Amazing that NFL Football is starting on time after the Covid-19 pandemic caused the entire sports world to shut down for a few months. Questions about the feasibility of reopening sports have subsided with the successful return of international soccer leagues, MLB, NBA, NHL, and now the NFL. The league only has one current person on the Covid-19, and no current members of the Pittsburgh Steelers are on it.
All-Pro guard David DeCastro injured his knee on August 28th and missed all 3 practices this week. He is listed as out and will not play on Monday Night.
Second year wide receiver Diontae Johnson gave Steeler Nation a scare when he didn’t practice on Thursday with a foot injury. Fortunately he practiced fully on Friday and Saturday, and is not currently listed on the injury report. Now we will see if Johnson can build on his success after leading the team in receptions as a rookie.
The rules have changed for inactive list players this year. Instead of deactivating 7 players in years past, this year only 5 players will be given an inactive designation.
This is a link to our current spreadsheet. It will update on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday after the practice reports are issued, as well as Post-Game and Tuesday after Coach Tomlin’s press conferences. Bookmark it to see how the health of the Steelers are shaping up each week.
This week I believe the inactive players will be:
- Josh Dobbs: Healthy Scratch/ 3rd QB
- David DeCastro: Listed as out, so he will not play
- James Pierre: Steelers have an overabundance of defensive backs. The one with the least amount of experience should sit.
- Carlos Davis: The Steelers had a habit of sitting one DL last year, and I think that will continue again this season.
- Zach Gentry: The swing tackle is a better blocker and he doesn’t play much on special teams. He was frequently inactive last year and should start off there again this year.
RB Jaylen Samuels, C J.C. Hassenauer, and LB/S Marcus Allen are also options. It will be interesting to see what personnel grouping the Steelers take advantage of with this reduced inactive list. I have given priority to the players I feel, will make the most impact on special teams.
Who do you think will be inactive for the Steelers this week? Let us know in the comments below.