in CLE xmas eve 2005 where Harrison body slammed a fan.

Loved the Harrison on crack MNF game 2007. Ben had 5 TDs in the first half, and it was a laugher. The Xmas day game with AB reaching for the GW TD. Immaculate Extension!

I was also in Denver when Flacco threw the GW TD, to make it into the AFCC. Great game, even though it wasn't the Steelers.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
My wife and I saw the last Browns game in Three Rivers...So it was only fitting to get tickets to the First Raven's game at Heinz Field. Unfortunately, I knocked her up and she couldn't go, so I took my Father-in-law to his first ever Steeler Game.

I got seats directly behind the Steeler's Bench 11 rows from the Field on the 45 yard line. My Father-in-law was so excited he skipped the tailgate I had planned. He got out of my truck and just started walking to the stadium. This is a man who grew up in a house with 10 brothers and sisters with only his mother to support them all. He himself a blue collar guy who did well for his family but never had the means to go to a game in person.

It was a great game and the Steelers should have been ahead in the 4th quarter but Kris ******* Brown had shanked three or four field goals already. 4th quarter and Heinz is rocking, Kordell is leading the offense on a game winning drive. Time ticking down....and I glance down to the Steeler's bench and Kris Brown isn't warming up. Like 40 seconds left on the clock with the Steeler's in FG range, and Mr. Shankapotamus is sitting on his ***. Up out of my seat I lept with a fury that caused everyone around us to take notice. I got to the rail and yelled "BROWN!!!!!" and he slightly looked over his shoulder "I KNOW YOU CAN HEAR ME...START WARMING UP!!!!!" at this point people behind me started yelling at him as well. I was screaming all sorts of demotivational and character assassinating insults. He finally got up...put on his helmet...and trotted onto the field. I got back to my seat and fans were all pissed off. He lined up for the field goal and I hung my head...I couldn't watch. I heard his foot hit the ball and the crowd moan....and then it was 60,000 pissed off people focused on a single asshat.

I left the stadium so pissed that I had 20/20 vision. no ****. didn't need my glasses. Maybe I had so much blood pooled up in my head that my eyes were bulging? But I had a great day with my Father-In-Law and in the end, he still talks about it to this day.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Badcat. That is a true Steelers fan story. The rage really comes out. Seems like Steelers kickers always seem to have a headcase year. I gotta be honest. I thought they should have dumped Boswell, but it looked like he got his **** together. But [part of me is still concerned.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I saw the last Browns game in Three Rivers...So it was only fitting to get tickets to the First Raven's game at Heinz Field. Unfortunately, I knocked her up and she couldn't go, so I took my Father-in-law to his first ever Steeler Game.

I got seats directly behind the Steeler's Bench 11 rows from the Field on the 45 yard line. My Father-in-law was so excited he skipped the tailgate I had planned. He got out of my truck and just started walking to the stadium. This is a man who grew up in a house with 10 brothers and sisters with only his mother to support them all. He himself a blue collar guy who did well for his family but never had the means to go to a game in person.

It was a great game and the Steelers should have been ahead in the 4th quarter but Kris ******* Brown had shanked three or four field goals already. 4th quarter and Heinz is rocking, Kordell is leading the offense on a game winning drive. Time ticking down....and I glance down to the Steeler's bench and Kris Brown isn't warming up. Like 40 seconds left on the clock with the Steeler's in FG range, and Mr. Shankapotamus is sitting on his ***. Up out of my seat I lept with a fury that caused everyone around us to take notice. I got to the rail and yelled "BROWN!!!!!" and he slightly looked over his shoulder "I KNOW YOU CAN HEAR ME...START WARMING UP!!!!!" at this point people behind me started yelling at him as well. I was screaming all sorts of demotivational and character assassinating insults. He finally got up...put on his helmet...and trotted onto the field. I got back to my seat and fans were all pissed off. He lined up for the field goal and I hung my head...I couldn't watch. I heard his foot hit the ball and the crowd moan....and then it was 60,000 pissed off people focused on a single asshat.

I left the stadium so pissed that I had 20/20 vision. no ****. didn't need my glasses. Maybe I had so much blood pooled up in my head that my eyes were bulging? But I had a great day with my Father-In-Law and in the end, he still talks about it to this day.

Ugh, I was at that game. It was the first game I took my wife to. I was wearing a #3 jersey with my name on it, since it was my hockey number. I got heckled for it on the way out of our stadium...

