There was a bit of a learning curve figuring out the inactive list last week, not for me, but for Pittsburgh Steelers head coach, Mike Tomlin. The team should have carried five inactives since they had eight active offensive linemen. If you carry less than eight offensive linemen, you must have six inactive players, which is what the Steelers went with last week.
All-Pro offensive guard, David DeCastro injured his knee on August 28th and missed all three practices this week. He is again listed as out and will not play the home opener.
Zach Banner had the worst case scenario happen. He injured his knee severely, had surgery yesterday, and shouldn’t be back until next season. The team also resigned Jerald Hawkins to serve as the extra blocking tackle and backup swing tackle.
The Steelers also placed Stefen Wisniewski on Injured Reserve with at pectoral injury. The good news this year is you can bring back as many players as you want, as long as they spend at least three weeks on IR. I expect him to be back before the bye week. Derwin Gray was added to the roster to replace him.
Everyone else appears to be healthy so this week’s inactives should be similar to last week’s.
This is a link to our current spreadsheet. It will update on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday after the practice reports are issued, as well as post-game and Tuesday after Coach Tomlin’s press conferences. Bookmark it to see how the health of the Steelers are shaping up each week. Or visit here.
This week I believe the inactive players will be:
- Josh Dobbs: Healthy scratch/ 3rd QB
- David DeCastro: Listed as out, so he will not play
- Ulysees Gilbert: He was inactive last week, and is listed as the only 3rd string linebacker on the depth chart.
- Carlos Davis: The Steelers had a habit of sitting one DL last year, he sat last week and should sit again this week.
- Zach Gentry: The swing tackle is a better blocker and he doesn’t play much on special teams. He was frequently inactive last year, was inactive last week, and should start off there again this year.
RB Anthony McFarland was a healthy scratch last week. I felt he would have played last week had only five players been listed inactive. It is smart to have an extra running back with James Conner dealing with an ankle injury.
Who do you think will be inactive for the Steelers this week? Let us know in the comments section below.