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Badcat. That is a true Steelers fan story. The rage really comes out. Seems like Steelers kickers always seem to have a headcase year. I gotta be honest. I thought they should have dumped Boswell, but it looked like he got his **** together. But [part of me is still concerned.

Boswell missed 2 kicks last year. 2. That leads the league for kickers that played more than 3 games

Of kickers that played a full season, only he and Greg Zuerlein were perfect on XPs.

Boz is a pro bowler with one bad year. I'm glad we kept him.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Boswell missed 2 kicks last year. 2. That leads the league for kickers that played more than 3 games

Of kickers that played a full season, only he and Greg Zuerlein were perfect on XPs.

Boz is a pro bowler with one bad year. I'm glad we kept him.

Yes, I'm glad to be wrong on that one. I just don't recall him hitting a game winner last year so I need to see that yet. Just my opinion.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I'm glad to be wrong on that one. I just don't recall him hitting a game winner last year so I need to see that yet. Just my opinion.

I hear you. At least he didn't lose any for us. I know in 2017 he won like 4 at the buzzer. This past year, his kick against the Cots was the game winner, but we still had just under half a QTR to play to keep that lead. His kicks against ARI, MIA, and CLE extended the leads, and he had the last 2 FGs in the 4th to give the Steelers the win against Cincy late.

He hit the go ahead FG against BAL the first time with 2:30 to play, but they came back and tied it, then won in OT.

Reaction score
I've got 2 stories. January 7th 1995 the Steelers played the Belichik led Browns in the playoffs. I had moved to Baltimore a few years earlier and the NFL was dead here. No team for 11 years and no one cared. My best friend lived in DC. We, along with a friend of his also living in DC, decided to go to this game. I was the only one who had a car so I was driving (it was a company car). I picked them up at the Shady Grove metro stop. It was starting to snow and freezing rain. By the time we got to Hagerstown we needed to stop and eat. We pulled into a fast food place and the parking lot was like a skating rink. We kept going west and when we were deciding which way to go I said "lets take I-68 so when we spin out, no one will hit us". I-68 goes through the mountains of western Maryland and West Virginia. Just past Frostburg the back end of my Pontiac Grand Am passed me by and we wound up facing the other way against the guardrail. Fortunately there was no other traffic and the car was undamaged. Anyway, the normally 4.5 hour trip took 8+ hours and we got to my friends parents house around 2AM. The game was at 12:30 on Saturday so we had to get moving. What a great freakin' game. The Steelers dominated the clowns. The place was going nuts when Lake sacked Testaverde for the safety at the end. I never would have thought that any team could come in and beat the Steelers the next week...:sorrow:

The other one was January 15th 2011. In carpool line here in Baltimore, a fellow Steelers fan offered my wife 4 tickets at face value for the Steelers Ravens playoff game. My then 10 year old daughter and 9 year old son had never been to a Steelers game. It was a 4:30 saturday game so we drove in on game day. When I puled into the Gateway center parking garage there was a sign that said "no tailgating". I proceeded to open a beer. A security guard heard it and yelled "no tailgating" I yelled back "I just drove in from Baltimore and it will only be one" He was cool with it. We then walked over and joined the same friend from the game 16 years earlier and other friends from High School. Tailgating was a blast and the kids were loving it. The Steelers scored first and I was hoping for a rats ***-kicking. The ravens tied it up and then in a bizarre play (while I was in the bathroom) Ben "fumbled" and it looked like the ball was dead but a rat player picked it up and ran it in. All the sudden we were down. Then Spinthenfall fumbled deep in our own end (foreshadowing) and the rats went up 21-7. Swishy then missed a FG right before halftime and we were down 21-7 at half. My son said "school is going to be hell on Monday if we lose" After a bunch of raven fumbles, the steelers manage to tie the game. A couple of field goals and it is 24-24. Then on 3rd and 19 Ben launches a bomb to rookie AB and he catches it against his helmet. The place was going nuts and the whole upper deck was swaying. Needless to say the Steelers won but my kids had an absolute blast. Great memories for the family.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Ugh, I was at that game. It was the first game I took my wife to. I was wearing a #3 jersey with my name on it, since it was my hockey number. I got heckled for it on the way out of our stadium...

Oh...you poor man. I hope it wasn't me. lol

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
I had season tickets for two and half seasons and only the big losses stand out -

Jan.1993 divisional playoff game against Bills at Three Rivers. We're losing at halftime so I buy and expensive Steeler winter coat to bring us luck. Then they really kicked our ***.

Jan 1995. Chargers. You know the rest.

Last edited:

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I had season tickets for two and half seasons and only the big losses stand out -

Jan.1993 divisional playoff game against Bills at Three Rivers. We're losing at halftime so I buy and expensive Steeler winter to bring us luck. Then they really kicked our ***.

Jan 1995. Chargers. You know the rest.

2 1/2 year season ticket holder and only the big losses stand out. That's gold right there.

Gridiron

Banned
Reaction score
I went to the old Baltimore Memorial Stadium on Oct 10,1997.The rats went out to a quick 21-0 lead and then Kordell went crazy with an 74 yard TD run an 80 yard TD pass to Thigpen and the Steelers won 42-34. The Steeler fans absolutely took over the stadium.

stevielee

Reaction score
Been to a couple at Three Rivers and quite a few at Heinz but the one I remember most was in Baltimore the year the rats won their first Super Bowl. Took my wife and stepson who at the time was a Cowboys fan ( I've since converted him to the Steelers) and he was wearing his Cowboy jersey. Three guys who were rats fans were sitting in front of us and the game had barely started when they turned around and started giving my step-son **** about his Cowboy jersey. Took about 1 minute for my blood to start boiling and I said, hey ******** instead of picking on a 10-year old why don't you try someone who can actually defend themself.They turned around and one said something to the effect of okay you ******* ******** if you want your *** kicked in front of your family that's on you there's three of us and one of you. Then I heard someone behind me yell WRONG. I turned around and there was 2 very large Cowboy fans sitting behind us. He said your math sucks cause there's 3 of us and if you bother his boy again you'll all be leaving on stretchers. Didn't hear a peep from those ******* the rest of the day. Never really cared all that much for Cowboy fans but I sure didn't mind them that day and ended up buying them each a couple beers.
As for the game the Steelers won 9-6. Steelers D was dominant but in fairness they were facing Dilfer. Steelers scored the only TD of the game and of course I was in the bathroom slinging lemonade at the time (they missed the extra point).
Haven't been back to that **** hole since. Bunch of no-class grade A ********.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I went to the old Baltimore Memorial Stadium on Oct 10,1997.The rats went out to a quick 21-0 lead and then Kordell went crazy with an 74 yard TD run an 80 yard TD pass to Thigpen and the Steelers won 42-34. The Steeler fans absolutely took over the stadium.

Don't forget Blackwell taking a KR to the house! I was at that game with my boss at the time when I worked at UMBC. He never talked to me again after that comeback! **** him. Steelers win!!

Plust that was a 50/50 crowd at best. Memorial stadium never had more Ravens Fans than Steeler Fans!!!!

Reaction score
Been to a couple at Three Rivers and quite a few at Heinz but the one I remember most was in Baltimore the year the rats won their first Super Bowl. Took my wife and stepson who at the time was a Cowboys fan ( I've since converted him to the Steelers) and he was wearing his Cowboy jersey. Three guys who were rats fans were sitting in front of us and the game had barely started when they turned around and started giving my step-son **** about his Cowboy jersey. Took about 1 minute for my blood to start boiling and I said, hey ******** instead of picking on a 10-year old why don't you try someone who can actually defend themself.They turned around and one said something to the effect of okay you ******* ******** if you want your *** kicked in front of your family that's on you there's three of us and one of you. Then I heard someone behind me yell WRONG. I turned around and there was 2 very large Cowboy fans sitting behind us. He said your math sucks cause there's 3 of us and if you bother his boy again you'll all be leaving on stretchers. Didn't hear a peep from those ******* the rest of the day. Never really cared all that much for Cowboy fans but I sure didn't mind them that day and ended up buying them each a couple beers.
As for the game the Steelers won 9-6. Steelers D was dominant but in fairness they were facing Dilfer. Steelers scored the only TD of the game and of course I was in the bathroom slinging lemonade at the time (they missed the extra point).
Haven't been back to that **** hole since. Bunch of no-class grade A ********.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I was at that game too. My neighbor and his wife had tickets but she had a wicked hangover and he comes over around 10 and asks me to go. It was a boring as hell game but a blast that we won.